Official "Marty Watch" Thread

Neb00rs

oh well yeah i get what you're saying and i didnt meant to talk about his performance or anything. Be he did somehow landed on a contender. Well all thought he was delusional to even think a contender would consider him (even after a few injuries)

But at the same time we knew that there was a chance that somewhere a GM would tell himself.... well a guy with 3 rings and bla bla bla bla can bring something to the table

Who said that?  I really can't remember anyone saying that here.

Bingo, although I am cheering for him. As I said in the chat, fun to watch him now. Don't have the stress, but his style is one of a kind for a goalie. After him, it's back to the usual butterfly stuff. 

Oh for sure, I worded that poorly - I want to see the guy win.  I just like not having to worry about how his personal win-loss record affects the Devils.

The "#Truthers" are morons. 

As far as Marty goes...good for him.  I thought he would get off to a good start, so I'm not surprised, and that good start probably means he'll get a lot of games in the short term to show if this solid start is a prelude to a bigger story.  I predict some kind of dropoff at some point in the near future though...asking a 42-year-old with more miles on him than any goaltender (by a wide margin) to play well for a significant length of time is asking a hell of a lot.   

We're obviously better off in the long term with Schneider (and in the short term unless you're of the opinion that we should go all out for McDavid, in which case we should just go full retard and start Clemmenson every fourth game).

I want Marty to do well in St. Louis more than anything that it might put the kibosh on these jerk offs that will tell you that he's not really better than Kelly Hrudy and he was just blessed to play for a team like the Devils.  Sort of like those people that will tell you that Rafael Furcal was a better player than Jeter.  Not holding my breath though. 

We're obviously better off in the long term with Schneider (and in the short term unless you're of the opinion that we should go all out for McDavid, in which case we should just go full retard and start Clemmenson every fourth game).

I want Marty to do well in St. Louis more than anything that it might put the kibosh on these jerk offs that will tell you that he's not really better than Kelly Hrudy and he was just blessed to play for a team like the Devils.  Sort of like those people that will tell you that Rafael Furcal was a better player than Jeter.  Not holding my breath though. 

Nothing Brodeur does in St Louis at age 42 will change what happened in NJ or what anyone thinks about his time in NJ -- good or bad. Unless you chat with people that are mentally challenged, even Brodeur's biggest critiques know he is one of the best ever. 

I think it might be a problem for St Louis, but not for the reasons about Allen. I'd be more concerned about Elliott. He's a very good goalie. If they make Elliot expendable, Allen will still get a ton of starts. Brodeur is 42 and will have his days off.

Nothing Brodeur does in St Louis at age 42 will change what happened in NJ or what anyone thinks about his time in NJ -- good or bad. Unless you chat with people that are mentally challenged, even Brodeur's biggest critiques know he is one of the best ever. 

Very true.  People have pretty much made up their minds about Marty, and nothing about this St. Louis stint will sway them...you have some who think he was propped up the Devils' commitment to defense and benefitted heavily by playing with so many good-to-great teams (but begrudgingly say he was still a good player), and others who realize that he really was one of the top goalies of his era.  Speaking of mentally challenged...one major positive that came out of the 2012 Devils-Rangers series is that, from what I've seen, Ranger fans gained a lot of respect for Marty, due to his outplaying Lundqvist in that series.  The ones I know didn't knock Marty nearly as much as they used to before that series.   

A huge plus for Marty this year over last,  the rules change in expanding the trapezoid. Last night's Blues game proved one aspect in Broduer's game, his puck handling skils haven't diminished one bit and it was clearly an advantage for the Blues vs. the Cats. In perspective, Luongo's puck handling looked like a fan trying to win money between periods.

• Like 1

What?  He is on the Blues, a vastly better team in every which way, including on defense.  He doesn't have a lot of work to do, especially like in that Islander game where in 2 periods he faced 2 shots (Corey faced more in a single period last night).

Again, this just isn't true. Marty has had plenty of work so far, especially last night. The Blues have been playing pretty crappy.

But let's face it...a lot of things had to break right for this to happen:

This I agree with. The truth is, it wasn't looking like a contender was going to sign him. It took the perfect set of circumstances for him to get the call:

Elliot and not Allen gets injured.

St. Louis is team with a coach who is friendly with Marty.

The Blues as CR mentioned, don't seem to have much faith in Allen.

