Lamoriello: There’s no question Lemaire will be back as coach

brodeur14301991

Corrente-Eckford-Fraser-Cheap FA (2M/both)

You can probably throw Taormina and possibly Urbom as more guys going for that spot. The Devils have so many possible guys for that area they could arguably just roll the dice with all the rookies, see what comes up, and acquire the cheap FA type guy later if needed, in a trade.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry Robinson is a hockey genius. Jacques Lemaire is a mediocre NHL coach with a losing playoff record sans Robinson.

but, he's got a good personality in interviews. a hockey genius wouldn't be using a stretch pass system with this group of defensemen.

he had an awful, awful, awful, awful series. of course, the players quit like lazy dogs, so I can't fault him in whole. only 50%. which disappoints me because I despise him and would love to blame him 100%. :lol:

HOI - i'm thinking similarly - especially with Belanger who I have in mind for the 3rd line center @ $2.25MM.

I don't think Kovalchuk stays and the more i think about it, the more i'm talking myself out of him.

in my mind, i'm targeting plekanec to play center on the 2nd line - hopefully Elias could talk his countryman into coming @ 4.75MM for 4 years.

This roster doesn't have to be gutted. We just need a better coach and get back to the team concept we played when we were 30-10.

You guys are funny. Better coach? The guys is arguably one of the best coaches in hockey, and you want a better coach?

It's about time the players start being professional, and doing what they're told to do. Granted, Lemaire is not a saint, but he certainly can't be faulted for everything here. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and that seemed to be the case with guys like Rolston, Niedermayer, Langenbrunner, Elias...etc. These guys lack the motivation to win, and that is the biggest challenge of all.

Well I guess this means the organization feels the players are more to blame for this mess. And if that is in fact the case I guess some changes in the locker room will be coming.

I was not pleased with the job Lemaire did toward the end of this season but it's not fair to put all of this on him. At the end of the day players need to execute no matter what system they are playing. They had been having trouble doing that for 4 months.

LOL that is funny Lou, saying he will be back. Really come on when are you announcing that JL is resigning?? The bottom line here is JL shouldnt have even finished coaching the game last night.

But that being said, as Sickman said the players must be at fault. If Lou feels that way, then I better not see Neids, Mottau, White, Langenbrunner (for starters) back next year. He better bering in some character guys that will step up when they need to, not like this bunch!!

But that being said, as Sickman said the players must be at fault. If Lou feels that way, then I better not see Neids, Mottau, White, Langenbrunner (for starters) back next year. He better bering in some character guys that will step up when they need to, not like this bunch!!

After the jelly thing and the effort put out the next game I think it's the players who will end up being changed. Lams obviously did everything he could to add all the weight he could add to motivating the team and they still came out flat.

JL signed for 2 years. That's perfectly fine by me if he stays, I know I said last night there was no coming back from last night's loss - but a clearer head this morning feels differently. JL is a hockey genius, but even genius' can't do magic. He's a great mind, and our guys will continue to learn from him next season. I think we'll see more rookies next season in the lineup, and I think a full year under JL will set this team up for a good future.

I don't think JL is the issue, I think it's a talent issue. I know I sound like a broken record, and at somepoint I'll write a thorough write-up about the summer. But I'll give quick ideas, that I've been writing around with today.

Tri, I think Rolston is moveable - some team could take him if we sweeten the pot a little bit. What that means, I don't know. I think Colin White could be useful to other teams - but one of him or Salvador have to go. Since you can't get a good defenseman by trade in this league anymore, I think Pavel Kubina is someone I'd consider signing. Mike Mottau, Martin Skoula are finished here. I'd be willing to sign Mike Mottau for the minimum to be a 7th defenseman but not part of the top-6. I think we have some rookies in Corrente, Eckford, etc. who maybe ready.

Langenbrunner has one more year, like Tri said, but I think if they could get something for him - great. If you can package him and White somewhere, even better. A team like Columbus seems prime for a guy like White or Jamie. I'm not sure what we could get in return - or what we'd want.

Guys who need to go: Peters, Pando, Rolston (I don't care how it's done), Skoula, Mottau, Niedermayer, McAmmond, 1 of White/Salvador and Jamie Langenbrunner.

My today as of 3:15pm fantasy team for next year.

Parise(3.125)-Zajac(4.2)-Zubrus(3.4) - 11M

Kovalchuk (7.5)-Elias (6)-Colby Armstrong (2.5) - 16M

Zharkov(.850)-Belanger(2.75)-Clarkson(1.5) - 5M

Halischuk(.875)-Pelley (.550)-Leblond (.525) - 2.1M

Kubina (5)-Martin (5)

Sal (2.9)-Greene (750K)

Corrente-Eckford-Fraser-Cheap FA (2M/both)

D: 16M

O: 34M

G: 5.5M

Total 55M

Much more to come in the following days.

I agree that JL is a good teacher for the younger players, and I agree he is very knowledgable, but his line forming system (or lack thereof) has got to change. You can say whatever you want to about it doesnt matter, but IT DOES MATTER. These guys not only played without heart, they certainly played without any chemistry.

ANd Zach basically said it doesnt work (all the line juggling) when he was asked by Stan after the game and he did not endorse that style of line play.

I am quite sure that the other players feel the same way about not knowing who you are skating with game to game or shift to shift for that matter.

I am quite certain that side of his coaching style isnt going to change though.

Larry Robinson is a hockey genius. Jacques Lemaire is a mediocre NHL coach with a losing playoff record sans Robinson.

but, he's got a good personality in interviews. a hockey genius wouldn't be using a stretch pass system with this group of defensemen.

