GDT: Thank You Patty (6PM ceremony, 8PM puckdrop)

RunninWithTheDevil

11 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

as everyone has stated it was an awesome ceremony and buzz around the rock last night, definitely glad that I decided to go. As for those of you making these comments about brodeur... you're being ridiculous..find something else to analyze. 

And please let it be something other than the length of his hot dog. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, '7' said:

This was maybe the single best event I've ever seen the Devils organization put on. Under Lou these jersey retirements were done on the cheap, basically they'd throw a red carpet on the ice, borrow a New Jersey Board of Ed superintendents podium, couple of folding chairs and that's it. 

After the Brodeur ceremony, and after this ceremony (which was even better) it's so refreshing, and it feels so new, to finally be in first class. 

This organization was cash strapped and on the verge of bankruptcy. They were borrowing money from the league and Andrew Barroway. Players were concerned about getting paid. They literally had a yard sale during the season in the depths of the Rock selling anything they could get a buck for. So yeah, there are consequences of being a money losing franchise...no marketing budget, Parise never really considering signing here, encouraging Kovy to go home and the inferior retirement ceremonies.(according to you)

23 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

This organization was cash strapped and on the verge of bankruptcy. They were borrowing money from the league and Andrew Barroway. Players were concerned about getting paid. They literally had a yard sale during the season in the depths of the Rock selling anything they could get a buck for. So yeah, there are consequences of being a money losing franchise...no marketing budget, Parise never really considering signing here, encouraging Kovy to go home and the inferior retirement ceremonies.(according to you)

It wasn't like that every year. Literally every year from Lou's arrival to Lou's departure was on the very brink of bankruptcy? And suddenly when he leaves you see the contempt for marketing gone, you see real upkeep at the arena, you see a real effort to enter the 1st class. You see a real connection between the team and fans as the social media shutdown was lifted. I'm not just talking about the tail end of the Vanderbeek era. We knew things were bad then.

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, mikepeluso8 said:

Marty Brodeur is PROBABLY an a$$hole. 

Michael Jordan is an a$$hole.

Tiger Woods is an a$$hole.

Tom Brady is an a$$hole.

That's just how this stuff works.  Not surprising, at all.

All in all, the guy should have clapped and done the right thing...no matter how selfish or self-centered he is.

Most of those guys cheated on their wives too haha

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Most of those guys cheated on their wives too haha

You got it.  Egomaniacs.  Self centricity.  I'm the best, I am going to be the best and you can't tell me what to do mentalities.  It's not uncommon with the best of the best of the best to be complete dickheads towards everyone and anyone.  Not surprised.  Marty is an a$$hole.  Oh well.  They always say,  "never meet your heroes" and here is a prime example.  The guy is a grade A piece of sh!t...but one hell of a hockey player.  Carry on, nothing to see here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

It wasn't like that every year. Literally every year from Lou's arrival to Lou's departure was on the very brink of bankruptcy? And suddenly when he leaves you see the contempt for marketing gone, you see real upkeep at the arena, you see a real effort to enter the 1st class. You see a real connection between the team and fans as the social media shutdown was lifted. I'm not just talking about the tail end of the Vanderbeek era. We knew things were bad then.

Yet in the section I was in last night we had people booing the owners (not all but a few idiots.) What have they done other than save the franchise from financial ruin and enable Ray Shero to do everything he has asked for? People are so clueless, maybe they should take note of what the hell is going on in Ottawa right now and see how we have it pretty good. Must still be upset about the stupid fvcking goal song which is just whatever at this point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Yet in the section I was in last night we had people booing the owners (not all but a few idiots.) What have they done other than save the franchise from financial ruin and enable Ray Shero to do everything he has asked for? People are so clueless, maybe they should take note of what the hell is going on in Ottawa right now and see how we have it pretty good. Must still be upset about the stupid fvcking goal song which is just whatever at this point.

Maybe it's just the hip thing to do. The "in" thing to boo owners. But how can you look at that scoreboard, the maintenance and upkeep being done at the arena, the class ceremony for Elias, the newfound accessibility and real connection we have with the team. The direction we're going in with excitement and speed. The owners have been a godsend. And it finally look like we're establishing a real Devils family rather than just talking about having one and not actually having one.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, '7' said:

Maybe it's just the hip thing to do. The "in" thing to boo owners. But how can you look at that scoreboard, the maintenance and upkeep being done at the arena, the class ceremony for Elias, the newfound accessibility and real connection we have with the team. The direction we're going in with excitement and speed. The owners have been a godsend. And it finally look like we're establishing a real Devils family rather than just talking about having one.

I'm guessing they're still butthurt over the goal song.  

37 minutes ago, '7' said:

Totally agree on the social media. Lou had his MO for doing things. He got results. As far as that leading it to being a financially successful franchise that could certainly be debated. This franchise has been fighting to survive from day 1. I am absolutely amazed that a team could be put in this market in 82 and survive. We are still far from out of the woods IMHO. These owners scare me since they are professional liquidators. Let's hope they see a decent ROI(or writeoff) or fall in love with owning this team.

