In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

I don't get people wanting to trade Henrique either.  I mean, yeah I do if we get a solid return where it looks like we clearly won in the deal, but assuming, as others have said, that most trades usually end up being somewhat equal in the sense that you have to give up something to get something, then I'd just as much rather hold onto him.  He's still pretty young, and a pretty consistent producer.  As our team (hopefully) gets better and we have better guys around him, I believe he'll be the beneficiary of that as well.  

As far as Kovalchuk goes, I'm a little surprised that there's talks of him coming back, and if he does I'll be disappointed if he doesn't stay here, but at the end of the day if we get something for him in a sign-and-trade, that's better than nothing.

52 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

I like Henrique, but he's far from indispensable.  I see him as part of the transition, but not necessarily in the long term rebuild.  When this team is good (i.e. 3-5 years from now), he'll be 30-32.  When this team is cup contender ready (i.e. 5-10 years from now), he'll be old.  If we can use him to fill a larger need (say a top D who is younger), I think the Devils do it.  Again, I like Henrique and what he brings.  But he's the exact kind of player that gets flipped when an opportunity arises - someone who can be marketed to the other team, who can score some goals, who can fill in anywhere in the top 9, etc. - but who isn't the savior by any stretch.  He'd do great on a playoff bound team, i.e. a place where scoring 40-50 points is all that's required of him for that team to be enormously successful.  On a related note, are the ladies truly in love with Henrique?  Doesn't the dude have crossed eyes?  Sorry if that's untoward, lol, but doesn't he??

The ladies do love him. I never noticed him having crossed eyes so I Google Image searched him, and I do not think that he does. They may be a little close together.

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The ladies do love him. I never noticed him having crossed eyes so I Google Image searched him, and I do not think that he does. They may be a little close together.

They're as close to crossed as you can get without actually being "crossed". :-)  

8 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

So Columbus have said that they are talking to Kovalchuks agent. 

Who would we want from Columbus? What would be considered a reasonable return?

They are thin on the ground in terms of D men already and aren't going to part with Jones. Equally they aren't giving up players like Wennburg. 

Others will disagree with this, since I floated this in the past when others disagreed, but Boone Jenner is my man from CLB that I think they would actually give up.

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Secondly, healthcare and economics aren't politics. They're healthcare and economics.

Yeah, you're right, economics and healthcare don't figure in the political landscape at all.  Please don't respond with another semantic point.    There's a specific place on the board where you can talk about how awesome Scandanavia is, why it's that it way, etc. to your heart's content.

19 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

They're as close to crossed as you can get without actually being "crossed". :-)  

Others will disagree with this, since I floated this in the past when others disagreed, but Boone Jenner is my man from CLB that I think they would actually give up.

I wonder if you could shoot for the moon and ask for PLD.  Doubt it, but maybe you convince them that Kovalchuk is the final piece now to winning a Cup.

Just now, Daniel said:

Yeah, you're right, economics and healthcare don't figure in the political landscape at all.  Please don't respond with another semantic point.    There's a specific place on the board where you can talk abou

That wasn't the point if you read into the context of the conversation. I couldn't give a sh!t about the Nordic countries, but the point is that despite their advancement, I'm not going to live there just to live in some crap town, the same way that it doesn't matter that the United States is more advanced than Russia, it doesn't mean a Russian like Kovalchuk will jump at the opportunity to live in Columbus. If I'm going to leave my home, I'm going to go somewhere interesting. If Kovalchuk wants to play under Tortorella in ColuMbus, good for him, but I'm guessing he'd rather go to Miami or LA to make less money in a foreign country.

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

That wasn't the point if you read into the context of the conversation. I couldn't give a sh!t about the Nordic countries, but the point is that despite their advancement, I'm not going to live there just to live in some crap town, the same way that it doesn't matter that the United States is more advanced than Russia, it doesn't mean a Russian like Kovalchuk will jump at the opportunity to live in Columbus. If I'm going to leave my home, I'm going to go somewhere interesting. If Kovalchuk wants to play under Tortorella in ColuMbus, good for him, but I'm guessing he'd rather go to Miami or LA to make less money in a foreign country.

It doesn't seem there are a shortage of teams interested, so he might well have that option (assuming Ray gives it to him). 

However, Columbus seems to have some stuff going on down there, they may well be in a position to compete, and that could be attractive to him.

Plus its as close to his house in NJ as we should probably allow him to get. Personally I would not trade him within the Metro if that could be avoided, but again, like with all trades, depends on what the return is. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I wonder if you could shoot for the moon and ask for PLD.  Doubt it, but maybe you convince them that Kovalchuk is the final piece now to winning a Cup.

Nah I don't think there is a chance that do that. They took him after they let Ryan Johansson go as his future replacement. 

Jenner could be an option. Oliver Bjorkstrand would be interesting. 

Hoping Ray can get more than a pick for him, but looking at it we don't really hold the upper hand to be fleecing anyone. 

46 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It doesn't seem there are a shortage of teams interested, so he might well have that option (assuming Ray gives it to him). 

However, Columbus seems to have some stuff going on down there, they may well be in a position to compete, and that could be attractive to him.

