Players the Devils almost got through trade

Derlique

Back in 2000, there was a heavy rumor about Mark Messier to the Devils. I remember McMullen shot it down publicly.

I'm kind of surprised no one else brought that up yet.

Here's an article with McMullen shooting it down.

McMullen's comment came a day after the New York Post reported the Devils were close to a deal with the Vancouver Canucks. The Post said the 39-year-old Messier probably would be with New Jersey when the team returns from its seven-game road trip.

Quoting unidentified sources, the Post said the Canucks probably would get centers Denis Pederson and Brendan Morrison plus a second-round draft pick for Messier, a 22-year NHL veteran who recently appeared in his 14th All-Star game.

It would've been so weird to watch Messier in a Devils uniform.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an article with McMullen shooting it down.

It would've been so weird to watch Messier in a Devils uniform.

I'm guessing Neverson saw Pederson and Morrison being rumored to be going to the Canucks, and in his love for all things 1994 Rangers, automatically assumed it had to be for his ultimate love interest in Messier. As we all know, Pederson and Morrison went for Mogilny shortly thereafter.

Back in 2000, there was a heavy rumor about Mark Messier to the Devils. I remember McMullen shot it down publicly.

I'm kind of surprised no one else brought that up yet.

Yep, I remember sitting in the William Paterson student center reading in the Post (of course) that Messier was "close" to being dealt to the Devils. I promptly threw up in my mouth and prayed to God it wasn't true. Thankfully it wasn't.

Actually, I remember Messier actually telling Rich Chere that he had been all but dealt to the Devils back during the 92-93 season, but his getting hurt squashed the deal.

I remember that in 2000...Neverson really ran with that one...of course when the Devils went down 3-1 to the Flyers he said that the Devils not bringing in Messier would likely cost them the Cup. Oops...

I doubt that, the Rags were in the playoff hunt to the very last week in 1993, and Messier played in 75 games that year.

I doubt that, the Rags were in the playoff hunt to the very last week in 1993, and Messier played in 75 games that year.

Don't doubt it..............Messy Face was supposed to be on the Devs right in that time frame. Thank goodness that hunk of sh*t didn't come to the good side.

But it was true as far as a rumor goes back then.

Don't doubt it..............Messy Face was supposed to be on the Devs right in that time frame. Thank goodness that hunk of sh*t didn't come to the good side.

But it was true as far as a rumor goes back then.

I wonder who would've gone back then. Would Brodeur have been a part of the package?

My mistake, had the years wrong. That was the 90-91 season.

I remember when Hossa was all but a Devil, til the Pens swooped in and stole him at the last second. But yeah, I'm 19 also, so reading all of these old trades that coulda happened is awesome. The best ones I can remember are the Hossa deal and the Souray-to-Devils signing that never was.

"Souray Signs with New Jersey" - Rest in Failure, NHLLine.ca

I remember when Hossa was all but a Devil, til the Pens swooped in and stole him at the last second. But yeah, I'm 19 also, so reading all of these old trades that coulda happened is awesome. The best ones I can remember are the Hossa deal and the Souray-to-Devils signing that never was.

being 18, that's one of the few I can remember. Looking back on that though i'm glad we didn't get hossa but took Kovy off atlanta's hands 2 years later. In my opinon, Kovy > hossa. can't wait for manta ray to dispute this...

Keep in mind Hossa has 4 years on Kovy also. I'll say Kovy > Hossa too, especially with that in consideration. Though, Hossa has turned out to be a much different player from his days on Atlanta, IMO. And I think he's matured in a very good way. On top of that, he'd have fit our system a bit better.

I'm still happier to see Kovalchuk in a Devils jersey though.

Teemu 2003..

..they also made a push for the great one when he was a UFA, prior to signing w/the Rags.

Teemu in 2003 was very close. I remember they even scratched Gomez and one other player(forget who) at the deadline. It was supposed to be a Gomez centered package for Selanne/Damphousse that broke down at the last second

Had no idea they made a pitch for Gretzky. I do remember Toronto was super close to signing him though before the Rags swooped in

Edited by '7'

Teemu in 2003 was very close. I remember they even scratched Gomez and one other player(forget who) at the deadline. It was supposed to be a Gomez centered package for Selanne/Damphousse that broke down at the last second

Had no idea they made a pitch for Gretzky. I do remember Toronto was super close to signing him though before the Rags swooped in

I remember that, I think i was with Redrum and Msweet at the game that night and we wondered the whole time if they were going to announce it.