I'm still such on a high from last night. This picture is bringing me so many emotions.

Feeling so proud, privileged, grateful, nostalgic, sad, happy, moved... Thank you so much Patty for all the memories, the goals, the assists, the sacrifices, the records, the leadership, the cups, the clutch goals, the class act you were... You deserve it all.

Putting myself in his shoes, leaving behind something you absolutely loved doing but cannot any more to the level you'd want to. But recognizing everything you've accomplished, seeing the legacy you're leaving behind and seeing the appreciation from everyone surrounding you.... ughhh, I'm getting choked up just typing this.

28383691_10160053833955300_412198996_n.j

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

Totally agree on the social media. Lou had his MO for doing things. He got results. As far as that leading it to being a financially successful franchise that could certainly be debated. This franchise has been fighting to survive from day 1. I am absolutely amazed that a team could be put in this market in 82 and survive. We are still far from out of the woods IMHO. These owners scare me since they are professional liquidators. Let's hope they see a decent ROI(or writeoff) or fall in love with owning this team.

He got on ice results no doubt. For a period of time he was the gold standard franchise builder in the NHL. The team got consistently good in 1990 and entered elite realm in 1993 which we carried through 2012 with some blips here and there. 3 Cups, 5 finals appearances and consistent regular season winning. However during that time period the Devils needed to call more attention to themselves and invest in being an elite, must see, first class franchise that is closely connected to its fans, on the cutting edge of all social media breakthroughs during that era. They didn't do that. The fruits of those successful year should've been a larger fan base, totally devoted to the team and pumping more and more money into the team to help it sustain during the leaner years. Lou believed that if you win they'd come. Well some did come, but many many more would've come if we acted like the Yankees or Habs while winning.

You're right about these new(ish, not really that new anymore) owners. However I feel as though with the Devils ownership troubles the NHL likely needed some assurances before handing the franchise off to these two. We're going into year 5 now and so far, so good. I think they expected some rocky early years but we're just now starting to turn the corner and hopefully make some money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Ffs you’d think Marty was kicking puppies reading this thread. Talk about an overreaction...

Some of it is some fans just wondering aloud what Marty might have been thinking or feeling at certain moments (that's what I was going for, anyway)...but yeah, some of it is a bit over the top.  But it's like I said in a previous post, Marty the person is far more polarizing than Marty the player.  Some fans really don't like the latter, no matter how much they love the former.

Suffice it to say that I definitely don't subscribe to the "Most former greats are a$$holes by default" theory...but sure, some of them have bigger egos than others.  Goes with the territory.  

19 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Why no Jamie Langenbrunner at the event?

Not like Elias was buddy-buddy with every single last teammate.  

• Like 1

I assume some of those guys (aside from Havlat and Zidlicky) are just Patty’s friends. Weekes, Morrison, Rupp, etc are not exactly the names that come to mind when you’re thinking of great Devils. 

Yeah I wasn't surprised to see Zidlicky and Havlat, as they are good friends of Patty's- but when Brendan Morrison came walking out, I was pretty surprised lol. Had no idea he was close with Patty, seeing as he didn't really play here that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Because it would have been awkward given Langs' bad blood on departing here and the fact Sutter gave him the C over Patty?  I doubt the two were particularly close, I don't think Patty even mentioned him in his speech.  And it IS his night after all.

He never mentioned Jagr either. Greatest Czech forward of all time and their paths did cross. I have heard Elias was not a fan of the signing and didn't care much for Jagr's personality and playboy lifestyle

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

He never mentioned Jagr either. Greatest Czech forward of all time and their paths did cross. I have heard Elias was not a fan of the signing and didn't care much for Jagr's personality and playboy lifestyle

For perspective, there are tons of Americans I fvcking can’t stand. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Not like Elias was buddy-buddy with every single last teammate.  

Someone posted earlier that apparently Madden wasn't well liked by his teammates? I'd never heard anything like that before. The Dog is one of my all-time favorite Devils and always will be (and he helped inspire my screen name lol), but that's disappointing to hear if true.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Someone posted earlier that apparently Madden wasn't well liked by his teammates? I'd never heard anything like that before. The Dog is one of my all-time favorite Devils and always will be (and he helped inspire my screen name lol), but that's disappointing to hear if true.

I've heard the Madden stuff. Not that it had anything to do with on ice effort but he was known to be extremely cocky and a bit aloof. He didn't have many friends during his run here. Lou loved him though.

But I mean in fairness there were issues with Richer (turned out it was severe depression) issues with Claude. Steve Thomas wasn't well liked here and didn't enjoy being a Devils. Later vented a bit about it. Tikkanen came here for about ten games and was an a$$hole to end all a$$holes. Lou couldn't wait to ship him out. Neal Broten after the 95 Cup win was an insufferable sourpuss and wanted out.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1