Thanks, I was looking for this. I read that the fans gave him a standing ovation. Classy.

I thought the article was a bit melodramatic. I don't think having Marty on the team is making Allen nervous and I certainly don't think it will stunt his development.

I think it might be a problem for St Louis, but not for the reasons about Allen. I'd be more concerned about Elliott. He's a very good goalie. If they make Elliot expendable, Allen will still get a ton of starts. Brodeur is 42 and will have his days off.

Agreed. Fitting Elliot back in is the issue. Allen, while shaky at times, seems to be the Blues future. Elliot is much better atm but would probably end up being the most tradeable asset at the position; especially over Marty.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/sports/nhl/blues/2014/12/11/martin-brodeur-is-a-blues-fans-dream-come-true/20246691/

What I'm about to say is cliche. It's also childish of someone who reports on the team to let the fanboy inside of him spill into his article (after spending years to suppress it). Can't we just forget about what happens when Elliott comes back or what will come of the rookie that is spending most of his time on the bench?

I'm sure Willis, Larkin and many of the others who are sour on Brodeur's signing didn't grow up wearing a Chris Pronger jersey once a week or attending Kelly Chase's autograph signings.

Brodeur is seeking 700 wins and looking to make a difference with a team that's not the Devils. He's 42-years old and playing like a star goalie coming down from his prime years -- which usually occurs in someone's early 30s.

He didn't abandon the Devils. He didn't walk away from a contract and he isn't on bad terms with his former team. He even recently said that when it's "all over, I'll be a New Jersey Devil slash St. Louis Blue – little slash."

A huge plus for Marty this year over last,  the rules change in expanding the trapezoid. Last night's Blues game proved one aspect in Broduer's game, his puck handling skils haven't diminished one bit and it was clearly an advantage for the Blues vs. the Cats. In perspective, Luongo's puck handling looked like a fan trying to win money between periods.

How many times over the years have we seen opposing goalies do all sorts of stupid things with the puck because Marty was at the other end of the ice? He intimidates other goalies, no question, especially when it comes to handling the puck.

Allen will make his third straight start tonight.

Starting to look like Marty will get the boot once Eliot comes back, and that the Blues see some flaws especially since Marty's numbers have been pretty decent thus far.   Unless the idea is to make a huge trade that includes one of Eliot or Allen. 

Starting to look like Marty will get the boot once Eliot comes back, and that the Blues see some flaws especially since Marty's numbers have been pretty decent thus far.   Unless the idea is to make a huge trade that includes one of Eliot or Allen. 

Completely agree. It's either the Blues see something they don't like in Marty (because Allen's numbers lately have not been good) or they are shopping Allen out there. I just don't buy at this point that they could be shopping Elliot. He is their best goalie by far and trading him would defeat the 'win now' mantra.

That said, I am sure Marty will start the away game on Thursday in typical backup fashion.

Edited by Neb00rs

Completely agree. It's either the Blues see something they don't like in Marty (because Allen's numbers lately have not been good) or they are shopping Allen out there. I just don't buy at this point that they could be shopping Elliot. He is their best goalie by far and trading him would defeat the 'win now' mantra.

That said, I am sure Marty will start the away game on Thursday in typical backup fashion.

Perhaps Elliot is on track to return sooner. The whole thing was strange to begin with. The Blues have good goaltending, and Brodeur playing often would really complicate things. Of course this is something they should have known before signing him. Definitely don't think they are shopping Allen.

It's going to be weird seeing Brodeur on another team this season.

Perhaps Elliot is on track to return sooner. The whole thing was strange to begin with. The Blues have good goaltending, and Brodeur playing often would really complicate things. Of course this is something they should have known before signing him. Definitely don't think they are shopping Allen.

It's going to be weird seeing Brodeur on another team this season.

The one thing to note is that the Blues got somewhat burned in trading a good prospect for Halak or maybe that's their perception since he didn't perform well in the playoffs. So perhaps the idea is to try and do the reverse and sell high on one goalie when you have two good ones, especially when one of them is quite young. And it's right around the time that Edmonton -- who really doesn't have a long term solution in net -- is saying no one on their roster is untouchable.

I mean, I realize that Marty was probably willing to take an offer from the first team that made one, but I would have to believe that he was well aware that no matter how well he played that he would eventually be the odd man out in about a month after signing his deal, which would seem to be something he wouldn't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel