2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

History has shown that both these teams have a way of being insanely lucky and opportunistic. And they can both get good goaltending. So it's always scary

True. Especially the lucky part. The Montreal game is IN Montreal. That could be an issue they're always dangerous at home

Just now, '7' said:

True. Especially the lucky part. The Montreal game is IN Montreal. That could be an issue they're always dangerous at home

I dont know how they pull it off, it's not even the same players. But they always keep that fvcking insane luck over the years.

And yes I'm aware that I'm probably biased and those are the 2 teams I hate the most, but I still take it into consideration.

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

I think in specific rivalry games you'll see effort from the non contenders playing very fast and loose. The Rangers played a very spirited game against a Flyer about a week back. They lost but what can you do. They're a worse team. If there is no animosity then some of these games end up looking like total quit jobs. Not all, but a lot of them.

My beef is that anhkheg seemed to take a quick look at each schedule and simply did a very binary projection, without doing much research.  He has the BJs sweeping their road trip.  If he'd actually checked recent performances, he'd have seen that the Oilers have gone a respectable 9-5-2 in their last 16, which includes a road win against the Panthers...they've also beaten the Kings twice, the Wild once, and gone 1-0-1 against the Ducks.  Calgary is currently in a slump, but even with a five-game losing streak, their overall record isn't awful (though their home record is), and they'll be rested when they play the BJs.  And Vancouver's actually won two out of their last three, and just beat Dallas 4-1. 

Not saying that the BJs CAN'T sweep their trip, but it's not a sure thing.  I can see them only banking 3 or 4 points. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I wonder if there's any truth to it. 

Laraque is still a sh!thead either way, of course...

Even if it is true, that makes me respect Taylor 100x more.  Got himself help, got himself out of that sh!thole city, got his head straight here,  and went on to have one of the best seasons a Devil has ever had.  Either way, Laraque is a real a$$hole for airing this for his stupid fvcking podcast or whatever it was for.  So much for "the code".  fvcking goon.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Even if it is true, that makes me respect Taylor 100x more.  Got himself help, got himself out of that sh!thole city, got his head straight here,  and went on to have one of the best seasons a Devil has ever had.  Either way, Laraque is a real a$$hole for airing this for his stupid fvcking podcast or whatever it was for.  So much for "the code".  fvcking goon.

i'd even say that if it's true that it's really solidifying his relationship with Shero and the Devils. Not only from a career point of view but from a personal life point of view he was able to start clean with NJ and he's having his best season here and Shero was a big part of that. That stays with players

• Like 1

Laraque is a piece of sh!t who clearly is trying to make himself and all his fellow Oilers fans feel better here.... But considering lying about something like this opens Laraque up to a libel suit, I don't doubt there's some truth to it. However, I don't care. It's not Laraque's place to put someone on blast about something very personal like that, and I hope Hall continues to make the Oilers look stupid every time he steps on the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i'd even say that if it's true that it's really solidifying his relationship with Shero and the Devils. Not only from a career point of view but from a personal life point of view he was able to start clean with NJ and he's having his best season here and Shero was a big part of that. That stays with players

I would add that if it is true, maybe his turning it all around as a member of the Devils is another consideration when it comes time to re-sign him. He won't be so fast to go back to Edmonton or some other boring place in Canada if that's part of his problem. 

EDIT: Unless its one of those "I get too much sex and I can't control myself" rehabs. Technically he didn't say what the alleged problem was. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My beef is that anhkheg seemed to take a quick look at each schedule and simply did a very binary projection, without doing much research.  He has the BJs sweeping their road trip.  If he'd actually checked recent performances, he'd have seen that the Oilers have gone a respectable 9-5-2 in their last 16, which includes a road win against the Panthers...they've also beaten the Kings twice, the Wild once, and gone 1-0-1 against the Ducks.  Calgary is currently in a slump, but even with a five-game losing streak, their overall record isn't awful (though their home record is), and they'll be rested when they play the BJs.  And Vancouver's actually won two out of their last three, and just beat Dallas 4-1. 

Not saying that the BJs CAN'T sweep their trip, but it's not a sure thing.  I can see them only banking 3 or 4 points. 

Sigh .... Looks like you didnt read the thread after the fact. NJDevs4978 had raised a similar issue and I addressed it. I don't think anyone right now can come close to estimating what will happen.

19 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

It was done based on team standings, I don't know the answer to who will win or who will lose. Perhaps I should change it to assuming the team higher in the standings will win. Bear in mind, teams lower in the standings are not necessarily a push over either, they are playing for pride or for a contract next year.

