Lou and Sutter are delusional

msweet

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you watching games of Greene from last season? I just can't see how you can honestly believe that Greene doesn't make as many mistakes as Vish and Rachunek. And he has had one bad game? Greene has done absolutely nothing this year. He has had one bad season, not just one game.

Rachunek makes mistakes no doubt but he moves the puck, has a somewhat decent shot and he actually hits people once in a while. No offense to speak of from Vish but he plays the body well even if he takes himself out of position sometimes.

I'd really like to understand what it is that Greene provides to this team? Nobody is asking for the kid to put up a sh*t load of points or become this defensive master over night, but show us something. He's a soft player. If you're not going to contribute a whole lot, thats fine by me, but just don't become a fvcking liability on the ice either. Imo he is the biggest liability of the 9 D-men and Salvador hasn't even played a game with the Devils yet.

I hope the young lad proves me wrong but if I was Sutter I would have left him under the bus.

Edited by DevilinLA

Wow..this was a long post and I read the whole thing. I think Sickman had the best take...how'd you like to be a Phailures fan and live with that mess year in and year out? We should be greatful of the Devs greatness. Not saying take eyes off the prize but I have been proud to be a Devs fan and winning consistently every year makes that a lot easier. If the injury to Hossa last night doesn't prove a point and put the draft day dissappointment down for you I don't know what will. How do you think the Pens fans feel today?

I knew this was going to happen, are we going to bump this thread up every time the team loses? (which lately has only been two out of the last 15 games in regulation) That seems pretty childish imo.

Besides after tonight I think the players are delusional if they think they're going to win hockey games with that kind of effort :P

I knew this was going to happen, are we going to bump this thread up every time the team loses? (which lately has only been two out of the last 15 games in regulation) That seems pretty childish imo.

Besides after tonight I think the players are delusional if they think they're going to win hockey games with that kind of effort :P

At least they've shown heart and effort since the trade deadline to prove that a trade wasn't needed :rolleyes: apparently Msweet was way off base with his assessment :blink:

I said it in jest but one could easily say the 5 game win streak only showed that they played teams that weren't very good or were on a down slump...point is every year this team seems to show motivation enough to not get traded but fails to find that same drive when it counts mainly in the playoffs...

I've said it before, this team, with Marty hot and a little (well probably a lot) luck they could do some decent damage in the playoffs...I'm hoping at least!!!

What I don't get is that people have these grand plans on how to bring in everyone and their mother to ensure we win the Cup, but they don't bother with the "how" part. Or if they do, they come up with something so stupid it makes my brain hurt.

Who and how. If this post is gonna be brought up again and again every time they lose, I want to hear it. Who, and how?

Not Jokinen for Clarkson and Greene. Not Hossa for Gionta and a 2, and immediately signing him to an undermarket contract. Real proposals that make sense and would help the team now without making it an empty hole next year and down the road. This thread would be null then.

Havlat for Gionta - oh wait :whistling:

Havlat for Gionta - oh wait :whistling:

and you know for 1000% sure this wasn't offered and said phone was not made over the last week??

You DON'T KNOW unless you were sitting in Lou's war room and then if you did know your throat would be slit for thinking about mentioning it!

and you know for 1000% sure this wasn't offered and said phone was not made over the last week??

You DON'T KNOW unless you were sitting in Lou's war room and then if you did know your throat would be slit for thinking about mentioning it!

He'd cost more than Gionta anyway. If he was a "clearance sale", he would have been gone on Tuesday.

And that's not even that good of a trade, do we get noticeably better because we pick up some wussbag with a glass shoulder who plays 40 games a season? Plus, we get to pick up extra cap room for the pleasure. It doesn't make the team better, it's just rearranging the furniture.

Pre-contract Havlat ain't walking through that door.

The Cam trade was a stroke of genius, but the Devils had serious limitations.

I was being tongue in cheek anyway, I didn't want that trade either even before Havlat got hurt for the millionth time the other night.

Devils went 9-3-3 in the month of February. They need to do something like this for a real tough March ahead as in the teams and schedule. if they can maintain a record like this month's they will be still at the top or near the top to win the division then worry about top seed overall.

This Devils team is very strange this season. :noclue: They look so good at times and they go on a run where they score plenty of goals and then we see a Devils team like tonight where they don't score a single goal and the last couple of games they are struggling to score goals. :angry:

I just hope the team that played for most of this month scoring goals and playing good defense happens in March and into the playoffs. If it does not, it will be a short playoff run for the Devils. Brodeur could steal a game or two but these players have to play as hard as Brodeur or it will be a short playoff guys.

Something must have been bugging you besides the state of the team when you wrote that. You got rolling with so much negativity that you said something that is not based on reality.

Thanks for trying to read between the lines of what I was saying.

and Yeah... good observation... Obviously every Cup is both a combination of being lucky and about being the best... what's really irking me is the arrogance that I am feeling from management of this team. They (management) should be thinking we got "lucky" with that last Cup and need to prove ourselves...to do better. When Lou utters things like, well we picked up Grant Marshall and see how that turned out...see I'm smarter than everyone else. It almost seems Lou isn't hungry enough anymore... he's happy with his position in history...maybe ready to turn the reins over to his son?

So see where I said they are believing their own bs? Thinking a Grant Marshall (aka EL Salvador) is going to win another Cup for us is delusional.

Lou is not practicing what he preaches. At least Sutter seems to be learning as he goes. He quickly fixed his mistake of throwing Greene under the bus.

Now was the time to try and win. It's not getting better for the Devils in the next few years, ie., Marty is not getting any younger and the East will only get stronger (see Washington and Pittsburgh).

Thanks for trying to read between the lines of what I was saying.

and Yeah... good observation... Obviously every Cup is both a combination of being lucky and about being the best... what's really irking me is the arrogance that I am feeling from management of this team. They (management) should be thinking we got "lucky" with that last Cup and need to prove ourselves...to do better. When Lou utters things like, well we picked up Grant Marshall and see how that turned out...see I'm smarter than everyone else. It almost seems Lou isn't hungry enough anymore... he's happy with his position in history...maybe ready to turn the reins over to his son?

So see where I said they are believing their own bs? Thinking a Grant Marshall (aka EL Salvador) is going to win another Cup for us is delusional.

Lou is not practicing what he preaches. At least Sutter seems to be learning as he goes. He quickly fixed his mistake of throwing Greene under the bus.

Now was the time to try and win. It's not getting better for the Devils in the next few years, ie., Marty is not getting any younger and the East will only get stronger (see Washington and Pittsburgh).

I just don't agree with your premise. Washington might get better sure, same for Pittsburgh. I don't see the point though. Those guys will get better, but the Devils won't?...Now was the time to gamble and maybe wreck the next few years?...It just doesn't make logical sense, and it's something Lou has never done. I'm looking forward to next season with everyone a year more together, a Corrente...the only chip would be a free agent signing in the offeseason..a biggish one.

Now was not the time to go for it. The right deal wasn't out there for the Devils so to try and force it doesn't make much sense. Forcing a trade just because would be the exact opposite of what Lou preaches. Lou will make a trade if it makes sense for the organization and won't make a trade if it doesn't, regardless of if the team is a cup contender or not. Looking at the Deals that went down out there I don't see too many that would have made sense for the Devils, maybe the one for Brad Stuart but I'm doubtful there as well.

Marty isn't getting any younger but there isn't any reason to think he won't play at this level for another 2 or 3 seasons at least and then still have some good play after that.

You wanted Lou to force a trade just because you felt like it was time and so maybe you're the one who has lost what the Devils philosophy is and not Lou.

Edited by Devils731

Brodeur's career arc is very strange, he is playing his best hockey now and it isn't close - in the late 90s he was actually a slightly above average goaltender.

There's no reason to think he can't do this for a few more years.

Lou isn't hungry? The guy took over as coach the last 2 seasons - that doesn't sound like someone ready to rest on his laurels.

Washington and Pittsburgh will get better, but the good news is that both franchises are run by borderline fools. Now while they will almost undoubtedly have to trade Malkin in the next few years (and, I think, they plan to trade him for a similar package that they gave up for Marian Hossa, augmenting their depth) - how does Washington have the makings of a great team? Yes they've got Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Green. They also consistently sign the softest and most brittle players every off-season. Pittsburgh has been relying on 'veteran' guys whose primes were back when Don Cherry's suits were fashionable. So long as Lou can continue to outwit such people (and he can), the Devils will have their shot. I realize it's a new NHL, and some things have changed, but teams are still built on defense and goaltending, two things which Washington and Pittsburgh lack.

Edited by Triumph

Brodeur's career arc is very strange, he is playing his best hockey now and it isn't close - in the late 90s he was actually a slightly above average goaltender.

There's no reason to think he can't do this for a few more years.

Lou isn't hungry? The guy took over as coach the last 2 seasons - that doesn't sound like someone ready to rest on his laurels.

Washington and Pittsburgh will get better, but the good news is that both franchises are run by borderline fools. Now while they will almost undoubtedly have to trade Malkin in the next few years (and, I think, they plan to trade him for a similar package that they gave up for Marian Hossa, augmenting their depth) - how does Washington have the makings of a great team? Yes they've got Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Green. They also consistently sign the softest and most brittle players every off-season. Pittsburgh has been relying on 'veteran' guys whose primes were back when Don Cherry's suits were fashionable. So long as Lou can continue to outwit such people (and he can), the Devils will have their shot. I realize it's a new NHL, and some things have changed, but teams are still built on defense and goaltending, two things which Washington and Pittsburgh lack.

I suspect that one of the reasons the Caps wind up with the 'soft', 'brittle' players in the off-season is that DC isn't exactly a hockey hotbed and it's impossible to get certain players to go there. The 'character' guys who are interested in winning a Cup and who might choose to go somewhere for less $$$ will steer clear because they don't think the Caps can win and the big-ticket, big-names will not want to go there when NY, Philly, etc., are offering more money and the prospect of full buildings. Maybe, if they can actually make a run of it this year and sneak into the SE playoff bearth with Ovechkin, etc., they will look somewhat more attractive.

I wouldn't have signed Poti, for example, but do we know what McFee's options were???

Msweet - we usually agree on everything. I'm not feeling too negative. I feel more like Lou's hands are tied and he's talking big talk to cover his frustration with the league's GMs refusing to deal.

I get no attitude more or less from Lou. I frankly was pretty dismayed at what he could get. What's needed is a key dman and there really isn't a market YET. If he shoots his wad on a star like Brad Richards (who he'd have to trade our young DMEN for more than likely) - there's nothing left to secure defense. IMO Brad Richards was pretty much the best thing going. I'm not into Havlat, Hossa, -- Boyle wasn't a real option obviously.... What did you really want him to do? and at what cost? What do you seriously think the league would ask for what you think the Devils needed?

and do ya REALLY think Cam was going to play in Jerz? There was no place for him - he wasn't called up and Lou did him a favor trading him to his home town.

Perfectionist Lou? YES.

Overconfident cocky Lou? I just don't see it. :noclue: