GDT: Thrashers @ Devils - 7:00PM

nick17112

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a figure of fvcking speech- I don't think it's a lot to ask for them to give a consistent effort once in a while where they look like the same team for 3 periods. As opposed to the periods where they watch the other team skate around and take retard bantam-level penalties like too many men on the fvcking ice 3 times in 6 games. Don't tell me I'm wrong, 'cus I'm not.

it's not a figure of speech. the point is that what you judge as 'consistent' is 'dominating the other team and constantly winning puck battles - i.e. not watching the other team skate around', which is just impossible.

if you limited it to this year, fine. but saying 'this happened under sutter all the time too' is ridiculous.

it's not a figure of speech. the point is that what you judge as 'consistent' is 'dominating the other team and constantly winning puck battles - i.e. not watching the other team skate around', which is just impossible.

Yes, it is a figure of speech. But somehow trying to argue this with you is going to be a losing effort.

Playing 60 minutes is "coach speak" for playing smart, desciplined hockey and not taking a shift off, i.e. effort. It has nothing to do with dominating, outskating or outscoring the opposition.

if you limited it to this year, fine. but saying 'this happened under sutter all the time too' is ridiculous.

You can't be serious. If you think this team didn't take periods off like this under Sutter, you haven't been watching whatsoever. Sutter himself even talked about playing "60 minutes". It was the one thing that drove him nuts with that group.

Edited by SJP20

Dude, I'm not gonna sit here and argue about this... You're wrong on this one. Consistent effort means consistent effort. Look like you give a sh!t. It doesn't mean they have to win every fvcking puck battle. I fvcking played hockey for over 10 years- its entirely possible to try for 3 periods.

Edited by MadDog2020

because that's coach-speak for we didn't play particularly well, and a coach's job is to believe that his team is great and can win the stanley cup and it's all their rotten errors that he can see that is keeping them from winning and that it's his job to fix them.

however, the devils as assembled are not a particularly good team - they're pretty much league average or slightly worse. and when a team is losing, it looks like they aren't trying because they're getting beat to pucks and giving up chances. that's going to happen to every single team, but it's going to happen to an average team on a lot of nights. the team can get better. the team cannot 'play 60 minutes'. you guys are all going to come in here and say they played 60 minutes when they beat a team 4-1 and it's likely going to be nonsense.

Edited by Triumph

because that's coach-speak for we didn't play particularly well, and a coach's job is to believe that his team is great and can win the stanley cup and it's all their rotten errors that he can see that is keeping them from winning and that it's his job to fix them.

however, the devils as assembled are not a particularly good team - they're pretty much league average or slightly worse. and when a team is losing, it looks like they aren't trying because they're getting beat to pucks and giving up chances. that's going to happen to every single team, but it's going to happen to an average team on a lot of nights. the team can get better. the team cannot 'play 60 minutes'. you guys are all going to come in here and say they played 60 minutes when they beat a team 4-1 and it's likely going to be nonsense.

Right. Because no one on this board is capable of watching a hockey game and being able to tell when one team outworks another over the course of that game. You're splitting hairs for the sake of making your point now. We get it. Its impossible for a group of highly paid professional hockey players to play a full game. Whatever you say.

Right. Because no one on this board is capable of watching a hockey game and being able to tell when one team outworks another over the course of that game. You're splitting hairs for the sake of making your point now. We get it. Its impossible for a group of highly paid professional hockey players to play a full game. Whatever you say.

Tonight in a nutshell:

First period - great despite no goals

Second period - absolutely no effort despite still being tied

Third period - ran around like chickens with their heads cut off

And one constant in all the periods...the power play stinks worse than a room full of farts. You would think at some point it would occur to one of these players on the ice to SHOOT THE @#$%ING PUCK!!!

however, the devils as assembled are not a particularly good team - they're pretty much league average or slightly worse.

Maybe without Elias this is true...but when you win three straight on the road then lay an egg at home against a perrenial loser, you do have to wonder what's going on. If we can't do better than this against the Thrashers (and yes I know, funny things always happen against this team but still) and Elias doesn't come back soon then it's gonna be a long year.

Edited by Hasan4978

Tri basic point is right MadDog...your viewing the samething in two different ways.

This team cannot play a consistent "60 minute" game, because it simply isn't good enough too. So what may seem like a lack of effort, is really just a lack of talent. It's a very fine line in this league, but the Devils simply aren't as talented a lot of teams. They won 3 in a row, sure, but 2 in a shootout and it's not like they rolled over anyone.

To me, this team is still weak on the defense, and it hasn't been addressed in a long time, and we don't have 1st rounders like Bogosian, Del Zotto, Hedman, etc to round it out.

Look at the money we spend on defense, it's not a whole lot compared to a lot of other teams. We still lack another 24-26 minute player who can have guys like White/Sal/Oduya play the roles they are best suited for, not above their pay grade.

Edited by HellOnICE

Tri basic point is right MadDog...your viewing the samething in two different ways.

This team cannot play a consistent "60 minute" game, because it simply isn't good enough too. So what may seem like a lack of effort, is really just a lack of talent. It's a very fine line in this league, but the Devils simply aren't as talented a lot of teams. They won 3 in a row, sure, but 2 in a shootout and it's not like they rolled over anyone.

To me, this team is still weak on the defense, and it hasn't been addressed in a long time, and we don't have 1st rounders like Bogosian, Del Zotto, Hedman, etc to round it out.

Look at the money we spend on defense, it's not a whole lot compared to a lot of other teams. We still lack another 24-26 minute player who can have guys like White/Sal/Oduya play the roles they are best suited for, not above their pay grade.

I'd agree with this. But this has been the same defensive core for the past two years. We know this group can play better, but right now we need a defenseman that can help get us some offense. It's the same old song and dance, but with a lack of offense up front, it becomes more glaring. Murphy has not been the answer that many of us hoped for. Sadly Gilroy could have been that guy, but it wasn't meant to be.

Leaving offense out of it...how much better or worse is this group than the Pens group from last year, or the Canes in 2006, or the Lightning in 2004?

Dude, I'm not gonna sit here and argue about this... You're wrong on this one. Consistent effort means consistent effort. Look like you give a sh!t. It doesn't mean they have to win every fvcking puck battle. I fvcking played hockey for over 10 years- its entirely possible to try for 3 periods.

You want to see a team with consistent effort?

Watch Buffalo.

Edited by Cowutopia

Is it too early to say that the Devils lack the talent to be competitive enough to make the playoffs or get out of round 1? There is a saying "one can't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit" The Devils 4th line fits into this saying. Murphy, Zubrus and Pando fit into this saying. What are the Devils thinking when they put this team on the ice? Who is in charge of the Devils strategy?

I may leave doing a GDT for a while :blink:

That game was hard to watch, I knew after we couldnt score a couple of those chances in the first it could spell trouble once the thrashers got into it.

Oh well, lets bounce back against the Canes tonight.

Its too early for all this negative stuff just yet.

Lets support them through it.

:dance:

Edited by nick17112

yeah, that 4th goal is a really difficult hockey concept to grasp. point takes shot from bad angle in medium deep, misses wide to the far side, gives up 2 on 1.

that's something that most people just don't understand.

The problem wasn't the 2 on 1. It was the fact that Brodeur made the initial three saves and yet somehow, no matter how much time that bought him, five Devils players couldn't beat 4 Thrashers players to the rebound to get it the heck out of the crease. I did a replay of that over and over on my TV and it looked as though there were only two Devils on the ice until the puck was actually in the net at which point the other three sort of ambled over.

I want us to take some fvcking liberties tomorrow. I'm still irate about that series... I want an entire ward at Hackensack University cordoned off for Carolina Hurricanes players. They say do that sh!t in October and not April- well, it's October.

I do believe they'd be closer to University Hospital at UMDNJ.

Is it too early to say that the Devils lack the talent to be competitive enough to make the playoffs or get out of round 1? There is a saying "one can't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit" The Devils 4th line fits into this saying. Murphy, Zubrus and Pando fit into this saying. What are the Devils thinking when they put this team on the ice? Who is in charge of the Devils strategy?

I definitely agree with you about the fourth line with the way it has been playing so far, but give Zubrus a chance this year. He's actually playing very well; he's moving his feet and forechecking hard, which is a nice change from last year when he seemed to glide around the ice all too often. Even Pando has not been playing poorly the last few games.

You would think at some point it would occur to one of these players on the ice to SHOOT THE @#$%ING PUCK!!!

They did shoot the puck, remember that shot, when we were out of position, that created a 2 on 1 the other way leading to the thrashers 4th goal?

The idea of a power play is NOT shooting the puck. Its moving the puck around to create the best scoring chance. anyone with real hockey knowledge from playing the game will understand this. the devils need to do a better job of moving the puck around faster and with better crisper passes to create the best scoring chance. Shooting the puck at will will do nothing but give the other team better chance for a 2 on 1.

Lemaire's criticism of the power play focused on shot selection. He said the Devils are taking too many shot from the outside without getting the puck to high-traffic areas in front of the net.

See everyone its not about taking shots from anyone and shooting at will just for the sake of shooting, its about shot selection, its about getting in front of the net where the goals are scored. The 4th goal was the wrong time to take a shot, from the outside. puck went wide, 2 on 1 the other way....... This is for the idiots who yel SHOOT THE PUCK every 2 seconds during the PP.

Ask all this again when Elias comes back......