:argh:

O

M

G

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Edited by Pepperkorn

You guys are funny. Better coach? The guys is arguably one of the best coaches in hockey, and you want a better coach?

This:

he had an awful, awful, awful, awful series. of course, the players quit like lazy dogs, so I can't fault him in whole. only 50%. which disappoints me because I despise him and would love to blame him 100%.

This:

he had an awful, awful, awful, awful series. of course, the players quit like lazy dogs, so I can't fault him in whole. only 50%. which disappoints me because I despise him and would love to blame him 100%.

OH MY fvckING GOD!!!!!!!!

you are beyond obtuse.

Larry could do NOTHING with this team and said as much. :argh: you guys just don't k -- -BAHHH! just -- I despair of you

After the jelly thing and the effort put out the next game I think it's the players who will end up being changed. Lams obviously did everything he could to add all the weight he could add to motivating the team and they still came out flat.

That's what confuses me. If the jelly smash was directed at the players, I'd agree with what you say. But wasn't it directed at the coaches? From Politi's story:

It was a furious Lou Lamoriello who punctuated a tirade at the coaches by grabbing the jar off the postgame spread and hurling it to its sticky end.

My general impression from it was that Lou felt he had assembled the talent and the coaches were wasting it. And the coaches' big reaction to it all was to put Colin White in front of the net on the PP. Was that enough to save Lemaire? Really?

I don't know, it just doesn't seem to add up to me.

It's about time the players start being professional, and doing what they're told to do. Granted, Lemaire is not a saint, but he certainly can't be faulted for everything here. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and that seemed to be the case with guys like Rolston, Niedermayer, Langenbrunner, Elias...etc. These guys lack the motivation to win, and that is the biggest challenge of all.

I think Lemaire will go down in history as one of the best coaches to ever coach the game. The problem is his time was in the 90's. The game has evolved past his style.

You say you can't teach an old dog new tricks well Lemaire is one of those people you should have listed as an example.

And you may be right. Robinson might not have done much better with these guys, but he couldn't have done any worse.

At least Sutter tried to open this team up a little bit. Lemaire had these guys playing the boards the whole time. And I've complained enough about the line shuffling. It's unforgivable IMO.

This team needs a YOUNG coach. They need a guy with new ideas.

That's what confuses me. If the jelly smash was directed at the players, I'd agree with what you say. But wasn't it directed at the coaches? From Politi's story:

My general impression from it was that Lou felt he had assembled the talent and the coaches were wasting it. And the coaches' big reaction to it all was to put Colin White in front of the net on the PP. Was that enough to save Lemaire? Really?

I don't know, it just doesn't seem to add up to me.

I took it as the players were waiting it out in the locker room and it was directed at everyone. None of the media was there, I believe, so I think it was all speculation on what was said and whom it was directed at.

If it is Lou getting on the coaches more during the playoffs then that's something Vanderbeek has to look at, because it's a consistent theme through a few coaches that the team gets more conservative and skates less once the playoffs start. The coaches aren't a common thread so it's either some of the players not stepping up, or Lou takes too much control during the playoffs. We'll never really know so there is no point in speculating.

fvck this. Lou- I love and respect you a ton, but you have to be fvcking kidding me. I mean... You REALLY have to be fvcking kidding me.

I dunno, I think even if Lemaire was going to be let go Lou would say this. I think Lemaire would "retire" or be shifted to one of those "scouting" positions before the team would say they fired him.

Not saying Lemaire won't be back, I'm just saying I think Lou would say Lemaire will coach either way.

I don't mind actually.

Lemaire knows his hockey.

Probably more than us.

He knows what to do.

I liked his season.

But I hope he can come up with a little better gameplan next season (if he stays)

P.S I know some people will argue with me on this but when Kovy played in atlanta he had to cary the thrashers on his back, and when he came here he tought he could do this. He just didn't fit in. he didn't prove us that he was a team player.

IMO I think Kovy will re-sign with us and I would love this. But he needs to be more like a devil type player.

I like Kvoy a lot lope he re-signs!

Edited by Devs3cups

I dunno, I think even if Lemaire was going to be let go Lou would say this. I think Lemaire would "retire" or be shifted to one of those "scouting" positions before the team would say they fired him.

Not saying Lemaire won't be back, I'm just saying I think Lou would say Lemaire will coach either way.

If Lou had given one of his patented non-answers where he talks in circles for half an hour, I would've felt good about it. When he says "There's no question" Lemaire will be back, that scares the ever-loving sh!t outta me.

If Lou had given one of his patented non-answers where he talks in circles for half an hour, I would've felt good about it. When he says "There's no question" Lemaire will be back, that scares the ever-loving sh!t outta me.

when asked about everyone, he said keep 'em. all core guys. langenbrunner, team was good, yada yada.

but also said, he'd expect some changes.

he's not saying nothing.

I dont see what the big problem is by having Jacques back,im glad we have him here than Sutter.Look what Jacques had to work with grant it we have the likes of a Elias,Kovalchuk,Zubrus,Parise but we also had a Pelley,Motteau,Langenbrunner who in my oinion hasnt done this organization good since he arrived here,Pandolfo,Rolston,Fraser and etc full of bums,so you cant blame JL for the outcome of our playoffs rather than Lou for not making better moves and prepare us for these playoffs.I read an article where Lou said he dropped the ball for not trading for a defensive defensemen and another good center

I'm with you PK. Larry would be lost. And he is one of the great players of all-time, but he is no hockey genius.

Larry's problem with being a head coach has been dealing with players (specifically being too nice). It hasn't been strategy. As for as systems and strategy go I would say Robinson has a great hockey mind.