Official "Marty Watch" Thread

Neb00rs

We'd probably have Kinkaid/Marty going 50/50 and Lou ends up taking Samuel Morin

They were going to take Max Domi, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Rinne out 3-5 weeks with a sprained knee. Marty to Nashville?

and Detroit's Howard is out for a few weeks too.  Maybe there can be a "Rent-a-Brodeur" thing for the rest of this season for teams with injured keepers....

Heck we could even bring him back for the final week of the season, get a few sellouts, and give him the sendoff he deserves !

Friday, April 3 - MTL @ NJ, it would be perfect !

Edited by BlueSkirt

and Detroit's Howard is out for a few weeks too.  Maybe there can be a "Rent-a-Brodeur" thing for the rest of this season for teams with injured keepers....

Heck we could even bring him back for the final week of the season, get a few sellouts, and give him the sendoff he deserves !

Friday, April 3 - MTL @ NJ, it would be perfect !

Marty got the sendoff he deserved at the end of last season.  I would have preferred he retired a Devil, but its his choice how he wants to guide his career.  It will be interesting to see if he is waived and picked up by another team or traded next week.  Carrying 3 goalies makes no sense, and there's no way he's going to report to the minors.  I don't think he wants to retire.

I'm being pretty tongue-in-cheek about that return to NJ idea.   I doubt #30 would do it, I doubt Lou would do it.  Both would have to agree to it.

He'll get plenty of sendoffs when they have a Marty Brodeur Night, Retire his Jersey Night, Have the 25th Cup Anniversary Night, etc as future events.

What a waste.

Perfect Devils career tarnished for 6 meaningless games.

Tarnished by who? You personally? Man, Brodeur should have thought about what you thought.

I am sure when he returns to NJ for his jersey retirement, or a future job, or his HHOF induction ceremony, we'll all be saying to ourselves, "man it just doesn't feel the same because he played 7 games for the Blues instead of retiring after 2014."  And in 5-6 years....

"Does anyone remember Brodeur on the Blues?"

"Not really?"

"Ya me neither, but just the fact that his Hockey Reference page says St Louis Blues really tarnished his Devils career" 

"Agreed, I try and remember 1995, 2000, 2003, and 2012, but all I keep thinking about is how I can't really think of his time in St Louis"

"That's true. But what really sucks is he could have retired and been part of special pantheon of players to only play for one team, like Yzerman and Lemieux or Gordie and Bobby.

"That's so true. It's always going to be 1464 games played for the Devils, and 7 for...wait what team did you say he played for again?"

Edited by devilsrule33

Tarnished by who? You personally? Man, Brodeur should have thought about what you thought.

I am sure when he returns to NJ for his jersey retirement, or a future job, or his HHOF induction ceremony, we'll all be saying to ourselves, "man it just doesn't feel the same because he played 7 games for the Blues instead of retiring after 2014." And in 5-6 years....

"Not really?"

"Ya me neither, but just the fact that his Hockey Reference page says St Louis Blues really tarnished his Devils career"

"Agreed, I try and remember 1995, and 2003, and 2003, and 2012, but all I keep thinking about is how I can't really think of his time in St Louis"

"That's true. But what really sucks is he could have retired and been part of special pantheon of players to only play for one team, like Yzerman and Lemieux or Gordie and Bobby.

"That's so true. It's always going to be 1464gp for the Devils, and 7 for...wait what team did you say he played for again?"

Bobby eh? 8e6a68555c3263c9b99bd3653a047d24.jpg

Illustrates your point beautifully.

What a waste.

Hope you're not serious about this, because this is about as dumb, selfish, and unappreciative as it gets.  Why some Devils fans insist on taking Marty's desire to keep playing as some kind of personal insult is baffling.  The guy never even fvcking announced that he was retiring (and even if he had, many former players have been known to change their minds).  It stood to reason that he might - GASP! - decide to play again if some team gave him the opportunity.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

What a waste.

jordan left the bulls, farve left the packers.  both of them played more games with other teams then brodeur has played on the blues, and I don't think there legacies were tarnished.   

to a lesser extent piazza left the mets (granted he started as a dodger and then a week as a marlin) to play with another team but the majority still remember him as a MET, even he Himself stated he wants to go to the HOF (when he gets elected prob next year) as a met.

