Devs on the radio

TomsRiverDevil

9 hours ago, sammyk said:

It's 2018, people shouldn't be worrying about data usage with the abundance of unlimited plans out there.  That said, yah, audio uses much less data than video would.

I’m on WiFi at work and home, where I am most of the time. My data is unlimited but slows down after (I think) 3 gigs, but then I have 20 gigs of “banked” high speed data as well. I haven’t used one gig in a month in a very long time, so I never even think about data usage anymore. 

Is going to streaming a good thing or bad thing?  I can't decide that while being banished off of radio for many years was a terrible thing, at the same time less and less people are listening to terrestrial radio even in their cars.  It is being taken over by satellite radio as well as streaming services such as spotify.  Are the Devils actually ahead of the curve here?

I use Google Fi for mobile.  It's basically $10/gig for all data which is great because I hardly use mobile data and my bill is like 30-40$ a month.

That being said, the NHL app radio stream does not use much data at all.  I'm pretty frugal when it comes to streaming on 4G and I think listening to a period last night was somewhere around 5MB.

The Devils need to totally disassociate themselves with FAN.

First off, FAN cares NOTHING about hockey as all their hosts know baseball and baseball only.

Second, if they do talk hockey, it's someone crying about the Rangers.

Third, their on-air team is the Islanders when they do air hockey.

In the end, the Devils need to RUN for WFAN when the contract is up.

If you are a hockey fan, and more specifically a Devils fan......................... WFAN is NOT your source for Devils hockey whatsoever. But I think all us Devils fans have figured this out.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TomsRiverDevil said:

So I listened to the NJ Devils game feed in my car using Bluetooth to my phone on the NHL app. It was pleasant. 

These games are much too exciting to miss. Loved the radio call on Hall’s shortie last night. 

Chico has  had some funny senior moments

finally got the radio.com app so I could listen in the car, broadcast is a little goofy, at the beginning of the broadcast they were saying how great it was to be in the arena that so many great players had played in... except Bell centre was opened in '96 3 years after the last cup... so most of the great players never played there...

• Like 1

How the Devils don't have a radio home is mind numbing to me.

Whatever contract they have with WFAN should be torn up right now so the Devils can find themselves a REAL permanent home, not a baseball infested cesspool known as WFAN.

I am not killing WFAN for being a one dimensional baseball network in every form as host and callers can do whatever the heck they please, but with the Devils in playoff with ZERO coverage from its own network isn't doing them any favors whatsoever. 

The hosts on the station, as well as their listening base, wouldn't know a hockey puck if it hit them in the head. Which is fine.

Point is, the Devils should find themselves a better local network for THEIR product and WFAN is hardly it.

Edited by njbuff
  • Like 1