Berard tested positive for nandrolone

L

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=151485&hubname=

berard_79923.jpg

TSN.ca Staff

1/19/2006 6:44:43 PM

Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman Bryan Berard tested positive for a banned substance as part of drug testing for the Olympics.

Sources say Berard, who was invited to the U.S. summer Olympic evaluation camp and therefore eligible for Olympic testing, tested positive for the substance nandrolone, an anabolic steroid which is on the IOC banned substance list.

A positive test means that Berard is ineligible for any international competition for the next two years. The test will not impact on the Olympics in February as Berard was not selected to the U.S. team.

The positive Olympic test will have no impact on his current standing or status within the National Hockey League.

The test was apparently conducted in November with the results being made known to Berard in December.

Sources say the NHL was made aware of the positive test in December. Sources also suggest that Berard voluntarily went to the league in late December and underwent league sanctioned testing, which came back negative for any banned substances.

Sources say Berard attributed the positive test to a supplement he was taking in off-season training.

Berard would only be sanctioned by the NHL if he tested positive within the joint testing program of the NHL and NHL Players Association which began last Sunday.

Blue Jackets executive director of communications Todd Sharrock says the team is aware of the report, but will have no comment "until the results are confirmed by the group that administered the test."

The 28-year old former first overall selection in the 1995 Draft has 9 goals and 18 assists in 40 games with the Blue Jackets this season.

OK so when I heard this on tsn, i didn't catch the entire thing. I was wondering if maybe the steriod that he had testing positive for could possibly have been to help with his eye, but obviously not. This test was an international test, so all it means is that he is prohibited from participating in any IIHF event for 2 years..big deal. In the NHL's eyes he is still a clean player..unless his drug test that everyone took Sunday comes back positive anyhow.....So what? As if no one has ever done something wrong in their lives..really. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. He's just the first to be caught, there will probably be more, no matter how much any player, GM, Coach vehemently denies it...

OK so when I heard this on tsn, i didn't catch the entire thing. I was wondering if maybe the steriod that he had testing positive for could possibly have been to help with his eye, but obviously not. This test was an international test, so all it means is that he is prohibited from participating in any IIHF event for 2 years..big deal. In the NHL's eyes he is still a clean player..unless his drug test that everyone took Sunday comes back positive anyhow.....So what? As if no one has ever done something wrong in their lives..really. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. He's just the first to be caught, there will probably be more, no matter how much any player, GM, Coach vehemently denies it...

Hey, maybe the goal he scored against us in overtime can be "nullified" and we get another point in the standings due to forfeit :dance::P

I thought there was nobody in hockey using performance enhancing drugs?

Obviously, Berard didn't even know what to do with them when he took them. What I don't understand is why the positive test doesn't count when it is for one of the things the NHL would have tested for anyway. They test for the same things the Olympics tests for. That's one of the reasons Pound threw a fit, because the Olympics took Sudafed off the banned list. Basically, Berard got caught DURING the season taking something his league says is illegal and he's not going to get suspended by his league. There's something wrong here.

I'd ask if he's too stupid to read the labels but we all know where that would lead again. At least he didn't say he thought it was B12.

It's such bulls**t. This whole thing about steroids. They should have a minimum allowance so that these guys can take some healing medications which involve a certain ammount of steroid. Why is it that the rest of us can take medication when we're sick or injured and these poor bastards cant?

It's such bulls**t. This whole thing about steroids. They should have a minimum allowance so that these guys can take some healing medications which involve a certain ammount of steroid. Why is it that the rest of us can take medication when we're sick or injured and these poor bastards cant?

If you have to take a medication that contains a banned sustance to recover from a real injury and it is prescribed by your attending physician as part of your treatment, you are supposed to report that to the governing bodies. If it is legitimate, that's supposed to be OK. These people know what the legitimate course of treatment and the prescribed medications are supposed to be. You notice Berard said it was in a supplement he took. Well, wtf did he GET the supplement and what was it for? He never SAID it was for an injury. And, in further response to your statement, the reason the Olympic Committee took Sudafed off the list of banned substances is BECAUSE they got tired of guys like the NHL players showing up at the Olympics with colds and getting told that they had them and couldn't get rid of them because what they normally took was Sudafed (because it didn't cause drowsiness) and they had to stop taking it. So, you see, they DO respond.

I'm surprised at all the varied reactions here. Berard felt he had to take steroids - yeah... we can laugh but YEAH... probably because he has one eye. He probably feels intense pressure to perform at the elite level despite his impaired vision. What is shocking about that? What is excusable about that? What's so taboo about stating a fact?

