Lou "the Knife" Lamoriello Strikes Again

Devil Dog

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure TiVo comes back at a reduced salary (though it is possible) since he had such a poor year and there was all sorts of innuendo when he got hurt, maybe he wants to go out West agian.

Smehlik might come back at a lower price though.

But I could live with Alby-Hale-Giroux if it came to that.

Any chances we'll see Foster this year?

Probably not...the guy is looking more and more like a mistake.

If only he could get, and stay healthy.

This is my thinking as well!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tivo gone, Lou won't pay that (obviously). If Smehlik is gone then Albelin had better stay because I think Dano is on his way out. Hale is not ready!

Hale is not ready!

No offense but how do any of us know if Hale is ready or not? Lou seemed to think so and he seems to be an ok judge of talent, so to give a blanket statement that hes not ready seems as silly as a statement guarenteeing his readiness.

-Scott

Hale is not ready!

No offense but how do any of us know if Hale is ready or not? Lou seemed to think so and he seems to be an ok judge of talent, so to give a blanket statement that hes not ready seems as silly as a statement guarenteeing his readiness.

-Scott

I think it's unlikely but it isn't my decision.

Hale is not ready!

-Scott

Yeah but most of us remember Lou telling us Dagenais would make up some of Mogilny's lost goals and Salommonson would also do so a couple of years ago.

Minor semantical point, I don't believe Lou himself ever said Hale was ready, I believe Hale's agent said Lou said he thought Hale was NHL ready.. two different things. Most players who enter the NHL without a full pro season under their belt go south quickly.. Bill Muckalt's a good example, and Petr Sykora's an example we can all remember even though he didn't play in college.. at the end of that 95-96 season he was clearly physically exhausted.

There's no law out there saying we can't ger TiVo back for say TWO million a year.. since this ain't gonna be a big buyers market this year who knows ??

Call me crazy, but we have three excellent D-men on this team who can step up and take in someone who has seen limited exposure but has the chance to make a big impact. TiVo was a good pick up on paper, but on ice for the Devils, he really never panned out.

There is no team out there that can match this team four deep with Stevens, Rafalski, Neidermayer and White, so those two extra spots really aren't that great of a concern. I'd bring Albelin back and look for someone to fill the not so big void Tivo would leave. Even for $2 million I'd let TiVo go..and try to find the next Barret Jackman

I personally think its about time we saw Foster in a Devils sweater. Last time I saw that was draft day. I understand development takes years, but this team is deep enough to shift talent around all it wants. Maybe send Elias back to the River Rats for a game or two and get him thinkin. ;-)

I can't believe on a year with so many playoff games at home that this team LOST money. How did THAT happen? And with that many playoff gates, and a $50 million payroll, what kind of loss are the Rangers operating on?

Foster needs to get healthy before that can happen, i really want to see it as well. But lets see him get more then 30 games in a year(which was 2 years ago btw) and have him do well at albany. I think he will be ready for this comig year though.

I can't believe on a year with so many playoff games at home that this team LOST money. How did THAT happen? And with that many playoff gates, and a $50 million payroll, what kind of loss are the Rangers operating on?

It's possible. We had 13 home games. Seven of them were sellouts. Others were close, but you don't make as much money in the early rounds. Then there is the $35 million owed to McMullen. Add in losses from last year (which don't go away) and you have a financial loss even if you win the Cup. In 2000 we broke even.

There is no team out there that can match this team four deep with Stevens, Rafalski, Neidermayer and White, so those two extra spots really aren't that great of a concern. I'd bring Albelin back and look for someone to fill the not so big void Tivo would leave. Even for $2 million I'd let TiVo go..and try to find the next Barret Jackman

Stevens I like, but its time to really kick in the depreciation on his skill... Heart and Leadership undoubtedly top notch, but he wasn't exactly the Conn Smyth Scott Stevens of 2000... And he isn't getting younger...

Rafalski/Neidermayer... They have thier bad periods/games at times, but they are gold.

White... I love whitey, but he isn't an elite d-man... He may be, but still needs some more seasoning. I loved his progress this past season...

-----------

I like our top 4, but I wouldnt make them out to be inviciable... If we can sign Tivo for 2million, we should take it. If only for his trading rights... But I could see us holding him until March, and try to trade him again at the deadline.

If we can sign Tivo for 2million, we should take it. If only for his trading rights... But I could see us holding him until March, and try to trade him again at the deadline.

Aylbert I agree with everything you said except this.

Lou is NOT paying our 5/6th d-man $2mil per year... not unless his name is Daneko.

He's going to cut payroll and this is where it can be done.

Our final 3 will be Giroux/Hale/Albelein (if he returns) or some other free agent signing we haven't thought of (See Marshall/Rheaume).

Smehlik for $1.5 mil is a possibility, as much as I hate that.

I actually view this as a good thing.

Did anyone expect Rafi and Whitey to be a promenent when they first made the team?

This is a great opportunity for Giroux, Hale, Martin et al. To play the early in the season and find a grove. #5 & #6 d-men didn't get that much ice time during the playoffs anyway and would probably be an improvement next year.

