Florida Panthers @ New Jersey Devils-10/18/05

moustic

11,166. That has to be the worst Devils attendance I can remember. Any specific reaosn besides the early season struggles for attendance to be that low?

It's a Tuesday night in the state of New Jersey, and if the weather there's anything like the weather was in Albany today, it's probably raining. Need there be any other reason?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening to the Hawks/Canucks game and they mentioned that Cloutier has 3 consecutive 30 win seasons and only one other goalie can say that and his name is Brodeur. :evil: Yeah Marty was shaky on a couple but it's all about the wins. He's gotta get the rust off and some poundage and he'll be in top form again.

And as for attendance :rolleyes: it's a freaking Tuesday night vs the Panthers. Any questions? :P

11,166. That has to be the worst Devils attendance I can remember. Any specific reaosn besides the early season struggles for attendance to be that low?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the crowd sounded enormous coming through the tv.

i didn't make it out there tonight, got out of work too late to make the bus out of port authority.

The Devils probably should have won by more. But when you look at all the giveaways in the stat column, that sums up why this game was close:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20052006/ES020091.HTM

Other thoughts:

Parise and Kozlov were excellent as was Gionta. And those who criticized Langenbrunner, well he showed up. Madden's line was good.

Gomez still looks like he's floating. Does this guy ever shoot the puck? Also, nice job pulling that Panthers' stick to his face to draw a penalty. You got to be kidding me. And Chico tried to say it wasn't intentional. :blink:

Martin is the Devils' 2nd best defenseman.

Brodeur was better but that 2nd goal he gave up was atrocious.

Devils outhustled Florida most of the night and played hungry.

Oh yeah. Your power play was awesome.

Panthers just look depleted. They have a lot of injuries and it's obvious that it's affected their D. Luongo was under siege.

Horton and Weiss looked okay as did Kolnik. I'm sorry bruins but Bouwmeester is just not what he should be. For a guy picked that high (2nd overall), he should be better. He took a lazy penalty.

Kolnik's penalty was stupid. I am a firm believer that anytime a player hits a guy like that from behind it should be at least a double minor.

Edited by Derek21

It's a Tuesday night in the state of New Jersey, and if the weather there's anything like the weather was in Albany today, it's probably raining.  Need there be any other reason?

It's RAINING?!?! Good lord, I stand at a bus stop with 20 other people at -49 degrees F, leaning against a giant snow/ice bank, with a horrid arctic wind blowing the snow in our faces.

I'm sorry bruins but Bouwmeester is just not what he should be. For a guy picked that high (2nd overall), he should be better. He took a lazy penalty.

Can't aruge there either... he was brutal and got abused all night long and was on the "getting served" end of almost every Devil goal tonight... I only noticed it as I kept hearing his name and the words.. beaten... past.. and SCORE after his name B )

not that I mind but the kid had a ROUGH night

crowd was sad. two sections upstairs literally had zero people sitting in them. tuesday game vs a team like florida doesn't help but this team will have attendance problems all year.

its funny that there's praise for langenbrunner because from my vantage point in section 211 tonight, he seemed slow. besides the great pass to mogilny on the pp, he just seemed a second and 1/2 slower than everyone else.

the devils did play very well though and had it not been for two bad turnovers and luongo playing well, this would have been a 6-1 game.

One word! Skate! They skated tonight. Every line, every man. They looked good! Really good! Still not convinced they're the real deal until they bring the same thing every night.

Paul Martin and Zach Parise are the real deal. Both of them looked like they saw the ice well and didn't get rattled. The lines worked well, but I think it was more the players hustling than the new lines. Gomez was back to his form and Kozlov is looking like I knew he could. I really hope they both give that effort all season...

Marty and Langenbrunner both look out of shape. Definitely nt as quick as they should be. Gotta get them on a diet!

I think Madden's pulling ahead of the rest in the race for Captain. He leads by example and as long as he can keep it up, I think he's a shoe-in. Rafalski just doesn't scream Captain to me and Mogilny is a little to aloof.

Oh, well. Great game but I'd like to see them do this against some good teams.

-Dan

Great game tonight. I love that Paul Martin is back. I love Parise's emotion. I love how when Kozlov skates with the puck no one can knock him off of it. I loved Lang's pass to Almo. I love that we scored 3 PP goals and that we only took one penalty. Im all about the love tonight.

Edited by Satans Child

I missed periods 1 and 2, but caught period three.

Was Brodeur really as bad as 3 goals on 24 shots? That's just horrible... that's the late 90's Brodeur save percentage that I came to loathe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends on how you view the goals Florida got. All three were the direct result of careless Devil turnovers.

First goal: Mogilny lazily loses the puck to Horton in the slot, who blasts it by a surprised Brodeur from about six feet out. How can you fault the goalie there?

Second goal: Another Devil brainlock leads to Florida keeping the puck in and eventually scoring. This was a brutal goal though. I can't even remember the guy who scored it. It was their fourth line and he just centered the puck from behind the goal line and Brodeur was standing casually and lets it roll under his leg. I wouldn't blame NJ fans for screaming their asses off about that considering how they played in the 2nd.

Third goal: Another awful Devil turnover leads to Kolnik's goal. Gelinas outworked someone and centered the puck right through the crease after Brodeur was still down from a save. Nobody picks up Kolnik in the slot and he fires it past Brodeur's outstretched glove as NJ just scrambled around.

Bottom line: Brodeur gave up one bad goal despite all his team's poor turnovers. They had problems controlling the puck thru the neutral zone. In future games, when you turn it over as much they did, it's not going to help Brodeur.

Viktor Kozlov reminded me a little bit of Jason Allison tonight watching him protect the puck as he skated around the back of Luongo's net. They both do a good job using their hips and stick when they skate under pressure to keep opponents away from the puck.

I missed periods 1 and 2, but caught period three.

Was Brodeur really as bad as 3 goals on 24 shots? That's just horrible... that's the late 90's Brodeur save percentage that I came to loathe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Second goal: Another Devil brainlock leads to Florida keeping the puck in and eventually scoring. This was a brutal goal though. I can't even remember the guy who scored it. It was their fourth line and he just centered the puck from behind the goal line and Brodeur was standing casually and lets it roll under his leg. I wouldn't blame NJ fans for screaming their asses off about that considering how they played in the 2nd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 2nd goal was scored by Serge Payer. Brodeur didn't have the post shut off and the puck was banked into the net off the bottom of his leg. Usually he has that post sealed off pretty well. Definately not a good goal for him.

Dont know who - but the Devs need to name a captain -- and soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm still voting for Madden on this one. The guy had to be HELPED OFF THE ICE and was back for the 2nd, flying up the ice as much as he was skating.

*sniffle*

made me tear up there for a sec. :hail: