Niclas Havelid traded to Devils

Xunolix

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no i don't think so. if new jersey played someone like philadelphia rupp's got to be there. if they played a more benign team like florida, rupp's out of the mix.

I don't think that Rupp's "got to be there." I think yesterday proved that the Devils don't have to have him out there. Something could happen where we might need him in a series against the Flyers, but other than that it seems like Sutter is happy with Pandolfo over Rupp.

Personally I am just happy that Madden and Pandolfo are finally on a 4th line. It says a lot about our depth compared to the last 4-6 years.

I don't think that Rupp's "got to be there." I think yesterday proved that the Devils don't have to have him out there. Something could happen where we might need him in a series against the Flyers, but other than that it seems like Sutter is happy with Pandolfo over Rupp.

Personally I am just happy that Madden and Pandolfo are finally on a 4th line. It says a lot about our depth compared to the last 4-6 years.

personally i think that we were getting man handled out there against philly besides times where salvador would step up and clarkson isnt really a hammer when it comes to hits but he does work hard and tough. If we had a more offensive type player that can equally deliver the rupp type hits maybe thats the key that we need with the Madden Pando combo

Edited by JakeDev

right now with the 4th line as constituted, pandolfo makes more sense there. but it's not hard to see him going to a shanahan-madden-rolston line with rupp-holik-clarkson either if the current combinations start to flounder.

i'm not a huge believer in protection but hartnell and upshall have absolutely no regard for anything - not to mention cote and asham - it's no accident that half of PL

Surprising move, totally came out of left field. I really bought all the bullsh!t propaganda the media fed me over the past 2 weeks. I believed so blindly that the Devils were going to get some flashy type name like Pronger, Kaberle, or Jovanovski. Still kind of disappointed we lost Salmela. I hope we didn't let a gem slip away. I'm not sure if Lamoriello couldn't have sent someone else to the Trashers instead of Anssi.

What I AM sure of however, is that in the end, we got a very very good defenseman that has joined our squad. (for the here and now) If the Devils are genuinely in

This seems like a trade we should have expected. The key was to upgrade our defense without subtracting an important part or upsetting the chemistry of the team. Regardless of where Havelid fits in, he is a definite upgrade on Greene. This only makes our defense stronger. That being said, I understand the disappointment some are having with this trade. I think we all hope that Lou will make that big name trade to put this team over the top, but I think we all know it probably won't happen. My guess is the asking price for a top 1 or 2 defender is way more than he wants to pay. In the end this is a strong team and I think this trade only makes us stonger.

I truely don't mind this move, he seems like a solid player...

I like the blocked shots and the +4 rating for a pretty terrible +/- team...

Not bad in my book Lou, and we all know Andy Greene had to go at some point.

Surprising move, totally came out of left field. I really bought all the bullsh!t propaganda the media fed me over the past 2 weeks. I believed so blindly that the Devils were going to get some flashy type name like Pronger, Kaberle, or Jovanovski.

Jovanovski is so not the Devils type of player. Neither is Kaberle really though I like him a bit more than Jovo. I don't think Pronger'll get moved, I mean they're trying to hold Boston up for Phil Kessel, that doesn't scream to me like they're going to dump him for the sake of dumping him. They'd rather trade Nieds if anything which would have been the one big move I could have seen the Devils making.

A ton of people on various message boards and TG's blog correctly predicted Havelid, for once Lou did an obvious move.

Good deal. He's a +4 on a losing team. Most of the time he's been on the ice has been with Kovalchuk and he's the type of player that fits our system. I think trying to guess the pairings is premature to say the least. He could easily be seeing time with any of the 3 pairings. He's versatile and this was a good understated move.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're done making moves and if there is a move made, I'd bet its for a depth forward. I'd love to see us steal Olli Jokinen, but I don't see it happening.

This is what Craig Button has to say about the Devils adding Havelid:

Nick Havelid is a very competitive player who skates well, is strong positionally and can move the puck either by skating or with solid passing. He can be physical and is capable of playing a lot of important minutes. A great fit for the Devils, who will strengthen their defensive group.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=411852&...vid=DL|NHL|Home

I love this trade, sure Anssi may evolve to be the second coming..but not likely, we got a solid d-man who can logg serious icetime if need be. Lou have put himself in a great position until deadline where he can throw out some fishhooks and see if anything sticks and if it doesnt he still did a good deal in havelid. I think he

Salmela can play in this league if he wants to. You can't really teach skating, hands, shooting at this level...but you can improve positioning. Anssi has the raw talent and is probably not as far off as most think.

I like this trade though. Havelid is the steady depth defender we need.

This really shouldn't be the only move we make, Weekes or Clemmensen need to be dumped off somewhere for a pick. It makes no sense to hang on to both.

right now with the 4th line as constituted, pandolfo makes more sense there. but it's not hard to see him going to a shanahan-madden-rolston line with rupp-holik-clarkson either if the current combinations start to flounder.

i'm not a huge believer in protection but hartnell and upshall have absolutely no regard for anything - not to mention cote and asham - it's no accident that half of PL

As I see I was not the only one who liked Salmela... Now I just hope,that this trade will help us to the cup this year. In other way, I think giving up a young D with potetial for a 35 yo veteran is not the greatest trade ever made. btw, witch team is the oldest in NHL?

Im in two minds about this deal but only because i had really high hopes for Anssi.

Havelid is a solid pick up though and we do have depth in the farm at D so it could go either way.

I dont think Lou will be activley shopping anymore but I think if a deal for one of either Clemmer or Weekes comes along or a deal for a depth forward then he will make it, but I dont think he is activley looking.

Was still hoping that Neids would come back though for one possible last moment of glory in the Red, White and Black.

Although it could happen, send Mottau back the other way :whistling: :

Martin/Salvador

White/Nieds

Oduya/Havelid

But thats dream land.

Surprising move, totally came out of left field. I really bought all the bullsh!t propaganda the media fed me over the past 2 weeks. I believed so blindly that the Devils were going to get some flashy type name like Pronger, Kaberle, or Jovanovski.

Do you follow the Devils???

Don't blame the media for your lack of discernment.

I love this trade, sure Anssi may evolve to be the second coming..but not likely, we got a solid d-man who can logg serious icetime if need be. Lou have put himself in a great position until deadline where he can throw out some fishhooks and see if anything sticks and if it doesnt he still did a good deal in havelid. I think he

Salmela can play in this league if he wants to. You can't really teach skating, hands, shooting at this level...but you can improve positioning. Anssi has the raw talent and is probably not as far off as most think.

yeah but positioning is more important than all three of those, and his was pretty poor in that regard the last game he played in a new jersey uniform.