Devils to honor '95 Cup team March 8

MadDog2020

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that funny because I would say around 91-93 time frame Daneyko and MacLean were supposed to do a free signing at Chimney Rock Ice Rink in Bridgewater and while MacLean showed up, Daneyko was an unexplained no show as well.

When someone asked Johnny Mac where Kenny was he just said....you know Kenny.

• 1 month later...

I just want to hear 'Valeri Zelepukin' announced on the PA system once more. 

SUCCESS!!!!

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice  ·  34 minutes ago

Fire & Ice blog: Valeri Zelepukin added to roster for 1995 reunion game 

Edited by Neb00rs

Lou needs to roll out the Cup teams every other year from here on out in order to keep people's minds off the current mess on the ice. Now everyone can live in the past, cheer on Lou, and chant "Rangers Suck" even more than before. Awesome

Edited by slasher72

Lou needs to roll out the Cup teams every other year from here on out in order to keep people's minds off the current mess on the ice. Now everyone can live in the past, cheer on Lou, and chant "Rangers Suck" even more than before. Awesome

Can't we just enjoy something?

Can't we just enjoy something?

Nope. Slasher can't enjoy anything. All he does is bitch... And that's all he did when things were good too. He's Randy Quaid in Major League 2.

And celebrating the 20 year anniversary of the first Cup is something that would be done regardless of the product on the ice. It's a big deal for the franchise.

Nope. Slasher can't enjoy anything. All he does is bitch... And that's all he did when things were good too. He's Randy Quaid in Major League 2.

And celebrating the 20 year anniversary of the first Cup is something that would be done regardless of the product on the ice. It's a big deal for the franchise.

Speaking of that........ :whistling:

Anyways heard that they are doing Mystery (Misery) pucks for $20 at the game this Sunday.  However this time all the pucks are signed by one of the Devils 95 alumni, so get there early.  My condolences to those getting the Cole and McApline pucks :giggle:

I pretty much agree with you.  This is definitely not a "Let's distract ourselves from the current state of the Devils" kind of event.  The '95 Cup was a big deal for this team and ushered in a nice long era of "The Devils are a team to be taken seriously", even though the next four seasons after the Cup didn't really expand on that as much as people would've liked.  A playoff no-show in '96, second-round loss to the Rags in '97 (and third playoff series loss to them in Devils' history, against no series wins), then the '98 and '99 first-round ousters.  The 2000 Cup win came along at just the right time.

But...I hope it doesn't get to the point that the Devils continually dust off past championships.  The '95 Cup is special...it was the first one and I think it is absolutely worth having some fun with again.  But if this starts becoming a "thing", and five years from now we're doing this with the 2000 team (or celebrating the 25th anniversary of the '95 Cup)...then we're starting to get into Ranger territory. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I am 99% confident they will honor the 2000 and 03 Cups.  I don't think if they do honor these that will put them on the same level as the Rags.  Rags keep honoring one championship over and over and over again.  The 95 celebration this weekend will only be the 2nd formal celebration of it that I can remember and the first one a few seasons back was really half-assed, so that barely counts.

However, if the Devils honor the 95 team again in 5 years then yeah you would have a point.

I pretty much agree with you.  This is definitely not a "Let's distract ourselves from the current state of the Devils" kind of event.  The '95 Cup was a big deal for this team and ushered in a nice long era of "The Devils are a team to be taken seriously", even though the next four seasons after the Cup didn't really expand on that as much as people would've liked.  A playoff no-show in '96, second-round loss to the Rags in '97 (and third playoff series loss to them in Devils' history, against no series wins), then the '98 and '99 first-round ousters.  The 2000 Cup win came along at just the right time.

But...I hope it doesn't get to the point that the Devils continually dust off past championships.  The '95 Cup is special...it was the first one and I think it is absolutely worth having some fun with again.  But if this starts becoming a "thing", and five years from now we're doing this with the 2000 team (or celebrating the 25th anniversary of the '95 Cup)...then we're starting to get into Ranger territory. 

