Report: Sharks sign D White to one-year, $1M contract

aylbert

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He left to play with his brother. Looking at it objectively it is not a terrible reason and nothing to boo at him about.

If there's any reason to be bitter about the way Nieds left, it's over how long it took him to make the decision. By the time he signed, all that was left on the market was Vlad Malakhov and Dan McGillis.

Good for White. Northen California is nice.

Re: booing former players -- I think the reason we hear boos when some of these guys come back with new teams is because most of the people in the building aren't even paying attention when the guy takes the ice. So if 100 people scattered around the arena boo, we are all going to hear it because boos are easier to hear than handclaps.

If there's any reason to be bitter about the way Nieds left, it's over how long it took him to make the decision. By the time he signed, all that was left on the market was Vlad Malakhov and Dan McGillis.

Eh true you could argue that. Who else was on the market that off-season that was anywhere close to as good as Niedermayer?

Eh true you could argue that. Who else was on the market that off-season that was anywhere close to as good as Niedermayer?

I honestly don't remember. Might've been no one of any note. I just remember it being obvious that Rafalski + Malakhov was Lou's backup plan if Niedermayer fell through. Apparently he was offering Nieds the max contract, which was $7.8M at the time. Raf and Malakhov ended up with cap hits that combined to $7.8M. I think those two, plus McGillis, pretty much signed the day after Nieds inked in Anaheim.

To the bolded,that's why Niedermayer gets booed.

Nieds did get booed, but I have to say when they did the 2003 Cup night a couple of years back a mentioned Niedermayer's name, he did get a lot of applause and cheering. I think he's pretty much been forgiven. As for his brother, Rob "la dee dah" Niederglider... UGH....

I honestly don't remember. Might've been no one of any note. I just remember it being obvious that Rafalski + Malakhov was Lou's backup plan if Niedermayer fell through. Apparently he was offering Nieds the max contract, which was $7.8M at the time. Raf and Malakhov ended up with cap hits that combined to $7.8M. I think those two, plus McGillis, pretty much signed the day after Nieds inked in Anaheim.

Yeah I was thinking that Lou signed Malakhov and McGillis because they were the best ones available at the time in a bad defenseman free agent market.

Well we do not know how the crowd overall will react to Langs since he has not played against the Devils yet.

I will most likely clap for him too but just a polite clap too as I appreciate his work before he became a locker room cancer.

Langenbrunner will get the sh!t booed out of him.

There were noticeable cheers when he was announced as a healthy scratch the night he was traded in early January...so yeah I think he's getting booed out of the building too.

I can't wait.

Good luck to White that team has been in the dance for a while now.

Sharks were already my favorite western conference team, so I'll be pulling harder for them now. Hopefully we kick Whitey's ass in the finals :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: .

I live less than an hour from SJ and go to a number of Sharks games. Since his family is staying in NJ, I have a spare room if Whitey is interested ^_^ . Maybe we can carpool to the games...

Seriously, good luck in SJ, Colin, and welcome to California! (Still think he'll always look better in red and black then in teal though)

Whitey speaks

White can see the transition to younger players the team is going through and his departure is part of that. He joins a group of veterans including Jay Pandolfo, John Madden, Brian Gionta, Jamie Langenbrunner, Brian Rolston and Jason Arnott that have all left the organization in a little more than two years. Goaltender Martin Brodeur and left wing/center Patrik Elias are the only remaining members from the 2003 Stanley Cup team.

“They’re definitely going to be younger,” White said. “They had some great draft picks with a young D (Adam Larsson) that’s really going to fit in nicely. They were changing the team. Whenever you’re not winning things are going to change. That’s just the way it is. We had a good group there that for four of five years we were winning and that made us stay together. When you’re losing, you have to look for changes and you have to try to get back on track and I think that’s the way it is with any team.”