Hick, foster played about 5 games last year in albany, that's it. the year before, in juniors, he only got about 25 or so games in. the kid needs to play a FULL season somewhere and get his body conditioned properly again before he can be expected to survive an 82 game nhl regular season. Hell, nobody really knows what he is capable of since it's been so long since he actually played for any stretch of time.

I don't think hale leaves college early and steps right into the nhl, and from what i've read, it sounds like martin stands a better chance of making it to the big's before hale. Either way, I think you only see a handful of nhl games out of either of them next year -

Look to the albany roster for 2 d-men for next season (#6 & #7), the #5 will be one of dano/albi/smehlik/t-vo, and my bet is on smehlik.

About T-vo "fitting in" or his ability, last time this year we weren't all raving about the Niewy/Langs deal. Sometimes it just takes some time to get with the plan. That said he won't get the $3-4 million. We let O'Donnel go for $2.5 per-----T-vo prob. in same boat. I'm guessing he would need to take $1.5-2 per.

I can't believe on a year with so many playoff games at home that this team LOST money.   How did THAT happen?  And with that many playoff gates, and a $50 million payroll, what kind of loss are the Rangers operating on?

It's possible. We had 13 home games. Seven of them were sellouts. Others were close, but you don't make as much money in the early rounds. Then there is the $35 million owed to McMullen. Add in losses from last year (which don't go away) and you have a financial loss even if you win the Cup. In 2000 we broke even.

It's quite possible. Think about the math. The average crowd was about 15,500. There were 41 home dates. The average ticket price is what, $45?

That comes to $28.6 million. They get some proportion of the food, parking and they get the merchandise revenue. Let's say that comes to another $5 million (although that may be high). So that's $33.6 million. They probably get another $2-3 million in television between the national and local rights fees. So that comes to $36.6 million. 13 home dates at somewhere around $1 million game will have them just about break even - if the players were their only expense. Once you take other operating expenses into account, including the contracts in Albany that they pay, plus the operating lost from last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they lost another $5-6 million this year despite winning the Cup. Could be worse. Lou thought the operating loss was going to be about $15 million.

About T-vo "fitting in" or his ability, last time this year we weren't all raving about the Niewy/Langs deal. Sometimes it just takes some time to get with the plan. That said he won't get the $3-4 million. We let O'Donnel go for $2.5 per-----T-vo prob. in same boat. I'm guessing he would need to take $1.5-2 per.

I believe there were a serious amount of people who WERE raving about the Nieuwy-Langenbrunner deal last year. Even though it didn't turn out so hot in the playoffs.

There is a BIG difference between not making it happen last year and the Tivo situation. For two main reasons: One that whole head/not playing thing, which didn't go away for either side because we won the Cup and Two, Olie -- for all his logo thumping -- is not by nature the gritty Devils hockey player that we try and cultivate. I like him, I really do. He's always entertaining. But it's rough to watch him follow a great game with a sh*tty one.

sue-

little known secret: devils make about $400K/game in "arena revenue" which includes parking, concessions, and luxury box money. this does not include the actual ticket prices that you and i pay.

after the players' salaries, the biggest draw on cash flow is the "management fees" that puckholdings, yankeenets, and other "owners" get that equals over $15M/season.

add it all up and while the books show the devils losing money, it's not like they are the penguins where there are no assets and only debt.

sue-

little known secret: devils make about $400K/game in "arena revenue" which includes parking, concessions, and luxury box money. this does not include the actual ticket prices that you and i pay.

after the players' salaries, the biggest draw on cash flow is the "management fees" that puckholdings, yankeenets, and other "owners" get that equals over $15M/season.

add it all up and while the books show the devils losing money, it's not like they are the penguins where there are no assets and only debt.

Thanks - that clarifies a few things. But basically the arena revenue equals the amount of the management fees, which still pretty much leaves the same equation I had above but knock out the part I was adding in for concessions and parking. Which shows why there could be an actual 'operating loss'. What Lou cutting payroll says to me is that the owners are not willing to give up any of their take to increase the budget available to the team. Somehow this does not surprise me, since none of these people care about the team anyway, they are only interested in YES and the arena plans.

fvck 'em all.

truth be told, the best play for the devils really is the xanadu project as opposed to newark (i really don't care where it is as long as it's in jersey and i can get there somehow). it would put more money into their coffers because they'd be getting a greater amount of "arena based money" which would be increased by a huge amount because of the vastness of xanadu and the draw that it would be.

furthermore, one of the reasons why all the sports teams love it is because one thought on the table for the project is that when one team is playing, the parking concessions for the ENTIRE park go to that team. so while the devils might only be drawing 15k for a game, the other (hopefully) 15k that are there for something else are helping out the devils.

not sure whether that'll hold true or not, but i will guarantee that the devils will not continue to play in the caa as is. at the very least, they will renovate the building to make it nearly as wide as the inner roadway so that the concourses are bigger. i have heard that this is not only possible, but able to be done in one calandar year WHILE the teams (as well as other events) still play there. sections would be closed off, but there could always be 75% capacity.