Therrien is Plan B for Devils

Rock

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still hope it's Carbo. I just don't get what is taking so long and why Lou has no problem saying it's close but then nothing happens.

Strickland seems to think Carbo believes he still has a shot even though he hasn't been interviewed

http://truehockey.com/articles/Carbonneau-to-Join-RDS

Sources close to former Montreal Head Coach Guy Carbonneau tell me he will likely be broadcasting this coming season if he can't land an NHL Head Coaching job. Considering there is only one job opening it appears there's a good chance he'll be providing commentary on RDS.

Carbonneau has not been formally interviewed for the opening in New Jersey

If he believed there was no chance then he'd just join RDS now, if true.

Therrien obviously isn't my first choice but I would feel better knowing he's Lou's first choice and he was confident an went out and got the guy. That doesn't seem to be happening though.

Not sure who the options are for a coach hitchcock is out there if i am not mistaken. Ted Nolan is out there not sure what everyones thoughts are on him. To fit in with the Devils and what they have built in the past years will need a defensive minded coach. Also need a coach that realizes that kovy need to be allowed to free wheel to be an effective player.

I was told the only reason Jacques agreed to come back last year was if Lou kept his hands off the team and let him run things his way. In case anyone didn't notice, Moose started games even when Marty was healthy enough to start and the lines weren't juggled nearly as much.

I don't care if the Devils are the only gig in town for Therrien...I'd be pretty unmotivated going in if I knew I was Plan B. Really hope this is all untrue.

Eh I'm sure Therrien would be happy to get an NHL job and try and do his best at it, especially since it'd be his last chance. Problem is if he really is the 'second' choice (which is obvious) you've basically immasculated the head coach before he's had a chance to speak to the team. Not that Lou ever lets his coaches get free rein anyway but still.

Waiting for Lemaire is the only plausible reason for the delay at this point.

I don't know about the only plausible reason (getting Eaves out of Wisconsin I suppose could be another), just the most unimaginative which is what this is on Lou's part, if true.

This would be asinine in so many ways I'd probably climb aboard the fire/retire Lou bandwagon if it is true. And the Post hasn't been half bad when it comes to actually breaking Devils-related news (the Langs injury in the playoffs, Sutter leaving, the $100 million offer to Kovy).

Waiting for Lemaire is the only plausible reason for the delay at this point.

The Thieren part, well who knows.

The fact he's doing this is unbelievable to me. Lou must have one hell of a conviction if he's really trying this sh!t with Lemaire again. The fact is, Lou knows he's gone soon (maybe after this season, who knows) and I think he wants to take one more shot with Marty in net and Lemaire behind the bench, knowing he won't have to hire the next long-term coach. It's the only reason I can think of as to why he would pull something like this.

The fact he's doing this is unbelievable to me. Lou must have one hell of a conviction if he's really trying this sh!t with Lemaire again. The fact is, Lou knows he's gone soon (maybe after this season, who knows) and I think he wants to take one more shot with Marty in net and Lemaire behind the bench, knowing he won't have to hire the next long-term coach. It's the only reason I can think of as to why he would pull something like this.

Unfortunately you're pretty much right on, except you left out it may also be the last year of Zach in a Devils uniform as well :rolleyes:

I never thought I'd say this cause I can't stant Therrien but just flipping hire him already and leave your 'buddy' alone :rant: What this delay would say, among other things is that Jacques is the only one Lou thinks can coach this team. Not exactly a great mandate for the next coach to come in under if it isn't Lemaire.

Right, because that means anything.

TG says in the past, when Lou was really asking him, Lemaire wouldn't make a definitive "no" statement when asked, he would give a "no comment" statement. If we won't believe Lemaire himself then why believe anything?

My only concern is whether or not what Lou is doing succeeds in helping the team both short and long term. Bringing in Jacques for one more go around does nothing towards the longterm stability of the Devils' head coaching seat and that factor may undermine confidence among a certain important player as to whether or not they want to re-sign long term here. On the other hand, another year of Lemaire could do wonders to benefit Kovalchuk's game in the longterm.

The next question is the short term. Does having Lemaire in as a coach for a full year really give us a good likelihood of winning in the short-term? Thats a big question mark to me.

I never thought I'd say this cause I can't stant Therrien but just flipping hire him already and leave your 'buddy' alone :rant: What this delay would say, among other things is that Jacques is the only one Lou thinks can coach this team. Not exactly a great mandate for the next coach to come in under if it isn't Lemaire.

Or that this is Lou's last year here, he wants to win, and it's not fair for a GM to hire a coach, then leave a year later.

I really feel Lou wants to establish the Devils organization before he leaves. I don't think Therrien or lemaire are the guys to do that. They are filler like Constantine and Julien. Therrien could work out but it seems unlikely. he seems like a poor man's *insert favorite former Montreal coach here.*

I don't think Eaves is an option now since he re-upped with WI to 2016. I really did want him top of the list. If DeBoer is the guy ... I just hope it's fun and productive and exciting and Devils hockey - not this Devils Defensive Hockey vs New NHL stuff we've been being fed despite poor Lemaire hyper objections. Both are myths. Myths serve a purpose that's why they are created -- but after a while you need to move on.

I understand Jacques - I don't get why no one else did for FOREVER!