New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

I don't think the upcoming CBA has as many issues as the past. Last lockout players got their salaries cut, and a cap was put in place. I don't think anything that major is going to happen. Has anyone else heard about any major issues?

There is speculation that the cap would drop something like $11 million with a new CBA.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the Ranger rumors are garbage and I'm really not trying to give it legs.

However, considering that Kovy's status hasn't really reverted to UFA, would attempts to contact Kovy by NY or any other team during this time constitute tampering of some sort?

I wonder if anyone could attempt to throw a wrench in the works without any repercussions.

i am pretty sure that they would, yes. obviously russia is excluded here - kovalchuk could sign a deal in russia tomorrow.

Is it at all surprising that an agent who wants to get his clients long-term deals will say that the NHL won't win this one?

yeah i mean the headline should read 'self-aggrandizing agent likes name in paper'

I don't think the upcoming CBA has as many issues as the past. Last lockout players got their salaries cut, and a cap was put in place. I don't think anything that major is going to happen. Has anyone else heard about any major issues?

the salary floor is too high, this loophole has to be closed, and the players' union is doing a lot of saber-rattling about hating the way the escrow system is set up. i think there will be a lockout but that it will not cost the entire season.

Edited by Triumph

There is speculation that the cap would drop something like $11 million with a new CBA.

i have heard generalities that the cap my be artificially dropped, but on what basis the owners would do it, i have no idea. i mean - if they want to say, 45% of revenues isn't enough to keep enough teams in business, i suppose that's an argument but then it's a result of their own doing that they didn't get more the last time.

i am pretty sure that they would, yes. obviously russia is excluded here - kovalchuk could sign a deal in russia tomorrow.

yeah i mean the headline should read 'self-aggrandizing agent likes name in paper'

the salary floor is too high, this loophole has to be closed, and the players' union is doing a lot of saber-rattling about hating the way the escrow system is set up. i think there will be a lockout but that it will not cost the entire season.

they also need a mechanism to keep the market from getting constipated when teams spend all of their cap space and have nowhere to go... when the bottom feeders don't want to spend any money other than to get near the floor. and since this isn't a dictatorship, they are going to have to do something beneficial for both sides.

I think this CBA sucks and only worked because the original cap was set so artificially low that it ensured big increases for a number of years going forward. now, in a crummy economy, where it looks like the best the cap can do is crawl upwards, you're going to have a market that is more limited every year. if they keep Kovalchuk through this process, the Devils have won an offseason. there's something not quite right about that.

Per TG

The Devils had been given a heads up by the league Monday evening that the contract would be rejected. Some of you have asked if Kovalchuk was aware of that before Tuesday’s news conference. It is my understanding that Kovalchuk and Grossman also knew of the league’s intentions before the news conference.

Well that's good, I think. Provided it's accurate.

Per TG

They knew - this is obvious to me. They knew it was probably going to get rejected before the league told them. I think Grossman and Lou have been gameplanning this for a few days now (possibly more) and are fully prepared to fight this. They know exactly what moves they want to make.

Either they know that the NHLPA will file a grievance.

Or they just wanted to give this contract a shot and if it doesn't get accepted in the end, they figured they'd just restructure - which is really not that difficult.

Per TG

While I'd like something more than Gilutti's "understanding", I'm pretty relieved.

for sure. i would say this all but guarantees he's a devil. they all knew that it was a 99% chance the league was going to reject it, but they TOGETHER tried to call the NHL's bluff. now you know why kovy said what he said - specifically about playing the whole 17 years - and why lou said what we all thought was dumb - about the loophole because he's gotta try and fight for his team via a player and still the league as a member of the owners.

if it doesn't work - they'll go the 15/102 route and structure it with the $1MM years at the end as others suggested.

While I'd like something more than Gilutti's "understanding", I'm pretty relieved.

It's in the CBA that both sides get notified, I just forget where. So I don't think the league would under the table inform one and not the other.

Edited by Devils731

for sure. i would say this all but guarantees he's a devil. they all knew that it was a 99% chance the league was going to reject it, but they TOGETHER tried to call the NHL's bluff. now you know why kovy said what he said - specifically about playing the whole 17 years - and why lou said what we all thought was dumb - about the loophole because he's gotta try and fight for his team via a player and still the league as a member of the owners.

if it doesn't work - they'll go the 15/102 route and structure it with the $1MM years at the end as others suggested.

Basically exactly what I just said.

And as you said and as I should have added: there is no need to worry whether Kovy will be a Devil or not. Kovy is a Devil period. He made his decision. Just because that exact deal won't go through doesn't mean it won't be easy for the Devils to give him a near equal offer. The offer change will hurt the Devils not Kovy. So this doesn't matter to Kovy.

Edited by ben00rs

And as you said and as I should have added: there is no need to worry whether Kovy will be a Devil or not. Kovy is a Devil period. He made his decision.

Amen to that brother!

It's in the CBA that both sides get notified, I just forget where. So I don't think the league would under the table inform one and not the other.

I would imagine the CBA provision you're looking at deals with "official" notice. It appears that the NHL gave an unofficial heads up to Lou on Monday night if the reports are correct.

I would imagine the CBA provision you're looking at deals with "official" notice. It appears that the NHL gave an unofficial heads up to Lou on Monday night if the reports are correct.

Right, so as I said I don't think the NHL would give under the table notice to one and not the other, since officially they have to give notice to both when it really goes down. The NHL would have wanted either party to back away from signing it at that point.

For those who care, short run down of Hradek interview...

Believes (hasn't heard) NHLPA will appeal decision, perhaps tomorrow. Didn't say he knew one way or the other whether a revised deal is being discussed. Believes that if goes to arbitration, arbitrator will approve the deal based on league approval of similar deals. Noted that one side could slow down the arbitration because of no system arbitrator if it wanted to. Ownership/Lou is accutely aware that deal with Kovalchuk needs to take into account ability of re-signing Parise.

In short, nothing particularly interesting.

Can't fathom why Lou, Vanderbeek, Grossman, and Kovy would go ahead and sign and announce a deal they knew would be rejected? What is the method to the madness? When will it end?

There are two possible reasons they did this:

A. They decided to try and bluff the league on the off-chance it would be approved. The consequences for getting rejected are minimal to non-existent. Now the Devils can just make a new offer.

B. They have a plan and figure they can beat the league's ruling and get the contract approved.

That's the best news we could have gotten. Grossman and Kovalchuk were ready for the rejection and knew the stakes. They are in this together with us. I'd have to say that at this point in time, it's the best news we could hope for.

No doubt- that's the news I've been hoping to hear since this whole process began. I feel much better.