Elias Announces Retirement

sundstrom

Just got email from the Devils

#PattysLastLap April 8 Devils vs. Islanders. Having trouble viewing this email?

1617_devilslogo_OneJersey_InvestorsBank_black_400x150.png

clear.gif

1617_social_fbook.jpg

1617_social_twitter.jpg

1617_social_instagram.jpg

1617_social_snapchat.jpg

1617_social_YT.jpg

clear.gif

devils_pattyslastlap_emailheader_600x442.png

clear.gif

PATRIK ELIAS ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

Dear Jason,

Patrik Elias, two-time Stanley Cup Champion with and franchise goal and point leader of the New Jersey Devils, is announcing his retirement from the National Hockey League today.

The Devils will retire Elias' No. 26 jersey in a ceremony next season. His number will join No. 4 Scott Stevens, No. 3 Ken Daneyko, No. 27 Scott Niedermayer and No. 30 Martin Brodeur in the Prudential Center rafters. (Details are to be determined.)

Since you are a highly valued Premium Season Ticket Member, we wanted to give you the news first. We also want to invite you to exclusive upcoming opportunities with Patty as part of our Fan Appreciation Week presented by Prudential.

Join Us

April 4 & April 6
5-6:30 p.m. both days

clear.gif

PHOTO OPPORTUNITY WITH PATTY
Take a photo with Patty, exclusively for our most valued Members. You can bring up to eight guests to the photo session.
Please note that you can only attend one of the two photo sessions.
RSVP for April 4 OR
RSVP for April 6

April 4
Devils vs. Philadelphia Flyers | 7 p.m.

clear.gif

PUCK DROP
Patty will drop the ceremonial first puck at the game.
Make sure you're there.

April 7
12 p.m.

clear.gif

OPEN PRACTICE
Patty will skate in an open practice with the whole team. Members will be given early entry.
RSVP for open practice

April 8
Devils vs. New York Islanders | 6 p.m.

clear.gif

#PattysLastLap
Patty will lead the team out to warmups before the game and take his last lap on the Prudential Center main ice. Make sure you don't miss it.

We hope to see you all throughout next week to celebrate Patty's career with the Devils!

Please contact your Client Experience Account Executive if you have any questions.

We hope to see you all throughout next week to celebrate Patty's career with the Devils!

Please contact your Client Experience Account Executive if you have any questions.

clear.gif

elias-daneyko.600x337.jpg

clear.gif

Patty sits down with Ken Daneyko to talk about his career with the Devils and his decision to retire.

clear.gif

i-dXmzJ99.gif

clear.gif

You cannot reply to this email

Prudential Center | 25 Lafayette Street | Newark, NJ 07102

Manage your email preferences or unsubscribe

It will really hit me when he skates his last lap...though I strongly suspected he was never coming back, now we know for absolute certain that he's done.  The last on-ice link to one killer Devils era.  You will be missed Patty.  Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do next. 

There's a nice space on my wall at home that is waiting for you to join the rest.  A very welcome addition for sure.

• Like 2

Had a feeling it was coming.   All that you can say is he is and was a true model Devil.  Great guy, great player.  That last lap next Saturday will be special.  This indeed is the last link to a great Devils era.  Hopefully we are now in the beginning of starting and building a new great era.  Having him retire and celebrating his career at the end of this season is a great way to wind down this year since it hasn't been all that great.  As sad as it can be to see where we are now and look back at those years that sometimes seem like they were yesterday but in actuality were quite long ago (can't believe the 2000 Cup was 17 years ago and Elias was only 24 years old), I'm trying to be OK with closing that chapter, still forever holding onto the memories, and looking forward to the future and more good memories to come.

Thank you for everything Patty.  Congratulatons on a great career.

And how cool is it that, where once upon a time the only Devils banner was "1987-88 Patrick Division Playoff Champions", there's now several others (including the 3 Cup Champion banners of course), and soon to be FIVE retired numbers...and even cooler, not one of them feels cheap...two Hall of Famers in the Scotts, with a third soon to follow in Marty, and possibly a 4th in Elias.  Great great times.    

My all time favorite Devils player.  I will be at the game on Tuesday, but doubtful for next Saturday (but will watch the game from home).  I got a replica jersey of his back in 2000 right before the playoffs started and was my favorite replica that I ever wore.  Been fortunate enough to see his entire career and was at the game where he broke MacLean's points record in the same game as Marty's 552 game in March of 2009.  I will definitely be at his retirement night game next season no if's, and's or butt's.

Here are some of my Elias game used/worn collection that I have collected over the years:

Elias 1995-96 Albany River Rats game worn jersey.  First gamer Patrik wore as a professional hockey player in North America.  Looks like the A was added after he wore it as he was not an alternate that year for the Rats.  I believe I have a photomatch for this as well from a game from January of 96.

33433808546_d55a7899ff_c.jpg

33346308111_a335f0bb33_c.jpg

Patrik Elias 2001-02 white set 2 game worn.  Also have this photomatched.

33053707570_f3e24c0f61_c.jpg

32622720573_baf456eea8_c.jpg

Patrik Elias 2013-14 White set 1.  Also have this photomatched.  He also wore this in the ceremonial puck drop at the first ever game (preseason) in Brooklyn against the Islanders at Barclays in September 2013.

31391566960_935e2466f6_c.jpg

30922482604_5c3ab41f6b_c.jpg

Elias Game worn gloves.  Used mostly during 2013-14 season and photomatched.

33626216681_f54fa2407f_c.jpg

Also have a game used autographed stick from Elias, but do not have a pic handy.

• Like 9

I am going to go with one more recent, the first goal of our 2011-12 run... the last playoff win I was in attendance for. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iXuxoNecYo

Patrik will always be my favorite player. I'm going to cry when he drops the puck on the 4th and then cry again when he skates that last lap on the 8th... then cry some more when his number is retired next year.

• Like 2

People talk about how this franchise has hit such rough times and they go back and forth about Parise leaving and Kovalchuk leaving and this guy not living up to expectations and that guy not, but I almost never hear anyone mention the simple fact that Patrik Elias stopped being a 1st line forward.  He was a first-line forward for almost 15 years, and we usually took him for granted.  He was never the fastest player and he probably didn't have the best shot on the team either, but he's probably the smartest player I've ever seen.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, GoArmySports said:

http://oi41.tinypic.com/slgxt1.jpg

The ignoring of Sykora will never get old. 

Haha, never seen that before.  Did they have some kind of falling out or something?  Sykora was always my favorite player.

Nevermind, looks like later on in the clip he was joking about it, I assume.  Guess he just didn't see him when he turned around so quickly.  Pretty hilarious.

Edited by NJDfan1711

4 minutes ago, Triumph said:

People talk about how this franchise has hit such rough times and they go back and forth about Parise leaving and Kovalchuk leaving and this guy not living up to expectations and that guy not, but I almost never hear anyone mention the simple fact that Patrik Elias stopped being a 1st line forward.  He was a first-line forward for almost 15 years, and we usually took him for granted.  He was never the fastest player and he probably didn't have the best shot on the team either, but he's probably the smartest player I've ever seen.

Amen to that.  I've always appreciated his hockey smarts. He was a very patient player with the puck.  Good penalty killer too.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Haha, never seen that before.  Did they have some kind of falling out or something?  Sykora was always my favorite player.

I have heard rumors for a good 15 years now that Elias and Sykora were not nearly as close as fans and others made them out to be.  In fact, most of those rumors have pointed that Arnott and Elias were closer friends and that neither cared much for Sykora after the 2000 playoffs.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I have heard rumors for a good 15 years now that Elias and Sykora were not nearly as close as fans and others made them out to be.  In fact, most of those rumors have pointed that Arnott and Elias were closer friends and that neither cared much for Sykora after the 2000 playoffs.

Gotcha.  I could see that to a degree, though it's probably easier to think that being that Sykora was the one who departed from the team first, leaving a connection between Elias/Arnott lasting a little longer.  I have to think, despite the fact that we all know how much Lou loved re-treads, that Sykora came back for a 2nd stint in part because of Elias.  I have to imagine he probably vouched for him and wanted his former linemate/countryman back, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Elias was the type of player you dream about having on your franchise. Home grown, a fierce competitor that always strove to improve, a clutch playoff performer, responsible defensively. He never called attention to himself, never a peep about him off the ice. 

In this age of social media we see pro athletes indiscretions pasted everywhere...all the time. The list of guys who you can point to and tell your kids "be like them, play like that...do that in that situation" is growing smaller and smaller. Elias is one of those guys who is still a role model.

It was a great privilege watching him play.

Well said.  Some people would consider a player like that "boring", in some sad way.

For me, what's amazing about Elias' career is that it wasn't all smooth sailing here, but he found ways to fight through.  And like it's been noted multiple times, it's not like this franchise always did right by him, in terms of supplying him complementary talent...he admitted in a NYT article (today's) that he sometimes wondered about playing for other teams (no real surprise)...can't say that I blame him.  That first year-and-a-half or so after he signed his big deal (after very nearly signing with the Rangers), he was clearly having a tough time...the 4-goals-in-42 games slump, the constant looking up at the rafters after yet another scoring opportunity gone for naught...he scored just 24 goals in his first 100 games (regular season and playoffs combined) after signing that 7-year contract, and though his overall numbers didn't seem to be that bad in that time frame, something just didn't seem right with him.  From a purely forensic standpoint, one could say he had incredibly rotten puck luck those two seasons (7.9 and 7.6 shooting%s, well below his 12.4% career number).  Well, as we saw, he fought through it (a couple of years like that might have broken others), and though he never as dynamic as he had been earlier in his career, and was continually asked to do a lot as he aged, he found a way to be consistent well into his late 30s.   

Always thought it was cool that, in 2010-11, he said something along the lines of "Because things aren't going well here doesn't mean you look to bail."  I'm not sure when it happened exactly, but where at one point he wasn't sure about being a Devil forever, something seemed to have changed, and he decided he was all in, no matter what.  I like that Elias really seems to look back on his entire tenure here, good and bad, with no regrets. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1