2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

And then I said "Looks like he already stole the starting job from Hiller after only a few games." Which is a factual observation not an opinion. Ortio has started the last four games over Hiller.

That he has started the last four games is indeed a factual observation. That he has stolen the starting job is not, unless you think the Flames anoint their starting goalies based on 10 days of work. I suppose Talbot stole Lundqvist's starting job last season when Lundqvist struggled too? 

In my mind there's more to being a starting goalie than a guy who gets hot for a week and the team let's him run with it. Let's see in 18 months where he's at. 

That he has started the last four games is indeed a factual observation. That he has stolen the starting job is not, unless you think the Flames anoint their starting goalies based on 10 days of work. I suppose Talbot stole Lundqvist's starting job last season when Lundqvist struggled too? 

:lol: I think the Flames, and all teams, 'anoint' their starting goalies based on who is starting. In this case, it's Joni Ortio. I didn't say he couldn't lose it back to Hiller. My post was very simple.

I don't believe Larsson has more trade value than Myers. I wish it were so but Myers would, in my humble opinion, garner a way better package than one for Larsson. Just remember, three months ago a large majority of this board was basically willing to get anything they could for Larson.

Not sure what the policy is about linking to other boards, but perhaps Larsson is better than a lot of us are giving him credit for:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=95675013&postcount=444

The points per sixty minutes at even strength might be a bit off from other commentary I've read, but even the low estimate seems pretty impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

Points/60 for D is a high variance stat and I don't place a lot of stock in a 30 game sample of it.  #1 in the league last year was Michael Kostka.

Point taken, although Kostka also played only 28 games the entire year last year.  So you're comparing 28 games to say 75 games that your average every day defenseman will play in any given year.  Larsson has been out for his fair share of games this year too, but the spread between the hypothetical everyday defenseman is smaller.

I dunno why but I have a feeling Jagr played his last game for the Devils. I think a trade is coming.

i wouldnt be opposed to this really, i like jagr on this team and he is pretty fun to watch but the truth is that he hasnt been as good as he was last year i think his age is finally starting to catch up to him.. although he doesnt have much for team mates in NJ he is 43 or about to be and is the 2nd or 3rd best player on the entire team..not good. If we can get something descent in return cut him loose and let him have a chance at another playoff run Edited by 2ELIAS6

This is a major problem in the league. All the negative focus is put on fighting and high checks when the biggest danger to the game is the small minority of players that go around trying to injure other players: Carcillo, Cooke, and Zac Rinaldo come to mind. All three of them should have been banned from the league years ago. They put other players' careers in jeopardy. It disgusts me that the NHL does not take serious action on these types of players often.

I remember a few years ago Rinaldo was throwing knees out at Devils players and the league did nothing. I forgot who it was but he went straight knee-to-knee (clearly purposely) on one of our players. No suspension, no fine, no phone call.

And what do you know? Rinaldo takes out Letang tonight on a vicious boarding penalty. This league is pathetic.

Edited by Neb00rs

@https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/558066459633807360

As I just said on @NBCSN pre-game show, expectation is NHL will announce this weekend outdoor games next season for COL and MIN.

@https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/558066927185453061

MIN's opponent expected to be CHI; COL's opponent expected to be DET. BOS, of course, will host MTL on Jan. 1 in Winter Classic in Foxboro.

Edited by eaglejelly

Chicago with their 4th outdoor game now.  What a disgrace.  The purpose of the Stadium Series is to give teams who normally wouldn't even be given a glance at the Winter Classic a chance at an outdoor game.  I guess NHL relented under NBC pressure to have 1 big market team in ever outdoor game.

And I get so sick and tired of hearing RATINGS RATINGS RATINGS justifying the same six teams in these games here.  We're not talking about Super Bowl ratings for crying out loud, the difference would probably be miniscule.  And putting the same six teams in the game is going to run the concept into the ground faster than if they spread it out. 

Let Canada rotate a game every year for the Heritage Classic, you can spread out the small market representation with games that'll get megaratings in Canada even if it's Edmonton-Calgary and let the US have a game for the New Year's Day.  Make it so you can't host a game more than once every ten years and play in more than two games every ten years on New Year's.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

And I get so sick and tired of hearing RATINGS RATINGS RATINGS justifying the same six teams in these games here. We're not talking about Super Bowl ratings for crying out loud, the difference would probably be miniscule. And putting the same six teams in the game is going to run the concept into the ground faster than if they spread it out.

Let Canada rotate a game every year for the Heritage Classic, you can spread out the small market representation with games that'll get megaratings in Canada even if it's Edmonton-Calgary and let the US have a game for the New Year's Day. Make it so you can't host a game more than once every ten years and play in more than two games every ten years on New Year's.

Seeing the teams play in the outdoor games is getting pretty old, but I understand the need to get good ratings. Also despite having shown they can build a decent sheet of ice in warmer climates like LA and San Jose, I'm not sure they could manage doing it in certain places in the southern states like Florida, Arizona, Dallas, etc. Once every ten years is a bit much. I think making it once every 5 years would be more appropriate and still keep things fresh for those that watch the games every year.

Seeing all the repeats, I'm surprised they don't give the Rangers more, I'm surprised they haven't been in 3 or 4 outdoor games already, like a New York-Boston or something. 

Yeah, although I love that Colorado and Minnesota got one (great choices), Detroit and Chicago being in another outdoor game is a joke.

Seeing all the repeats, I'm surprised they don't give the Rangers more, I'm surprised they haven't been in 3 or 4 outdoor games already, like a New York-Boston or something. 

Yeah, although I love that Colorado and Minnesota got one (great choices), Detroit and Chicago being in another outdoor game is a joke.

I wouldn't be surprised if NYR gets the 2017 Winter Classic.  My bet is it will be at Citi Field against an opponent that the NHL/NBC will make up a rivalry with.

What was the reason?  I know Yankee Stadium has that bowl game.

Would MetLife be an option even with the football season?

Something to do with the pipes not being winterized, I believe.  I mean they've done Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Washington DC, and you're going to tell me that they will bypass New York?

No, I don't think they could move both the Jets and Giants out for 2 weeks - that would mean 16 combined home games in 15 weeks.  It doesn't work.