Loughlin named Devils radio play-by-play announcer

MantaRay

I have to admit I have a soft spot for Loughlin as I remember him from his days at Suburban Cablevision. He used to broadcast local HS games (football) along with Bruce Beck of WNBC.

However, he is not a PBP guy. A color guy at best, and a decent student of the game as he has shown in his between period assignments. It's unfortunately not a compelling reason for me to listen on the radio.

Well the Devils continue their recent tradition of radio personalities that would bore me to sleep, since Matt often did that when he was subbing for Doc :P

I wonder what happens with those intermission segments now though? Him and Stan going at it like cats and dogs was funny as hell :)

And neither of them knew know what the hell they were talking about :noclue:

I for one will miss Matt on the Devils telecasts, he was a great host. He was a student of the game who made players comfortable in interviews and was a rational foil to the Maven.

I dislike this move because Matt made me enjoy Devil games on TV.

Ditto

Ditto too. I really enjoyed his work.

Get ready for........."And a goal". What is Matt thinking taking that job? Has he listened to himself? Or it could have been Chico bringing him down with all the dumb chit chat. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I really hope they don't have Stan as the only studio host. I hope it's not Dano either.

ML is a good TV personality. I guess they will have to find a new guy to antagonize fischler.

i think he will rise to the occasion and surprise people with his play by play, but honestly i could care less since i don't listen to the radio broadcasts.

Edited by Shred

Don't understand why folks dont like this guy considering all the guys I watched on Center Ice last season. He's no Rick Jenrette (sp) but I alway's thought he was pretty darn good. Wideman was hired by Hawks.

I've always liked matt & wish him luck. I live out of state anyway so I wouldnt hear him anyway, unless he's on XM radio.

This from the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/loughl...ew_marchand.htm

LOUGHLIN VOICE OF DEVILS

By ANDREW MARCHAND

August 2, 2006 -- WFAN's new radio voice of the Devils is Matt Loughlin.

Loughlin, 48, was the Devils' pregame and postgame host on Fox Sports NY. He had done some fill-in TV play-by-play on hockey and baseball. Loughlin said yesterday he always wanted to do it on a full-time basis.

"I just thought this was an opportunity that was too good to pass up," Loughlin said.

This year, his TV duties were cut in half through no fault of his own. After the Mets began their own network, SportsNet NY, they decided to go with a different look, leaving Loughlin behind at MSG and FSNY. Loughlin had been the Mets' reporter since 1996 until this season.

Now, Loughlin, a 1979 Seton Hall graduate, will replace John Hennessey. Hennessey and analyst Randy Velischek were let go after the season by Devils CEO Lou Lamoriello. The Devils have not yet hired an analyst.

Yesterday, the Islanders also announced a new radio play-by-player. Steve Mears, who had been the voice of the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs of the Central Hockey League the past four years, will call Islanders games on Bloomberg 1130 starting this season.

This smacks of a money move. Laughlin was probably one of the few guys willing to do it for the price the Devils were prepared to pay. He is an OK studio host/interviewer but his PBP leaves a lot to be desired. Calling hockey on the radio is the toughest pbp job. I do not think Matt has the chops.

This smacks of a money move. Laughlin was probably one of the few guys willing to do it for the price the Devils were prepared to pay. He is an OK studio host/interviewer but his PBP leaves a lot to be desired. Calling hockey on the radio is the toughest pbp job. I do not think Matt has the chops.

Disagree here. Knowing some guys in the radio business, it's possible Matty was making more just doing the studio/occassonal PbP duty thing on TV than most hockey radio guys make for their gig.

I think it's a typical Devils move: he's a friend of the program, he's not controversial, and he knows where the arena is.

My favorite guy? Chris Moore. The perfect cynical guy for a team that needed one back then.

<JESTER>

Disagree here. Knowing some guys in the radio business, it's possible Matty was making more just doing the studio/occassonal PbP duty thing on TV than most hockey radio guys make for their gig.

I think it's a typical Devils move: he's a friend of the program, he's not controversial, and he knows where the arena is.

My favorite guy? Chris Moore. The perfect cynical guy for a team that needed one back then.

<JESTER>

I agree,Chris Moore was the best radio guy the Devs ever had.Loughlin makes me cringe......never could watch the in between periods stuff