If Cory Schneider refuses to sign an extension this summer...

Jerzey

51 members have voted

1. 1. If Schneider will not sign an extension this summer Lou should...

• Trade him immediately
    • Continue to try to sign him until he's a UFA

I don't see why "August" has to be the deadline. We have him, guaranteed, this coming season. Zajac signed his new contract in January, so there's no need to be so hurried. A trade offer in August is not going to differ much from the deadline and its possible a deadline offer could be even sweeter if from a team on the cusp that need a tender and overpay. If he's not extended by the start of this coming season I won't bat an eye. If we go into next offseason without him re-signed and have to deal with the Parise/Kovalchuk ridiculousness, then heads need to roll (Lou).

Anyone expecting a massive return for a guy with only 1 year remaining and no guarantee of signing at his new home is kidding themselves.

Zajac signed in January because of the lockout and the fact that he wasn't able to sign an extension until the new CBA was agreed to.

I just picked August out of thin air, although a trade at the draft of prior to the start of FA is the most likely scenario.    

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's worth a 1st round pick and maybe a little something extra for someone drafting in the 20s range.  One year left and then he can go wherever?  

I think Buffalo got more than that for Miller.  Couple picks, 20 goal scorer in Stewart and Halak. 

I think Buffalo got more than that for Miller.  Couple picks, 20 goal scorer in Stewart and Halak. 

Stewart is not worth very much at his current contract, and Miller was traded at the deadline.  The Blues admitted that they were not in the market for 'a goaltender', they were in the market for 'this goaltender'.  If someone is definitely in the Schneider market then sure they can get more, but I'm not sure that'll be the case.

I voted 'continue to try to sign him', although it depends on what the offer is. We only gave up a first round pick to get him so if we can actually get more than that I would take it.

I'd be curious to see what he's worth. He'll be a free agent next year so any trade would likely be a rental. Personally I'm not confident we'd get more than a first round pick. Miller was kind of the perfect storm where he was the best goalie available, had a good track record of success (regular season and Olympic, not playoff though), and the Blues we're elite everywhere but in net so it's worth the picks. Schneider doesn't have the track record.

Edited by devils102

If I'm Lou I make him my best offer this summer and, if he doesn't sign an extension by the middle of August, you trade him.  We already have been set back for years with the losses of Parise and Kovalchuk for abosultely nothing.  Losing Cory for nothing after next season will set us back even further.

i think my feelings on this are pretty much in the same boat as yours here.. it would just be the biggest kick in the ass to have another basically star player walk away for nothing at all.. if he isnt going to sign then there is a reason for it maybe he has no faith in the team being a contender for upcoming seasons or whatever but then a decision needs to be made.

Chuck the Duck, on 11 Apr 2014 - 3:40 PM, said:

Zajac signed in January because of the lockout and the fact that he wasn't able to sign an extension until the new CBA was agreed to.

I just picked August out of thin air, although a trade at the draft of prior to the start of FA is the most likely scenario.    

Point taken on Zajac. I forgot completely about the lockout.

That said, I'm willing to bet large that Cory Schneider is a Devil for a long time.

The good card in the Devils favor is unlike Parise, Kovy, or even Niedermayer getting drawn to Anaheim for his brother Schneider's hometown team is stacked in goal for the next 5 years so the Bruins don't need him on the ice nor to sell tickets. M guess is that the deal gets done quickly.

He's worth a 1st round pick and maybe a little something extra for someone drafting in the 20s range. One year left and then he can go wherever?

Yeah, I think you have to go 8/50. He's the real thing, clearly. And while he's lost a ton of heartbreaking games, he's got to be able to see that the team isn't half bad.

Well hopefully in another year or two. That's what you are selling. Because they are a bad team and unless changes are made will be bad again next year.

I wonder what kind of return we could get on him    A.  Over the summer   B.  Early Season next year   C. Trade Deadline

If he declines signing, then I wouldn't mind considering the following:

1.  Schneider / Larsson to EDM for Eberle/Klefbom or Taylor Hall

2.  Schneider / Zajac  to CAR for Ward  / Eric Staal

3.  Schneider / Larsson or Zajac to Toronto for Phil Kessel 

That's my two cents...

That's my two cents...

holy sh!t #2's awful. And if you could get Kessel, you do that in a second but even Toronto's not dumb enough to trade one of the 5-10 best players in the league. And I don't want anything to do with Eberle. Plus EDM has its goalie now with Scrivens 

That's my two cents...

Those proposals make HF-boards blush.

That's my two cents...

As much as I would love to have Phil Kessel (I've championed him many times on this forum), they're not going to give up on Bernier so I dont see them having the interest. Bernier has not even gotten his contract that leads to UFA yet and despite Toronto falling apart, its not his fault. I just don't see Toronto as having the interest in Cory. And to get Kessel, it'd prob have to be Larsson and Zajac + another name, and that probably wouldn't even get it done. I think that deal as you have it structured could get JVR, but not Kessel. That'd also leave us with a hole in the middle, so we'd have to try and get a UFA center and a #1 goaltender unless we got Bernier back (which means we'd have to add more to the deal).

I think 1 is the most realistic and 2 is one I wouldnt want to do. 3 is an NHL 14 deal. Cory is only signed for one year and I really doubt he'd choose to sign in Edmonton over us long term and I imagine that would be a big deal in respect to any team who traded for him.

Edited by ghdi

That's my two cents...

This is just insane.

I'd trade him asap and try to figure out our net situation for the future and try to get set for the start of the season with someone you KNOW will be there all season. Waiting you're only setting yourself up for minimal return or being stuck in a corner in negotiations.

I mean we all know how it's gonna go during the season right? "We're in a playoff race right now, we can't trade our #1 goalie, that'd be like giving up on the season bla bla bla bla"

plus we can't sign him and trade him during the season, we have to get another goalie. So the return would simply be a swap quite possibly, unless we can throw picks or wtv to get another one but see, we'd be running after it. If we trade him during the summer we can have a better return, get other parts and sign another goalie maybe, more time to settle and not rush anything during the season with a clouded judgement based on where we are in the standings at that time

If Schneider refused to sign an extension, and Toronto would take him plus Larsson for Kessel, or Edmonton for Taylor Hall, I would not hesitate for a second.

The Ward/Staal I'm not sure, seems like both of those guys have been around a while, how old are they? Plus, does Staal want to keep playing with his brother? That would be a variable as well