Brent Sutter surprised Devils gave Calgary permission

Rock

Brent Sutter surprised New Jersey Devils gave Calgary Flames permission to talk to him about coaching job

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/06..._was_surpr.html

"When I resigned from the Devils I wasn't going to another team. Another team got permission to talk to me," Sutter told me via telephone. "And that team was an hour and 15 minutes down the road, not a 5 1/2 hour flight.

"When I resigned from the Devils I had no intention of coaching in the NHL next year. I resigned for family and personal reasons. I didn't resign to coach somewhere else in the NHL. When another team got permission to talk to me, I listened."

"If the Calgary Flames never asked permission from the New Jersey Devils, I was very content," Sutter maintained. "To be quite honest, when I got the phone call that they said they got permission to talk to me, I was somewhat surprised. Not surprised that Mr. Lamoriello gave permission. That's Lou's integrity. I was surprised because I was like everyone else around here who felt the general manager was going to be the head coach here.

"I hadn't planned on coaching in the NHL this season. Did I think two weeks later I'd be coaching in Calgary? No, I didn't."

Edited by Rock

If Lou had said no, it would've just made him the bad guy. Lou did the right thing by giving Sutter his options, Sutter's the one who lowered down to that level. I like Sutter less with each article that comes out...and get even more respect for Lou.

This guy is just slime. It really does get worse everytime he opens his mouth about it. I can only imagine the kind of press this move would've gotten had it been in the NFL. Its got that whole Petrino/Saban type of feeling to it.

I like what Lou has done here. Just cut ties and get on with it, let the Sutters play in their perpetual 69.

I would love to see us make a final against these a$$holes and sweep em 5-0, 6-0, 7-0, 6-0, and Clarkson kicks Iginla's ass.

Edited by ghdi

I've said it before, Sutters old news, I don't care about him and his stupid balding head or his stupid emotionless face.

Don't forget about those Spock ears of his!

Ya know what... it's over now. I felt a sense of closure after Lou made the trade with Calgary to move up. You know that was a handshake deal on the side. The Flames did the right thing and gave us our due. I'm over it now. Let's just move forward.

Ya know what... it's over now. I felt a sense of closure after Lou made the trade with Calgary to move up. You know that was a handshake deal on the side. The Flames did the right thing and gave us our due. I'm over it now. Let's just move forward.

i don't know that CAL did the right thing. we moved up 3 spots and we gave them our 23rd and 84th. seems like trade wise that was a fair deal. i don't think CAL did this because of sutter. they were just looking out for themselves.

anyway, fvck brent. i'm ready to move on.

Agreed. Unless there's more... Calgary didn't do us a favor; especially since there wasn't a Zach Parise type player falling on the board. The 2 sexy picks on the board at the time were John Moore and Jordan Schroeder who went immediately after Jersey picked... I'm not sure if Josephson was on the list of those clubs first... but I'll trust management if they felt they needed to hop the couple spots to grab him.