I don't see a problem with doing another celebration in 5 years to celebrate the 25th/20th anniversary of '95 and 2000 especially if the team by that point is already back up on its feet. I just don't want to go to a Danton Cole or Kevin Dean jersey retirement ceremony. I'd love to see a game of players from the '95 Cup vs players from the 2000/2003 Cup. What you'd do with the guys who were on all three teams would be the question.

Edited by NewarkDevil5

I am 99% confident they will honor the 2000 and 03 Cups.  I don't think if they do honor these that will put them on the same level as the Rags.  Rags keep honoring one championship over and over and over again.  The 95 celebration this weekend will only be the 2nd formal celebration of it that I can remember and the first one a few seasons back was really half-assed, so that barely counts.

However, if the Devils honor the 95 team again in 5 years then yeah you would have a point.

I'm 100% fine with this celebration, especially if it's a one-time thing for the '95 Cup champs.  Like I said, this one is very special in Devils history...not saying the other ones weren't, but this one I get.  It will also be nice to see Marty be a Devil again and not a Blue...hopefully for those who have a bad taste in their mouths about Marty the Blue, this will wash some of that out.

If they do 2000 and 2003...for me personally, it's going to start to get to be too much.  For others, maybe not...I'd be curious to see the split on that...I might be in the minority.  I do think it reaches a point where you have to say "Those were great memories, and for those of us who are old enough to remember those teams, we'll never forget, but now it's time to build new ones with new faces."   

I am 99% confident they will honor the 2000 and 03 Cups. I don't think if they do honor these that will put them on the same level as the Rags. Rags keep honoring one championship over and over and over again. The 95 celebration this weekend will only be the 2nd formal celebration of it that I can remember and the first one a few seasons back was really half-assed, so that barely counts.

I agree 100%. Each Cup deserves to be honored at 20 years. That's a big anniversary to celebrate.

Seriously, right? And the roster for the alumni game is full of old hacks. Lou is just too blind to realize that this is a young league. It's like, "really? Scott Stevens?" That guy hasn't been good since 2004. We need a new GM.

I'm 100% fine with this celebration, especially if it's a one-time thing for the '95 Cup champs. Like I said, this one is very special in Devils history...not saying the other ones weren't, but this one I get. It will also be nice to see Marty be a Devil again and not a Blue...hopefully for those who have a bad taste in their mouths about Marty the Blue, this will wash some of that out.

If they do 2000 and 2003...for me personally, it's going to start to get to be too much. For others, maybe not...I'd be curious to see the split on that...I might be in the minority. I do think it reaches a point where you have to say "Those were great memories, and for those of us who are old enough to remember those teams, we'll never forget, but now it's time to build new ones with new faces."

You can honor your past and build for the future simultaneously. They're not mutually exclusive. As long as you don't go overboard and celebrate anniversaries every 5 years, I think it's fine. Each Cup once, at the 20 year mark- those teams deserve that, and quite frankly, it's appropriate.

You can honor your past and build for the future simultaneously. They're not mutually exclusive. As long as you don't go overboard and celebrate anniversaries every 5 years, I think it's fine. Each Cup once, at the 20 year mark- those teams deserve that, and quite frankly, it's appropriate.

It still feels like a bit much to me (do other teams do the 20-year thing?  I don't know), but as long as the Devils draw the line there and don't do the same thing at the 30-year and beyond mark with these teams, I can live with it. 

Honestly I'd prefer making a big deal of the 10th, 25th and maybe 50th anniversaries only.  And I'm not sure I'd really do a big thing for the other two, as much as 2003 means to me personally cause I was there for Game 7 (sick as I was that night), plus it was the only parade I was in attendance for.  It feels like the first one needs to be celebrated more, for obvious reasons.  But yeah not every five or ten years.

Of course I'm looking forward to this weekend since it's really the first major celebration of the '95 team and plus they're having the alumni game with all the other stuff surrounding it (like the four-part series on the Finals with Mac and Dano giving commentary).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Everything about Adam Larsson changed since DeBoers departure. He's a funny moFo

He's still the same. Not sure why everyone thinks he's Lidstrom. He's played harder since the firing, which is all PDB wanted from him. Adam realized he better put a little more effort out in the ice, since sitting in the press box sucks. No doubt confidence has helped his game but his skillset still lacks.