My thoughts -- sure he was trying to give himself any edge possible -- sure, he he knew what he was doing and yeah... it's because HE HAS ONE EYE! :P And yeah folks it IS illegal. And yeah ONE guy in hockey is not excusable. It doesn't mean the whole league is 'roided up... I mean no one said it does. But lets not laugh it off and think it's no big deal. And lets not make it a big deal either -- but you all are over reacting -- one person says he was on steroid on purpose and you all say THAT DOIESN"T MEAN THE WHOLE NHL IS! WHO SAID IT DOES?? yeash... lighten up and face facts.

Red, the drug policy went into effect 1/1/06 as part of what they agreed to with the players union for the new cba - Obviously, with the cba not finalized until last summer, you couldn't just suddenly subject everyone, you had to give guys time to look at what was on the banned list and make sure they weren't included in the various supplements and vitamins these guys take - Obviously if you're shooting something, you know it's wrong, but professional athletes, especially hockey because of the extreme water and weight loss associated with on ice conditioning, requires careful diet and various supplements to replace / regenerate your bodies needs. It's not like you or me going to the gym and needing a bottle of gatorade to replace some electrolytes, these guys are punishing their bodies and need them to heal overnight and respond to punishment the next day. They need more than a power bar to do that. So, you give them 4-6 months to make sure the stuff they eat and drink is just vitamins and protiens as opposed to some of the wonderful chemicals being pushed by "personal trainers", then start testing.

What I've always wondered was why samples are not tested when taken - this was from last summer, they get around to testing it in November? What's up with that?

Anyway, the nhl policy is pretty strict - something like 20 games for the first offense, 60 the next, lifetime the third. I don't think MLB or NFL, where the steroid problem dates back to the 1970's (I remember Alzado and a couple other raider guys dying very young and their deaths being linked to steroid abuse) and is well documented and absolutely affects the youth of the nation (high school kids usually don't grow to 280 to 320 lbs before their 18th birthday unless they've had some help - and that help is coming from adults trying to bank on their potential futures) have policies quite as strict - but, we also don't know what is or is not on the banned substance list for each.

Red, the drug policy went into effect 1/1/06 as part of what they agreed to with the players union for the new cba - Obviously, with the cba not finalized until last summer, you couldn't just suddenly subject everyone, you had to give guys time to look at what was on the banned list and make sure they weren't included in the various supplements and vitamins these guys take - Obviously if you're shooting something, you know it's wrong, but professional athletes, especially hockey because of the extreme water and weight loss associated with on ice conditioning, requires careful diet and various supplements to replace / regenerate your bodies needs. It's not like you or me going to the gym and needing a bottle of gatorade to replace some electrolytes, these guys are punishing their bodies and need them to heal overnight and respond to punishment the next day. They need more than a power bar to do that. So, you give them 4-6 months to make sure the stuff they eat and drink is just vitamins and protiens as opposed to some of the wonderful chemicals being pushed by "personal trainers", then start testing.

What I've always wondered was why samples are not tested when taken - this was from last summer, they get around to testing it in November? What's up with that?

Anyway, the nhl policy is pretty strict - something like 20 games for the first offense, 60 the next, lifetime the third. I don't think MLB or NFL, where the steroid problem dates back to the 1970's (I remember Alzado and a couple other raider guys dying very young and their deaths being linked to steroid abuse) and is well documented and absolutely affects the youth of the nation (high school kids usually don't grow to 280 to 320 lbs before their 18th birthday unless they've had some help - and that help is coming from adults trying to bank on their potential futures) have policies quite as strict - but, we also don't know what is or is not on the banned substance list for each.

Thanks for the info i did not know the policy just took effect.

The NHL really can't do anything here. Even if they wanted to suspend him, their deal on drug testing with the NHLPA says a player can only be supendend based on an NHL drug test. What would be interesting is if they just "randomly" chose to test Berard after todays game, I bet the stuff is still in his system.

i don't think that his NHL drug test will come back positive,.,,he admitted that he had taken the substance prior to the season...these tests were done in October i believe as a aprt of olympic testing b/c he had went to the US hockey camp. He was truthful about the use and told the NHL of this. O well.when his NHL tests come back from sunday we'll all know...otherwise..whatever..

That's fvckdp!!! so he won't be suspended?!!?

No Swede he won't the test he failed was not an NHL test..therefore these results have no bearing on his NHL status when it comes to drugs