Shanahan leaves Devils

iamtheprodigy

"That role wasn't really available because of what these young players have done. It's not that Brendan cannot play. It's that these players have become something special at this given time and they have to be given that opportunity. Not all of them will be playing, but at least two of them will be playing."

I did find that lime pretty funny. This kind of sucks. Shanahan was a warrior in the playoffs. I am sure it was pointless to play Shanny on the 4th line with Peters or LeBlond, but it wasn't like Shanny was really blocking these "special" young players. Hopefully this ends well.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a complete 360...we give him the "C" to wear in the pre-season and then kick him to the curb? This can't leave a very good taste in his mouth. I don't see him coming back to the Devils in any capacity after that kind of treatment.

Edited by JWomp

It just seemed like this was going to happen when Elias came back, so they probably sat down and decided it wasn't wise to wait till then to make the call. Just get it over with now.

I'm pro Halischuk and Bergfors making this team and getting a chance. Not so pro-Pelley, but he'll probably be sent away once Elias comes back to free up a center position.

Good luck to ya Shanny! It would have been cool to have you around longer, but the kids definitely deserve a chance.

Can't wait to see (N)Єverson's article about how Lou bullied Shanahan out of the lineup. His article about Shanny replacing Langenbrunner is even better now.

More on-topic, this definitely is surprising. I think more than anything else, it will take the team a few days to adjust. On the eve of the home opener, I can't imagine this is a situation where guys show up and honestly feel indifferent about it. Lots of pressure on the young guns now - here's hoping they step up.

I did find that lime pretty funny. This kind of sucks. Shanahan was a warrior in the playoffs. I am sure it was pointless to play Shanny on the 4th line with Peters or LeBlond, but it wasn't like Shanny was really blocking these "special" young players. Hopefully this ends well.

I can't help but wonder if they're trying to WILL good play out of a farm system that is consistently ranked dead last in the NHL. I hope our young guys are up to the task, because most everyone else has a better crop of young players on paper than we do.

I'm so confused? Why would the team wait until now to do this? Why not have him skate on a tryout basis? This wouldn't be as shocking. I know Lemaire said more moves would be made but is this it? It really shocking!

"That role wasn't really available because of what these young players have done. It's not that Brendan cannot play. It's that these players have become something special at this given time and they have to be given that opportunity. Not all of them will be playing, but at least two of them will be playing."

did you read what was said? shanahan wanted a role in the top 9, if not, he wasn't going to play. i'll bet anyone that bergfors' numbers beat out shanahan's on a per-ice-time basis removing any PK time.

This season is seeming to be more of a rebuilding year.. No doubt the young guys will endure the season better, but come playoff time we'll be missing Shanny because of his experience and skill in the playoffs (because we will still make the playoffs)..

I wish the team would just come out and be honest with us about their intentions for this year.. I'd be much happier if I had the "rebuilding" mindset rather than the "cup #4" mindset they've given us

Have who skate on a tryout basis?

I'm just saying instead of actually signing a contract have Shanny skate with the team on a "tryout" type basis. It seems like Shanny, Lou and Lemaire had this agreement already but why go through the actual contract signing process?

did you read what was said? shanahan wanted a role in the top 9, if not, he wasn't going to play. i'll bet anyone that bergfors' numbers beat out shanahan's on a per-ice-time basis removing any PK time.

I read it. I just don't get what changed when Lou signed him. Does anyone think the top 9 changed? I mean we all knew Bergfors was in the top 9 all off-season.

Did Shanny have to go because Pikkarainen needs to be on the third line? I didn't see any games, but did Halischuck play so well that he was the reason? Right now in practice he is an extra skater, so it couldn't be him? I don't get who is even replacing Shanahan in the top 9 now?

This season is seeming to be more of a rebuilding year.. No doubt the young guys will endure the season better, but come playoff time we'll be missing Shanny because of his experience and skill in the playoffs (because we will still make the playoffs)..

I wish the team would just come out and be honest with us about their intentions for this year.. I'd be much happier if I had the "rebuilding" mindset rather than the "cup #4" mindset they've given us

there's no rebuilding while #30 is still around, its all for the Cup.

IIRC, in 00-01 Hartley had several young players on his squad & played them right away and through all year, which perhaps gave them some good experience for the playoff run.

This is very unexpected, and foolish.

1. So soon before the start of the season

2. Are the young guys really that much better than Shanny that they can fill every single spot on the first 3 lines? If so, that would be surprising considering how much on the bubble to even make the team by all reports.

3. It's very silly to not fight to keep Shanny, have him on board to help along the younger players, and have his shot for the power play. He's only 1 mill a year. You telling me they cant find a spot on the 3rd line for him? What? does Peters HAVE to play? Does Pando HAVE to play?

On the plus side...at least we're really committing to the youth movement. Also, Shanny doesnt seem offended by how the whole thing went down.

In Lou we trust! :koolaid:

Edited by devlman

I read it. I just don't get what changed when Lou signed him. Does anyone think the top 9 changed? I mean we all knew Bergfors was in the top 9 all off-season.Did Shanny have to go because Pikkarainen needs to be on the third line? I didn't see any games, but did Halischuck play so well that he was the reason? Right now in practice he is an extra skater, so it couldn't be him? I don't get who is even replacing Shanahan in the top 9 now?

i don't think we all knew that at all, many people's lines had bergfors as a healthy scratch/4th liner. my guess is halischuk but we'll see. i'm just glad to be rid of shanahan because he's so easily misused (so is rob niedermayer, fwiw). he can't play an 82 game schedule, he's probably replacement-level on the power play, he's not particularly good at even strength - i'm not even sure what he excels at anymore. yes, he gives 100% on every shift and he's a winner. that's about all he brings these days.

I hope Shanahan doesn't retire... Id rather trade him for future considerations to save the 1mm cap hit.

there is no cap hit if he retires.