2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

McKenzie article on the possibility of a Ryan O'Reilly trade.

http://www.tsn.ca/a-ryan-o-reilly-trade-is-more-complicated-than-we-think-1.186227

Says that Colorado looking for a right handed defenseman.  He mentions Tyler Myers and Gardiner, although it appears that he's being sarcastic that at least Myers is an attractive target for any team at this point.  I think Larsson has more trade value at this point than Myers has, but we'll see I guess.

I would hate to give up Larsson for O'Reilly only to have him bounce after next season. Maybe with an extension but then Larsson might not be enough.

O'Reilly would be a big boost to our offense. If there was some sort of assurance that he'd re-sign, I'd think about trading Larsson, but I'm still not sure I would. If we can find a top center in the draft this year, our need will be a top RW, not another center.

O'Reilly would be a big boost to our offense. If there was some sort of assurance that he'd re-sign, I'd think about trading Larsson, but I'm still not sure I would. If we can find a top center in the draft this year, our need will be a top RW, not another center.

Man I'm really hoping Lou drafts Marner this year if we don't win the lottery. I'm petrified that we're going to be drafting in the top 5 and Lou is going to draft another grinder like Crouse. I'm hoping with pick 35 (or whatever our 2nd rounder is) Lou gets a scoring RW.

I think even if we draft a center with our 1st, O'Reilly with an extension would be nice. Whoever we draft this year probably won't be NHL ready next year and when he is he'd probably get 3rd line minutes at first. If we had center depth in a couple of/few years of Marner/Strome on the 1st, O'Reilly on the 2nd, and Zajac on the 3rd I think we'd be set for a while.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

McKenzie article on the possibility of a Ryan O'Reilly trade.

http://www.tsn.ca/a-ryan-o-reilly-trade-is-more-complicated-than-we-think-1.186227

Says that Colorado looking for a right handed defenseman.  He mentions Tyler Myers and Gardiner, although it appears that he's being sarcastic that at least Myers is an attractive target for any team at this point.  I think Larsson has more trade value at this point than Myers has, but we'll see I guess.

I don't believe Larsson has more trade value than Myers. I wish it were so but Myers would, in my humble opinion, garner a way better package than one for Larsson. Just remember, three months ago a large majority of this board was basically willing to get anything they could for Larson.

Man I'm really hoping Lou drafts Marner this year if we don't win the lottery. I'm petrified that we're going to be drafting in the top 5 and Lou is going to draft another grinder like Crouse. I'm hoping with pick 35 (or whatever our 2nd rounder is) Lou gets a scoring RW.

I think even if we draft a center with our 1st, O'Reilly with an extension would be nice. Whoever we draft this year probably won't be NHL ready next year and when he is he'd probably get 3rd line minutes at first. If we had center depth in a couple of/few years of Marner/Strome on the 1st, O'Reilly on the 2nd, and Zajac on the 3rd I think we'd be set for a while.

I'd lean more towards Strome since he has that typical NHL center size at 6'3" over Marner at 5'11", but they've both put up stellar numbers this year. Having Zajac as our 3rd line center isn't a good use of assets with him being paid $5.75M per I'd rather switch O'Reilly to the wing than push Zajac to the 3rd line. Zajac is capable of putting up 50 points per year with decent linemates, so the 3rd line would be a waste for him. If we traded away assets for another center would be even bigger a waste at that point. Would much rather see us trade for a RW that's established so we wouldn't need to wait for any RW prospect to develop.

I'd lean more towards Strome since he has that typical NHL center size at 6'3" over Marner at 5'11", but they've both put up stellar numbers this year. Having Zajac as our 3rd line center isn't a good use of assets with him being paid $5.75M per I'd rather switch O'Reilly to the wing than push Zajac to the 3rd line. Zajac is capable of putting up 50 points per year with decent linemates, so the 3rd line would be a waste for him. If we traded away assets for another center would be even bigger a waste at that point. Would much rather see us trade for a RW that's established so we wouldn't need to wait for any RW prospect to develop.

I just want to stay away from Crouse, to the point that I'd rather them take another defenseman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This guy Joni Ortio has been the real deal for the Flames. Looks like he already stole the starting job from Hiller after only a few games. He is having another big game tonight, shutting out the Kings halfway through the third period.

Edited by Neb00rs

Yeah, I loved the LA announcers on that one:

"Wideman thought it was a goal, but it clearly hit the crossbar."

"They're going to review it, I mean I don't think there's any reason to, but they..." *replay shows puck clearly going over the line*

*silence*.........

"Oh, that went in. Oh..."

Edited by Neb00rs

I think hes just arguing that 12 games isn't a big enough sample size just yet, which is true in my opinion.

Which makes no sense because nothing I said has anything to do with that. I said "Ortio has been the real deal for the Flames." Which he has been so far. And then I said "Looks like he already stole the starting job from Hiller after only a few games." Which is a factual observation not an opinion. Ortio has started the last four games over Hiller.

Edited by Neb00rs