Devils sign Keith Kinkaid

ZeroGravityFat

Nice!! Since this season was clearly a waste all because of Marty's goaltending, I'm glad they signed a replacement! :lol:

Marty was the #3 ranked goalie in his draft class, behind Trevor Kidd who was #1 and someone else who is on the tip of my tongue now. You never know what happens. I will not hold my breath, but I really would like at least a solid goalie for the future.

Here comes 100 posts of people complaining about it not being a major signing...

WTF THIS ISN'T A MAJOR GOALIE REPLACEMENT :soap:

But seriously, what is this, the 3rd or 4th goalie prospect the Devils now have in the system? Gotta hope one of these pans out

Edited by Devilsfan118

WTF THIS ISN'T A MAJOR GOALIE REPLACEMENT :soap:

But seriously, what is this, the 3rd or 4th goalie prospect the Devils now have in the system? Gotta hope one of these pans out

I wouldn't call McKenna a prospect, and he's a UFA so he's probably gone, it seems like the franchise has all but given up on Frazee, and Wedgewood and the other goalie we drafted (whose name I'm completely blanking on) are still in juniors. I'm not going to complain about this, at the very least Kinkaid will be the backup in Albany next season, if not 1B along with Frazee.

Good. Couple this with drafting another goalie prospect in the mid to late rounds of the draft this year, and maybe we have a little depth at the position for the first time in a very, very long time. And RSC, the guy you're thinking of is Maxime Clermont. We drafted him last year along with Wedgewood.

Marty was the #3 ranked goalie in his draft class, behind Trevor Kidd who was #1 and someone else who is on the tip of my tongue now. You never know what happens. I will not hold my breath, but I really would like at least a solid goalie for the future.

Felix Potvin.

And yes I wiki'd it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_NHL_Entry_Draft

Glad I did because for some reason I was thinking Kirk Mclean

Funny that Turner Stevenson was drafted before Marty in that first round!

Yeah and it was quite some draft that year. Nolan was taken ahead of Jagr but that was a time when power forwards were seen as more valuable than speedy Eastern-European snipers.

Zubov and Bondra were later round gems too.

Always liked Bondra too for some reason. He was the type that was a star during his prime but compared to the rest of the league was still flying under the radar.

Yeah and it was quite some draft that year. Nolan was taken ahead of Jagr but that was a time when power forwards were seen as more valuable than speedy Eastern-European snipers.

Zubov and Bondra were later round gems too.

Always liked Bondra too for some reason. He was the type that was a star during his prime but compared to the rest of the league was still flying under the radar.

Wasn't there also fear that Jagr wouldn't be able to defect to the US?

Devils also took Dunham and Schwab in that draft.

Maybe they’re now realizing they have 2 farm teams where they can experiment with undrafted prospects out of college? Seem to remember seeing a bunch of Trenton signings with a few games left this year.

Not claiming to be an expert, just don’t remember anything like it since they’ve controlled both their AHL & ECHL teams.

Wow... reading the comments on there has me excited to see what Kinkaid can do. Someone on HF boards even said Kinkaid is better than Mckenna.

I couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or not. McKenna was a solid filler player who was a decent goalie, but I don't think anyone in the Devils organization every thought he was any kind of solution to our goaltending problems (post Marty).

I thought it was pretty impressive that someone on their said the Devils are so high on him that they feel he is "Ryan Miller-esque" which seems to me to be overly ambitious, but then again he won a lot of the same awards that Miller did through his college career so maybe that is why they are making the connection :noclue: .

Either way I REALLY like this signing because he is a big goalie that plays in college which, IMO, is far more indicative of NHL play in terms of the structure and defensive aspects of it, and therefore I think he could be very well suited for a transition from his Union team that played very defensive systems to the devils which use the same. Also, its great that it is another goalie that love playing the puck because I feel having Marty all these years has kind of drilled that mentality of defense doesn't go get the puck behind the net and instead just gives the goalie outs. I always feel this way is much better for a break out because it gives all involved a better overview of the options before anyone even touches the puck.

I like the signing but just to add I do feel like McKenna got the short end of the stick so to speak. The games McKenna did play, he played very well. The St.Louis game comes to mind where a fluke goal kind of ruined everything. At the time he came in St.Louis was a hot team too, and we were far from it. I hope the Devils give him another chance.