Pro-valchuk or No-valchuk?

NewarkDevil5

98 members have voted

1. 1. At this point in the season, how do you feel about the Kovalchuk signing and its effects on the current state of the team?

• Pro-valchuk - He's one of the top 5 guys in the league and is worth the adjustment.
    • No-valchuk - He's been nothing but a disturbance and bringing him in has ruined the fabric of our team.

We're seeing an awful lot of cliffjumping for this point in the season so I just thought now would be an interesting time to see where people stack up on this summer's most talked-about acquisition.

Mind you, I'm of the opinion that Mr. Parise has not been pulling his weight either thus far this season. Since game 1 he's been all but invisible in my opinion. But I'm decidedly Pro-valchuk because in my opinion he's been making just about any line he's been on dangerous.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let you know in 6 years, not 6 games

Well the theory I had when starting this is that you have so many people writing off this season after 6 games that it'll be interesting to look back on this thread as a time capsule of what we were saying a week in. I honestly believe that this team is currently still building chemistry together. I look at things like the first period and a half in Boston and the better part of the Avalanche game and say that we really dominated for very long stretches of those games. Compared to prior games like Washington where we didn't look like we belonged on the same ice surface, we've come a ways in a week already in my opinion. It'll be probably another month before this team is hitting on all cylinders. I'm not remotely worried yet.

absolutelly Pro-valchuk :)

but I have one problem with him...and it is Kovy at RW. He is LW and nothing else.

I really don't know, why our first two lines can't look like that:

Zach-Zajac-Zubrus

Kovy-Arnott-Patty

Edited by Dev.iL87

We're seeing an awful lot of cliffjumping for this point in the season so I just thought now would be an interesting time to see where people stack up on this summer's most talked-about acquisition.

Mind you, I'm of the opinion that Mr. Parise has not been pulling his weight either thus far this season. Since game 1 he's been all but invisible in my opinion. But I'm decidedly Pro-valchuk because in my opinion he's been making just about any line he's been on dangerous.

Pro-valchuk definitely.

Thank you sir. Way to early to be reading into anything.

Excuse me, but this is the NY Metro area.. We even have the right to judge our players in preseason warmups.. Derek Jeter strikes out 2 at-bats in a row? Trade him! Revis got beat on a 30 yard pass? Guy is worthless!!

Get with the program!! :giggle:

I think this is going to prove to be a transitional year for the Devils. Brodeur isn't getting any younger or better and we have a bunch of older players in the last years of their contracts. The Devils will get better, but changes will also be made. I would love to see some old dead weight jettisoned in favor of an attitude shakeup. I thought Langenbrunner should have gone at the end of last year, but now I'm convinced of it.

Kovalchuk is the future. Not the be-all and end-all of the present.

How can you judge after 6 games?

I went for no currently if you want a answer based on the 6 games, because his signing has left the team unballanced. a count of 20-1 suggests i may be in the minority.

His play althought lazy at times has been as expected, he is doing what he is paid to do.

Six games??? Rome wasn't built in a day. The real dilemma for Lou is it limits him from making moves. The LTI helps but once Salvador and Rolston return, that crutch is gone. Their D has predictably struggled minus Salvador and Volchenkov. Especially with Tallinder off to a poor start along with Greene. When an unknown rookie is your best, it doesn't say much. They also are playing a different style that's not conducive to Tallinder. When it comes to the talent up front, you can't account for chemistry. Kovalchuk is a natural LW. As good as the Dream Line looked in preseason, regular season is different because you're not playing against B squads. There probably aren't enough pucks between Ilya and Parise but it takes time. MacLean hasn't been dealt an easy hand. But he also shouldn't be playing Brodeur every game. Especially that 3 in 4. They signed probably the best backup. Gotta play him.

Y'know, its funny. When discussing something that truly is too early to tell (the effects of a star player on a team a couple weeks into the season) people respond that its too early to tell (which is true). When discussing individual games, people decide within 6 games that the team is going to miss the playoffs, become a bottom feeding team, should blow up the building and refund all the tickets. Amazing how that works really. I agree that its way too early to tell, but in a way that was kind of the point of the poll. The two hottest topics before I posted this were a thread about how irreparably terrible this team is and whether or not to fire the coach. I think those two topics are no less ludicrous to discuss 6 games into a season than whether or not a star player has destroyed this team's makeup.