GDT: Devils vs. Habs 7:30 ET

Devs3cups

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's a start. the defensive play got a little better in the 2nd and the 3rd. I liked the first extended PK where I thought the defense, really for the first time, did a good job of physically denying rebounds, which is what you gotta do. would like to see Marty not have to work as hard (even if some of it was self-inflicted) to keep the other team off the board, but it was definately an improvement there.

forwards are still a clusterfvck other than snooze. I guess that's the next thing they'll have to work on.

yeah but you have to admit that it was alot more organized then the past few games have been. I am willing to bet that Saturday will be alot more then it was tonight. They really needed this win under their skates.

forwards? not really. I think they played better defensively and Marty had a great game. they need to follow up on it. it wasn't a spectacular effort, by any means, other than one player.

marty was the player of the game by far - just a superb game by him. and i'll point out that he still moved the puck a little more than i'd prefer but he didn't get hurt by it so there's your bias right there.

the devils got some bounces and took advantage of their opportunities.

kovalchuk looked slow out there - obviously he's not but i just didn't see jump.

nice game at the dot for most of the guys.

very happy w/ what taormina brings in the offensive zone and with his shot - he's still got some work to do in the defensive zone.

i'd be interested to see what the advanced stats say about this game though because, territorially, i'd bet the habs dominated. it seemed that they had decent possession in the devils zone all night. but again, marty was very strong and the d did a good job of getting pucks moved out of the zone and clogging passing lanes.

as they say, nobody asks how - just how many.

Kovalchuk led the team in ice time (21:10) but only one shot on goal. He really needs to pick up his game for this offensive-challenge club.

he blew today. his play bordered on subversive. there's guys like Langs who kinda walk through the games at points, but they don't actually do any damage.

the best play he made was losing control skating and accidently plowing two guys to get Elias a shot.

It isn't very often that I get to chime in anymore because I don't get to see the boys play that often anymore, but it looks like I found a good night to set time aside for some good old Devils hockey.

Marty was awesome. Zubrus out-works everyone. Taormina is the first blueliner we've had who can actually find the net with his point shot since ... jeez, I don't even know. Corrente had flashes. Arnott didn't suck.

The guy I enjoy watching the most is Josefson. This kid is gonna be damn good. There are skill guys, there are work guys, there are grit guys ... but Josefson is more cerebral than anything else. Once he gets a little stronger on his stick and gains some confidence playing with the big boys, he's gonna be a lot of fun to watch.

It's a very young season. We've had more youth on our blueline than a team should ever have to field. Throw in a bunch of games where we're playing shorthanded and you have a recipe for a slow start. But the kids will get experience. The roster is now full. Marty has a goose egg under his belt. The tide, it's a-turnin'.

Great game by Brodeur. I hope it's not just his usual Montreal performance but the beginning of the return to shape. Finally Parise finds the net. Good game all around. They played 60 minutes like the first 5 mins of the season opener.

Let's carry this over against the Sabres!

i'd be interested to see what the advanced stats say about this game though because, territorially, i'd bet the habs dominated. it seemed that they had decent possession in the devils zone all night. but again, marty was very strong and the d did a good job of getting pucks moved out of the zone and clogging passing lanes.

I'm pretty new to the advanced hockey stats, but I don't think this is pretty: http://timeonice.com/shots1011.php?gamenumber=20086

Best Devils' skater tonight based on Fenwick and Corsi was Parise, and he was only +2 and +3, respectively.

It looks like Magnan and Greene were pretty awful despite having the 2 lowest TOI among the d-men.

Edited by nmigliore

i noticed that too. late in the third with a three goal lead and they still had two guys forechecking down low. that's what i like to see.

Bingo. LOVED seeing that. Also, they went to the net tonight and *OHHH* look at that, they scored because of it. Keep fvcking doing that boys.

yeah, that's ugly. Magnan's positioning was "interesting", but he hit his way out of a few situations. not the correct way of handling it, but at least it was handled.

Agreed. I think that overall we played really good tonight. The defense deserves some props for the improvements in the breakout and good overall play defensively. Marty has a great game and I really hope it carries over for him, cause he looked a little winded to me after I saw him diving across the crease. The D should also get props for protecting Marty really well. The Pelly-Arnott-Langs line showed up to play. Parise-Zajac-Zubrus played really well too. The PP looked decent except for a few mishaps and no goals. I loved T's goal, that was quite awesome, but Marty gets Team Hero for his big saves tonight. If Marty plays like he did tonight and can get a little streak going, I really don't want to hear anything about Marty's decline.

The D was spot on also tonight. The chemistry between team mates was what it should have been in the beginning. They all seemed to know what the job ahead of them was rather then securing a spot on the roster they all wanted the win equally.