Plus next year broduer will be working for the devils as tg mentioned in an article that Lou has a position waiting for him.  

I highly doubt he takes a job with them if he's even offered one.

from the video.

..."some believe that Doug Armstrong, the gm, MIGHT offer him a position in management.  And that's not that far stretched, brodeur has actually spent time in power play meetings with the St. Louis Blues.,  Its hard to imagine that if he was going to accept a position it wouldn't be with the new jersey devils, but that's an option that might be considered by brodeur." -dreger

What a waste.

Wow. I mean, I guess what you are trying to say is that Marty messed up his legacy of only having played for one team for six rather meaningless games on the Blues. I'll ignore the contradiction that the six games were as you said, "meaningless."

But what you and others don't seem to get is that I don't think Marty gives a sh!t about that. It's you who cares about him being able to say he played for only one team. And that 'legacy', as DR33 explained above, is also meaningless. He wants/wanted to continue playing hockey. 

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/15/report-brodeur-could-join-blues-front-office/

It looks like the Blues are trying to throw him up to the front office.  The Blues seem to always try being a thorn in the Devils side with Shanahan and I feel like they did something else that ended up becoming the Parise pick.  But now they are trying to swoop in on Brodeur.  I hope he doesn't take that job just because he is under contract with the Blues and the Devils can't talk to him about the same, if not better position, here.

The Devils had every chance to give Brodeur what the Blues gave him and it seems they instead elected to let him go. They didn't "swoop in" on him, they gave him a job where nobody else would.

Now, it's up to Marty to figure out what he wants to do. He may still want to play, it's just clear it won't be for St. Louis. Unless and until Marty says he is done, I have no reason to believe he is looking for an office job with the Blues, whether they would like to offer him a job or not.

I also don't think the fact that he is signed will affect his decision. He has to retire first. Once he retires as s player, wouldn't he be free to do whatever he wanted? His contract would be wiped out.

The man said when he left that he'll always be a Devil and he'll be back. I believe him. That being said, dies he have a standing offer for s management job in New Jersey? Who says the Devils are even looking to hire him?

They gave him six games and now they technically have exclusive rights to speak with Brodeur about a front office job.  The Devils can't talk to him until his contract is terminated.  That's what I don't like.  So it's all well and good with your story about him needing to retire first but right now he's not and there's speculation that the Blues are trying to convince him to go to their front office.  I would see that as a quasi hostage situation. 

Marty wants first and foremost to play.  God bless him.  But those 6 games may be all any team is willing to give him.  So right now the Blues could be giving him a choice:  a) come up to their front office or b) sit on the sofa for the rest of the year.  He may just say, "Yeah, I'd like to go back to the Devils, but I want to do something this year so I'll just take this job." 

As for if he has an offer, Lou specifically said that there will always be a job/career in the front office of the Devils.  And I believe him.

I am sure when he returns to NJ for his jersey retirement, or a future job, or his HHOF induction ceremony, we'll all be saying to ourselves, "man it just doesn't feel the same because he played 7 games for the Blues instead of retiring after 2014."  And in 5-6 years....

"Not really?"

"Agreed, I try and remember 1995, 2000, 2003, and 2012, but all I keep thinking about is how I can't really think of his time in St Louis"

"That's so true. It's always going to be 1464 games played for the Devils, and 7 for...wait what team did you say he played for again?"

To at least me but I doubt I am alone.

I am not telling Marty what he should or should not do. I am stating how i feel about his decision as a fan of his for 20 years. If he had to play for another team, fine go out and play some great hockey for a few years (and still hope he does, some how). But if this is it? to go out like this? it's sad.

You know what? Other people wont have that attitude, but I will. I feel the same way with Niedermayer to this day. It's not about ignoring all the great things he did,. Rather, there will always be a piece of me now that sighs a little on the inside when I hear his name because he is no longer a "Devils only" legend. And we are going to hear his name for a long time to come.

Hindsight is 20/20, and he may not be done yet (again, I hope he rally's somewhere) but it's looking very likely that he is giving up a perfect pristine Devils legacy for 6 games. Obviously that his choice to make, and his alone. As a fan I am expressing my disappointment.