Plus its as close to his house in NJ as we should probably allow him to get. Personally I would not trade him within the Metro if that could be avoided, but again, like with all trades, depends on what the return is. 

Yea it does seem like they're the ones making the noise right now. I don't have as big an issue moving him to a non rival within the division. We only play them 4 times a year and probably won't see them in the playoffs while Kovalchuk is relevant. It's not as if they'll beat us any more than they already do.

Kovalchuk doesn't seem like the player that would mesh well with Tortorella. He's coming back on his terms, and can't imagine he'll appreciate being treated like a rookie the way Tortorella treats all his players. He responded to Lemaire well, but I got the sense he was hard on his players but had far more respect for them than Torts does.

While we're on the subject, can we talk about what a sham Torts' Jack Adams was? Running Team USA into the ground should've disqualified him off the bat. fvcking moron.

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Nah I don't think there is a chance that do that. They took him after they let Ryan Johansson go as his future replacement. 

Jenner could be an option. Oliver Bjorkstrand would be interesting. 

Hoping Ray can get more than a pick for him, but looking at it we don't really hold the upper hand to be fleecing anyone. 

Only reason I mention PLD is that he had something of a disappointing season and probably isn't NHL ready.  So perhaps they're down on him and figure it's worth the gamble if they're high on Kovy.

52 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea it does seem like they're the ones making the noise right now. I don't have as big an issue moving him to a non rival within the division. We only play them 4 times a year and probably won't see them in the playoffs while Kovalchuk is relevant. It's not as if they'll beat us any more than they already do.

I could easily accept a deal with CBJ as a non-rival over a deal with the Rangers. I just feel like Kovy is a good player and generally speaking, you don't want to improve the other teams in your division. 

Although, as I have said in at least three other threads lately, "it all depends on what the return is". 

Columbus has a ton of good forward prospects a la Bjorkstrand, PLD and Abramov, but the funny thing is, especially after this draft,  we aren't in dire need up front. Id be happy with any of the above three but I wonder if we can get a young top 4 d elsewhere 

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

Only reason I mention PLD is that he had something of a disappointing season and probably isn't NHL ready.  So perhaps they're down on him and figure it's worth the gamble if they're high on Kovy.

From what I can tell from looking at a few different reports is that they are still quite high on him and feel he has a lot of up sides. 

4 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Columbus has a ton of good forward prospects a la Bjorkstrand, PLD and Abramov, but the funny thing is, especially after this draft,  we aren't in dire need up front. Id be happy with any of the above three but I wonder if we can get a young top 4 d elsewhere 

That's exactly my thoughts, but are there more openings here at forward than we think.. we need a good roster thread started

who knows, hynes may be perfectly happy with greene/severson, Mueller/Moore. he has puck movers in this setup

If we're somehow able to pull Abramov away from CBJ for Kovalchuk, I'd be jumping for joy. Had the kid ranked 22nd in his draft year and he somehow fell all the way to the 3rd Round, kid is an elite offensive player IMO.

That being said, I don't think it's entirely outlandish to get Murray one-for-one for Kovalchuk. CBJ wants to add scoring ability and a more dynamic quality to their team, and dealing Murray still leaves them with a great top 4 of Werenski-Jones and Johnson-Savard. Murray is the #5 on that team right now, don't think they would be totally unwilling to part with him to add potentially a 60+ point player.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I can't wait until that guy retires for real. His wishy washy act is old. 

I'd hate to be stuck behind Kovalchuk at a Starbucks while he spends 3 hours trying to figure out if he wants a grande or vente orange mocca frappucino. 

• Like 1

I can't wait until that guy retires for real. His wishy washy act is old. 
I'd hate to be stuck behind Kovalchuk at a Starbucks while he spends 3 hours trying to figure out if he wants a grande or vente orange mocca frappucino. 

He's ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Admittedly based on not-very reliable Russian and Eastern European twitter accounts, it appears that all SKA is really doing to induce him to stay in the KHL is a dump truck full of money, one report saying as much as $10 million a year.  From a Devils' fan standpoint I think this is probably encouraging news, however it plays out.  If the KHL has to offer him that much money, it would appear that there is plenty of interest from NHL teams, which means we could be looking at a pretty good return in a trade if he ends up returning.  If he takes the KHL deal, it'll likely be for several years which means it'll be the last we all hear of him hopefully. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Admittedly based on not-very reliable Russian and Eastern European twitter accounts, it appears that all SKA is really doing to induce him to stay in the KHL is a dump truck full of money, one report saying as much as $10 million a year.  From a Devils' fan standpoint I think this is probably encouraging news, however it plays out.  If the KHL has to offer him that much money, it would appear that there is plenty of interest from NHL teams, which means we could be looking at a pretty good return in a trade if he ends up returning.  If he takes the KHL deal, it'll likely be for several years which means it'll be the last we all hear of him hopefully. 

Until next year, he will retire from that contract and come back to the NHL lol.

Elliotte Friedman Retweeted

Slava Malamud‏ @SlavaMalamud 7m7 minutes ago

Today, SKA will make its final push to keep Kovalchuk in a face-to-face meeting. Expect literally all of the money to be thrown at him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/A_Kalnins/status/880441333344870402?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhfboards.hockeysfuture.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2354579%26page%3D23