Hard to Watch the Games This Year

Don

In October I purchased NHL Gamecentre and bought a new laptop with HDMI out so I could watch every Devils game on my big screen TV. I'm all set.

But at this point in the season, I find it difficult to sit down and watch a game.

I know we are not going to make the playoffs. And each win pulls us further and further from a top 3 draft pick. Wins at this point in the season don't really help the organization. And I can't very well watch the games and HOPE for the Devils to lose. Anyone else feel the same way? It seems win or lose, I feel like we have lost. :noclue:

Wins do help. You want them to tank the rest of the season? What kind of effect would that have on the attitude and psyche of the organization? I enjoy watching hockey and I enjoy it when they win. I would never root for my team to lose, especially in this years draft.

I guess i'm not in the same boat as you.

Wins do help. You want them to tank the rest of the season? What kind of effect would that have on the attitude and psyche of the organization? I enjoy watching hockey and I enjoy it when they win. I would never root for my team to lose, especially in this years draft.

I guess i'm not in the same boat as you.

Oh, I don't want them to tank the season on purpose. They wouldn't do that. No pro sports team would do that. Except maybe the Penguins when Mario Lemieux is going to go #1 in the draft.

But I think, in the long run, it would be better if they continued to struggle.

And I said in my original post, I can't root for them to lose. It would just go against my nature.

I guess the way I see it, is that if I watch the game and they win, I don't get the normal good feeling I would get in other years.

Even in the early to mid eighties, I would be happy with wins, because they were the loveable losers. When they won, it was against all odds. But now when they win, it just gives me a "mehn" feeling.

I want the team, especially the young players, to improve for next season. I want Kovy and all the new signings to get more comfortable here and start to turn their game around. That inevitably means wins, but that's more important than just getting that top 3 draft pick for next season and beyond.

Winning right now is much more important than where the Devils pick in the draft. I really do not understand people who think otherwise. This isn't a draft like 2004 - we're likely to get a good player no matter where we finish. Were Canes fans kicking themselves that they ended up getting the 7th overall pick? Possibly, but they might've ended up with the best player. This draft is that kind of draft.

The team needs to have a good feeling going into next season. If it were rookies blowing up the team, that would be one thing, but veterans like Kovalchuk, Tallinder, and Brodeur have seriously struggled. For us to have any chance at the playoffs next year, these guys have to play better than they have this season.

the Devils are better to watch now... and seeing the young kids has been fun (which we had one growing and improving on defense still), the signs are there and the improvement and effort is nice....

plus you have access to the whole league now.... watch the Stars, fun announcers and good team.... watch the Sharks, watching them try to claw into the playoffs fascinate me

watch the Avs, Pens and Blues.... you'll never get angry about Chico Resch again!

Plus you get a kick out of the wacky commercials... I love them Jack in the Box spots!

But I think, in the long run, it would be better if they continued to struggle.

No, it wouldn't. A poor season lessens our chances of re-signing Zach. I'd rather have Zach than the #1 pick in a mediocre draft. And struggling would also mean the young players we already have wouldn't be doing that great, nor would the vets who we're gonna have around next year.

I want the team, especially the young players, to improve for next season. I want Kovy and all the new signings to get more comfortable here and start to turn their game around. That inevitably means wins, but that's more important than just getting that top 3 draft pick for next season and beyond.

Right. The main core of this team is going to be back next year... If we keep losing and wind up in last place, those players are not going to feel very good about themselves going into next season, regardless of who we get in the draft. If we start winning and our vets start to gel and young guys get some good experience, then we can still end up with a fairly high draft pick (like Tri said, think of the Canes last season) and build into next season.

I didn't watch a good chunck of games in Dec. With the losing and stress in my own life just didn't have the intrest. Now they are winning my life is sorting itself out so am enjoying hockey and watching the Devils and other hockey games now. It is bitter sweet watching the Devils winning now but there isn't a huge prize for getting the first overall pick. So now I just root for the Flyers, Rangers and Bruins to lose. I am moving to Maryland next month so I guess I might have to start hating the Caps now too.

