You make the call: Is the spinarama a fair shootout move?

SC Devs Fan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks this is an unfair or illegal move is a baby because his/her team just lost to someone who pulled it off.

Jason Blake faked Scott Clemmensen out of the ACC last night. When the puck was in the net, Scottie was somewhere in the 4th row with a bag of popcorn. Those are the kind of highlight reel plays that get the game airtime, exposure, and hopefully, new fans.

I'm waiting for the day when we start seeing some lacrosse-type plays in the shootout. Guys carrying the puck on their sticks and tucking it into the net like that.

I completely think it should have been allowed last night because the precedent has already been set on this move.

Going forward the league either needs to remove some of the shootout rules to allow moves like this, and other crazy moves, or clarify that going forward players are no longer allowed to do the move as it is against the rules. A move either fits under the rules or does not, right now we have the refs not calling the shootouts by the rules but rather by their own opinion of things which isn't optimal.

I agree. They never abide by the rule anyway. I've seen guys actually stop and use a fade away move. So the continuous move forward bullsh!t is just that. Let the rule read "one shot"

I would think that's a better idea. Do us as the fans care if a guy stops? I don't think so. If a guy wanted to pull a wrap around I wouldn't care. I think one shot would make it nice and simple and basically allow the player do anything else they want within the normal rules of shooting.

If the guy is allowed to stop that develops into a really bad situation where a guy can pull up to four feet from the net, stop, fake, pick their corner, then shoot. Goalies would have no chance, really and its something that would just be painful to watch. If you want it to be a skills competition then simply make the rule one shot, no stopping, once it crosses the goal line its dead. No one wants to watch wrap-arounds in a shootout. Heck, we make fun of Clarkson for trying to do them in games.

I think the rules that apply to penalty shots should apply to shootouts. Therefore it was an illegal move.

However the NHL thinks that shootouts should be more "entertaining" and has allowed the spinerama move from the inception of the shootout. Therefore it was a "legal" move. :kill::soap::blink::puke::doh1:

Edited by Rock

I think it should be allowed. and I being how I am, not everyone is like me - but I think it's cool for a goalie! It's a new skill, a new read to grasp. I think it's cool and competitive. If it was just strong-arming or stupid and against the spirit of the shootout (ACK! I DID have game!) that's one thing... but it is within the spirit of the shoot out I think.

I also feel that the shooter is at risk of failure as much as the goalie is - it's not an easy thing to pull off, I don't think... please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - but to me a shooter would need to really have his wits about him to succeed with hot dogs stuff like that. Stuff like that isn't common place because a guy fails and gets his ass reamed for hot dogging! And it would be a serious waste of training time to practice a move like that in the event of a shootout.

Clemmer was just pwned - :rofl: I mean :saddevil:

Edited by Darwindog

I think the rules that apply to penalty shots should apply to shootouts. Therefore it was an illegal move.

However the NHL thinks that shootouts should be more "entertaining" and has allowed the spinerama move from the inception of the shootout. Therefore it was a "legal" move. :kill::soap::blink::puke::doh1:

Well see - I don't like the shoot out in general - that why I worded it as in the spirit of the shootout -- NOT in the spirit of the game :evil: I think that if you apply penalty shot rules then why even have the shootout -- it's dumb and not hockey!

Now I think on the shootout as kind of party time - a relaxing goofy way to settle a regular season game -- it's not making or breaking anyone in the standings so :noclue: hmehh...

i think shootouts are lame and should go...but since the league wants them they will stay.

The spin move is fine, and should stay, until there is contact with the goalie prior to the shot. The move is almost unstoppable anyway, but when you hit the goalie, it removes any chance for the save.

i dont think that should have counted since he came to a stop before taking a shot.

Yes... billybob err bobilly.. :unsure: is actually right - it's not the spin - it's the stop. I wanted to be fair and impartial but I KNEW something was bugging me about that particular shot! Thanks!

Rule clearly and specifically states it's a good move.

Rulebook

I didn't know they added the "spinerama" to the rule book. :doh1: However as it has been pointed out in this thread I seem to remember Blake stopping then spinning. If that was the case then it still counted. I wonder if a ref would wave it off if there was clearly a discontinuation or would they review it? :P

Edited by Rock

I guess they added the rulebook amendment because people were complaining the puck-forward progress thing.

Good move in my book.

For the record, I was happy about the Rolston slapper. No Devil ever tries anything interesting.

The slapper might have been different, but I don't think that's a good way to score a breakaway or shootout goal. You need more artisitry and deception there. A slapper might work against me, not an NHL goalie.

The slapper might have been different, but I don't think that's a good way to score a breakaway or shootout goal. You need more artisitry and deception there. A slapper might work against me, not an NHL goalie.

Rolston's slapshot has a history of working on NHL goalies in past shootouts. Anyone who was expecting him to do something different just has not seen him go in shootouts before.