Forwards for next year

Mike Brown

why though? if we were in a true rebuild, then yes we should go for extremely young guys, etc.

but thats not the case. Kessel is a year younger than Schneider. The idea is clearly to win a cup around Schneider, so whouldn't we surround him with guys that will be in their prime at the same time? I honestly think Kessel would be a perfect piece to add... he plays the RW too. we have a Defense in place, with a stud goaltender, we should add a Kessel, and a few other forwards and we're set.

obviously its easier said than done, but in theory that would be a prime scenario.

It needs to be the right type of forwards. They lack a 1c. As you said easier said than done and do you have 100% faith in Lou and Conte to get what we lack and not water them down with "Devils hockey"?

Honestly if we got knocked out of the 1st rd or just barely missed the playoffs then I'd say go for Kessel. But right now I would rather trade the 1st for a package starring Kadri, Hall or Drouin.

Start with Gomez, Elias, Cammy, Henrique, Zajac, & Josefson. Every one else on offense goes.

Now build a team. Difficult, yes.

Mathaeu and Boucher don't belong, trade.

This can be done. Can't afford 2 or 3 more years of not making the playoffs.

Harris must step in using outside advisors.

Once again, you suggest huge sweeping changes but don't explain how you just replace half the team. How do you fill in those spots?

The issues for next year, besides the obvious, are as follows:

They have 3 fourth line RWs that they like (Bernier, Tootoo, Gionta).  Thinking that Bernier is a 3rd line RW is wishcasting - he's simply not good enough offensively, he's proven that over the last 5 years - this little run here is a fluke.

While they have plenty of cap room - I estimate something like $13M for 2 forwards and 2 D, and that's taking into account the worst-case scenario for the cap and not even counting Clowe as being on LTIR - the problem is that there aren't any good contracts to take on.  The best contract for them to take on would be a bad contract ending next year, one that they could move at the deadline, so they could even come out of that move with a profit in terms of assets.  But there's nothing like that out there.  Everything that's going to be available is going to be toxic, and the prices for young/unproven talent are going to be out of control - we already saw that at the deadline, 2 2nds for Brett Connolly is way too much for a team like NJ to pay.

Getting Kessel is a fire Lou kind of move.  He cannot trade the 2016 1st round pick except for a star player 25 or younger.  This team with Kessel next year is still quite bad.

Edited by Triumph

They have 3 fourth line RWs that they like (Bernier, Tootoo, Gionta).  Thinking that Bernier is a 3rd line RW is wishcasting - he's simply not good enough offensively, he's proven that over the last 5 years - this little run here is a fluke.

While they have plenty of cap room - I estimate something like $13M for 2 forwards and 2 D, and that's taking into account the worst-case scenario for the cap and not even counting Clowe as being on LTIR - the problem is that there aren't any good contracts to take on.  The best contract for them to take on would be a bad contract ending next year, one that they could move at the deadline, so they could even come out of that move with a profit in terms of assets.  But there's nothing like that out there.  Everything that's going to be available is going to be toxic, and the prices for young/unproven talent are going to be out of control - we already saw that at the deadline, 2 2nds for Brett Connolly is way too much for a team like NJ to pay.

Getting Kessel is a fire Lou kind of move.  He cannot trade the 2016 1st round pick except for a star player 25 or younger.  This team with Kessel next year is still quite bad.

Yeah I have a feeling the 2016 1st will probably be top ten again maybe even top 5. We just need to be patient. This team will be good again in a few years with a few good drafts and maybe a decent trade. No need to blow a bunch of cash on long term free agents when there aren't even any worth what we'll have to pay. 

I think that the sooner people realise that there is no fix for next year. Or quite possibly the next 2-3 years, the better it will be in terms of fan expectation.

Our drafting is going to have to be top, top notch to even start to get us out of this mess.

Eh, he's scored 20+ points in his career more times than not. and its not like he's 35 years old. yeah hes been inconsistant here in NJ but at time and for long streaks he plays like a solid 3rd line winger

Henrique, Cammy, and Zajac are not expendable.

I wouldn't say they are not expendable, but I am not sure what you could obtain to replace them. If you could make a move that brought in a legit superstar player, then I would think any one of those guys might be part of a deal. 

This is especially true of Zajac, I am not a fan lately and he has brought almost nothing to the table that a "first line center" should. I don't understand the Jacob Josefson love either, he's shown signs that maybe one day he might be good, but that day isn't today and I can't be sure its ever coming. 

BUT, it would have to be a huge step up. Especially Henrique and Cammalleri are a step beyond average in my opinion, and I wouldn't let either go in a lateral move. 

Zajac I would consider trading at this point, assuming the deal was right. Again, it would have to be as part of a deal for a better forward. To trade him for another defensive guy with faceoff skills and limited scoring ability wouldn't be smart. 

Next year, our ceiling is pretty much being like the Rangers when Lundqvist was 28 (in 2010-2011). I mean, that team was bad. You have the Chris Drury situation, Vinny Prospal is still with them. No one broke 54 points, and that was Dubinsky...

The acquisition of Marion Gaborik the year before was okay but he wasn't brilliant that year. 

However, the 25 year old Callahan is starting to mature and develop. He finished the season with 48 points (same as Henrique, per MB's projection, for purposes of the discussion). The young Marc Staal is showing promise, and McDonaugh's getting his first sniff at the NHL, on an otherwise barren defense. I mean, that 2010-2011 team's full of scrubs. But they make the playoffs, and predictably, lose in round 1.

That's our ceiling next year, and it's a good objective to shoot for, with the end goal being then going on to emulate the 2011-2012/2012-2013/2013-2014(???) Rangers within 3-4 years and/or win a Cup; keep building on the blocks you have.

At that point in time, much like where we are now, 28 year old Henrik Lundqvist is the undisputed #1 and future of the franchise. They had more questions on defense than we do, I think, and we have more questions on offense than they did, etc..

But I hate to say it, the Rangers are showing a quick turnaround is possible. It wasn't quick for them, the fans, after the dark years. But it was quick from the perspective of what is being discussed here, building around a elite/borderline-elite goaltender in his prime.

Edited by DJ Eco

Once again, you suggest huge sweeping changes but don't explain how you just replace half the team. How do you fill in those spots?

That's a fair questions. Actually I was saying let's get rid of the junk players and start building a team.

If I knew the answers I wouldn't be on this forum I would be a NHL GM.

Thanks for asking however.

That's a fair questions. Actually I was saying let's get rid of the junk players and start building a team.

In your post you were specific on which players we needed to dump and that change was needed.  When asked how you would replace them your answer is "I don't know." 

You would make a great politician

And you're confident that Lou and Conte will get this done? Because I'm not. 

I'd like to think that next year is Lou's last chance to show the owners and the fans that he still knows what he's doing, but I'm kind of expecting it to be his last. But they might let him get to 30 years if that's what he wants. Who they draft this year and who was still on the board when they picked will greatly affect how I think Lou sees the game today.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

There's no way next year's first is tradable. If we want to put a decent team together that can sustainably succeed, it's going to start with these early draft picks. I get on Lou and conte as much as anyone when it comes to the draft, but we've seen them pick top 10 once in how many years? Let's see what we can pull out of these next two drafts, and maybe a top 6 forward or two will come through this summer or next or through a deal. Then maybe we have a team that's competing. Maybe we have an elite back end and a diverse group of forwards who can score a couple of goals.

Those players have to come from somewhere. That's the whole point. 

I'd like to think that next year is Lou's last chance to show the owners and the fans that he still knows what he's doing, but I'm kind of expecting it to be his last. But they might let him get to 30 years if that's what he wants. Who they draft this year and who was still on the board when they picked will greatly affect how I think Lou sees the game today.

When Lou finally retires does Chris Lamoriello automatically become GM?

In your post you were specific on which players we needed to dump and that change was needed.  When asked how you would replace them your answer is "I don't know." 

You would make a great politician

Federal or State? Republic or Democratic? House or Senate?

A POS player can be replaced by a POS player through trade. Gionta and Zubrus for example could be replaced by trading for any young player that made it into the NHL last season. Go get Mathis Tedneby he is better than either. Replacing POS isn't that difficult for most GMs just get young ones.

If you throw 100% of $hit on the wall you hope 50% sticks.

Those players have to come from somewhere. That's the whole point.

Start out by bringing back Mathis Tedneby he is fast and can skate he is offensive better than Gionta and Zubrus. We must rid ourselves of the $hit. Get young players that are just starting through trades how that 50% make it. Do something yo bring some excitement to this $hit show. The current Devils are boring and could be beat by a high school team.

Start out by bringing back Mathis Tedneby he is fast and can skate he is offensive better than Gionta and Zubrus. We must rid ourselves of the $hit. Get young players that are just starting through trades how that 50% make it. Do something yo bring some excitement to this $hit show. The current Devils are boring and could be beat by a high school team.

Tedenby was $hit. Skating fast and doing nothing with the puck isn't helpful.

Recycling crap that didn't work the first time sounds like a solid idea. I hardly find Tedenby exciting but he does skate faster while accomplishing nothing. Ilkka Pikkarainen is probably available too.

Lets hope not, that's the same as continuing with Lou.

For arguments sake, how do you know that?  Is Rocky Wirtz the same as his father, Bill Wirtz, after he took over the Blackhawks?  Those 2 couldn't be more different.

I'm not saying Chris should be the GM after Lou retires by any means, but to say that he has the same way of doing things as Lou is a massive generalization.

Tedenby was $hit. Skating fast and doing nothing with the puck isn't helpful.

Don't forget getting knocked off the puck by a light wind from each time the AC kicked on in the arena. 

When Lou finally retires does Chris Lamoriello automatically become GM?

Personally I'm ready for this team to have a new identity so I hope they hire someone outside of the organization when Lou goes.

For arguments sake, how do you know that?  Is Rocky Wirtz the same as his father, Bill Wirtz, after he took over the Blackhawks?  Those 2 couldn't be more different.

I'm not saying Chris should be the GM after Lou retires by any means, but to say that he has the same way of doing things as Lou is a massive generalization. 

I don't know if he'd keep the same defensive minded system in place like his father but he probably would keep his meaningless traditions like only low numbers and no beards. Really has Albany even been that good since he's taken over as GM to warrant the job with NJ?

Don't forget getting knocked off the puck by a light wind from each time the AC kicked on in the arena. 

How can you say that about Chris? Look at his track record and the way he runs everything he has touched in every market he's been in. He's tone deaf to the fan base (which is tolerable I guess when you win) he's a disaster otherwise and would have been let go in any other organization years ago if he was being judged on anything but his last name.