I hate when fans don't watch games during hard times. Get off tghe bandwagon and stay off or support your team no matter what

It goes both ways though.... at the end of the day watching and playing sports is supposed to be FUN, there does come a point when the fun's not there and you do need a break from it, not saying I did because one bad year in 20 it's allowed.... but I can see why a loyal Islander or Sabre fan for examples would give up and stop watching for a while....the fun has to drop off year after year of maximum suckage......

I enjoy watching hockey and especially watching the Devils win, even if the Wins may have become meaningless. One thing this season has done is make me appreciate regular season success more.

i think if there's one thing to be taken from this season as a fan, this is it.

Really makes you appreciate the past 15 years.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I agree with Triumph that there isn't much difference in player caliber from draft pick to draft pick this year, so if we move up the standings a little bit it doesn't really hurt us in the draft.

It is refreshing to see the team starting to do well, makes me feel good about next season.

In October I purchased NHL Gamecentre and bought a new laptop with HDMI out so I could watch every Devils game on my big screen TV. I'm all set.

But at this point in the season, I find it difficult to sit down and watch a game.

I know we are not going to make the playoffs. And each win pulls us further and further from a top 3 draft pick. Wins at this point in the season don't really help the organization. And I can't very well watch the games and HOPE for the Devils to lose. Anyone else feel the same way? It seems win or lose, I feel like we have lost. :noclue:

Awe Don... you're just in a funk. Hmmm... ok - maybe if you just kind of sit with that feeling for a while -- then assume this is a HUGE training camp :evil: Assume nothing was gained inthe draft - no free agent signings (or losses). And watch from there. It will inject a positive spin when you see the progress - and you more easily accept losses as valuable learning experiences.

:noclue:

Experience is never a loss. And this was one HECK of an experience!!

You know what, Don? Do what I do. Just imagine that this is the late 80's. You are watching your sh!t team struggle again like they do every year. Suddenly, something is happening!! They're starting to be in the right place at the right time. They're starting to complete plays and score goals. The goalies are stopping all the tough ones. The defense is standing tight down low and clearing the puck. And they're now skating the puck out instead of panicking and shoveling it over their backs. Hey Don!!! This team is starting to play like it wants to win!! And I thought this was a minor league team.

I enjoy watching hockey and especially watching the Devils win, even if the Wins may have become meaningless. One thing this season has done is make me appreciate regular season success more.

Wow - that's so funny! I am the total opposite. I think this just confirmed my feelings that you need to approach the season as much levity as you can. it has to be a malleable thing or you can't progress. It's too easy to get mired in the weight of it all if wins count for something. If you suck there is somewhere to go. If you're at the top and then crap out to never finish the race at all.... just...nothing is gained, nothing. I think this season is a cumulation of all that nothing - all that winning status quo culminating in nothing but huge paychecks thinking just a little something is needed so you can't give up your good stuff now.... when all that good stuff is MEANINGLESS if you never improve the final outcome. The winning causes you to start hoarding- hoarding players, hoarding philosophy - thinking your so close you can't let anything go. You're left holding a HUGE UNMANAGEABLE sack of crap.

If you can't surrender you can't really move forward. True you have to understand what it is your surrendering to. Kovalchuk signing firing Lemaire - all that was surrendering to the WRONG voice. But I was OK with it because ANY surrender woudl do the trick at that point. SO -- To me the off season moves -- to LOTS of us it was surrendering to the talking heads of the NHL.

I think Lou HAD to do that in order to get the organization to comprehend it HAD TO SURRENDER TO HOCKEY. Not this New NHL sh!t - but the game of hockey. Lemaire may not be the best choice for next year -- but he was absolutely required to assist in understandong HOCKEY. and how -- How many times can I write this? At least everyone gets it now even if they have to put it in other words like Lemaire FINALLY GETS IT. No... he had it all along you just never heard. Hockey is HOCKEY. LOU LEMAIRE STEVENS --- they all love hockey. That's all HOCKEY. :rant:

JUST WTF? Why was this all so hard.. :argh::argh:

ok... I lost it a little.

Edited by Pepperkorn