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

In not-so-new news, George Laraque is a complete sh!thead

https://thehockeywriters.com/george-laraque-blasts-taylor-hall/

Not cool. Whatever happened happened, it was offseason and needed to be kept confidential. Just a bad job by a dumb guy with no regards to how this may effect Hall. Maybe he wasn't ready to talk about it yet? Maybe he never wants to talk about it.

• Like 1

Re Laraque, I don't know how the Canadian legal system works, but even if Laraque's allegations about drug use were knowingly false and made maliciously, Hall would be well advised not to bother with a libel suit.  First, if Canadian law is similar to US law, Hall would have to sit for a deposition which you could imagine would be an enormous distraction from his day job.  Second, Hall's damages would be minimal.  He's going to get a monster contract with the Devils, so he can't say that he has any lost earnings. 

My opinion is that there might be a kernel of truth in that Hall was a young guy with a lot of money that liked to party maybe a little too much and the team at some point reprimanded him for it and had him see someone which I guess you could call "rehab."  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Re Laraque, I don't know how the Canadian legal system works, but even if Laraque's allegations about drug use were knowingly false and made maliciously, Hall would be well advised not to bother with a libel suit.  First, if Canadian law is similar to US law, Hall would have to sit for a deposition which you could imagine would be an enormous distraction from his day job.  Second, Hall's damages would be minimal.  He's going to get a monster contract with the Devils, so he can't say that he has any lost earnings. 

My opinion is that there might be a kernel of truth in that Hall was a young guy with a lot of money that liked to party maybe a little too much and the team at some point reprimanded him for it and had him see someone which I guess you could call "rehab."  

Well, a deposition could potentially occur during the season, or during the off season, so that might not be a huge issue. 

Second point, he's not going to be able to show any damages. He'd have to show that he couldn't get a monster contract, and had to take less of a deal because of his "problems". Very unlikely to happen and as such, he'd be sunk. 

And, of course, it would have to be a false statement to be actionable anyway. If he indeed did go to rehab, or something like rehab, then its not libel/defamation. Its just a guy being a d!ck. 

54 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Sigh .... Looks like you didnt read the thread after the fact. NJDevs4978 had raised a similar issue and I addressed it. I don't think anyone right now can come close to estimating what will happen.

Didn't see that last part.  I agree, very hard to estimate performances in a parity-driven league.  Just not enough true pushovers. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He sure did.

Wow screw that guy.  Hall has every right to be furious with that clown.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

What a clown.

Wonder if he's just trying to save face. Doesn't matter to me.

More respect for Hall if he turned it around like he did.

If it is true, it is awesome that Hall turned it around. But honestly, I doubt it's true. If it was, we probably would've heard of it earlier, and definitely from a more reliable source than Laraque. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

People are going crazy on him on Twitter.

Rightly so.

Even if this whole story had any truth to it, who the fvck is Laraque to even bring that out into the open?  Apologizing to Hall doesn't cut it...sure, people fvck up, and Laraque sure did in this case, but just the fact that he thought ANY player's demons could ever be made public fodder for god knows what reason is bad enough.  I feel for Hall, because even with this retraction, some people are either going to wonder if there was really was something to it now, and others will insist that it's still true regardless.  And that's what is SO unfair to Hall...some irresponsible a$$hole reports some sh!t that Hall will now have to deal with, and Hall did NOTHING to deserve any of this. 

Case in point...Devs3cups's post above.  Not attacking you D3C, but now we'll get some "well if this was true" speculation, just because some idiot chose to report it for all to hear.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

Rightly so.
Even if this whole story had any truth to it, who the fvck is Laraque to even bring that out into the open?  Apologizing to Hall doesn't cut it...sure, people fvck up, and Laraque sure did in this case, but just the fact that he thought ANY player's demons could ever be made public fodder for god knows what reason is bad enough.  I feel for Hall, because even with this retraction, some people are either going to wonder if there was really was something to it now, and others will insist that it's still true regardless.  And that's what is SO unfair to Hall...some irresponsible a$$hole reports some sh!t that Hall will now have to deal with, and Hall did NOTHING to deserve any of this. 
Case in point...Devs3cups's post above.  Not attacking you D3C, but now we'll get some "well if this was true" speculation, just because some idiot chose to report it for all to hear.

And now Hall is gonna be asked about it regularly. Not necessarily by our beat writers, but you can bet this will be brought up when the Devils go to Montreal next week, and when Toronto and their gaggle of media come in the last home game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk