3-on-3 tournament to replace NHL all-star game

eaglejelly

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-all-star-game-three-on-three-1.3325007

A three-on-three tournament featuring teams from the four divisions will replace the traditional game at the 2016 NHL all-star weekend in Nashville in late January. The official announcement of the new format is coming Wednesday night.

I remember the All Star Game for any of the sports I watched appealing to me until I was about 14.  The last time I actually watched any ASG was when I went to see it at Fenway in 1999 (?) back when I was really into baseball.  Besides that though, I don't remember the last time I ever watched one, and I wouldn't mind if they got rid of it all together.

I guess it's one of those things though that you need to have to be a "respectable" North American sports league.  For that reason, I would make it as gimmick free as possible, but what do I know.

My NHL viewership is down over 90% this year anyway (the 3 on 3 roller hockey on ice gimmick is a MAJOR reason why.....I didn't even get Center Ice for like the first time in 15 years).....missing one more game will have no effect on me....they even took the fun out of the skills competition on Sat Nights....oh well, I barely watch the NHL on the Fly reruns in the morning now

Why is anyone upset about this? Did any of you actually watch the All-Star game last year? If the answer to that is 'yes', you can honestly tell me it wasn't gimmicky then too?

Other than the fantasy draft, what was gimmicky about it?

I rarely find any all-star game in any league to be all that compelling.  I don't think I ever watched a second of a Pro Bowl game or NBA All-Star game.  However, while silly as they are, they are still "games."  Why does the NHL have to resort in a pee-wee hockey 3 on 3 tournament when all the other ones are fine with just keeping them as exhibition games?

I hate gimmicks more than anyone, but the only purpose of most all star games is pure entertainment. We're going to complain about the format? That's silly. I'll watch the hockey and baseball all star games. I went out of my way for the skills competition and the home run derby this past year. Let the best players showcase their skills, who cares if it's in traditional format or not? We'll get that with the world cup anyway.

So glad the fantasy draft is gone. I haven't watched in years, but I actually like this idea. Guessing Schneider is only Devil?

Last year maybe. I'd suspect greene larsson and henrique get some consideration, maybe cam and zajac if he keeps on this pace (which isn't likely). I'd guess we get one skater

Wonder if Schneider is making the team... Lundqvist will be there for sure then its gonna be between Schneider, Holtby, Fleury and Halak i guess

My money's on Schneider at #2. Every team has to be represented, and they're definitely gonna have Tavares, Crosby/Malkin and Ovechkin, among others. Doubt we'll have a second skater in though, because "we're New Jersey"...