GDT: Devils @ SJ 10:30 PM

MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Some would argue that Schneider has under 400 games played in his career though. That is really small compared to starters who are in his age range. Just look at Fleury. He has almost 400 games more than Cory, and he's still going strong.  Even Rask who is one year younger has 100 more games. Who knows, maybe he really could step it up next year. I think he can.

And what have those two done that Cory hasn't ?  I think the Cory we have now is the Cory we'll always have....So So and never getting near a cup. This team needs a legit goalie who can play lights out.

I know I was spoiled being a STH from 94-2005 and wonder if the Devils can ever be that good again.

1 minute ago, hit the post said:

And what have those two done that Cory hasn't ?  I think the Cory we have now is the Cory we'll always have....So So and never getting near a cup. This team needs a legit goalie who can play lights out.

I know I was spoiled being a STH from 94-2005 and wonder if the Devils can ever be that good again.

And I think COry can be the goalie who was winning games for us not too long ago. We'll see next year. If he doesn't show up next year, Shero has to find a solution. Thank god we have Shero. He actually seems to know what he's doing. I'm optimistic for this summer. I'm hearing more and more people saying we are in on Tavares. I'm derailing a bit, but i have confidence that Schneider can bounce back next year and that we'll be competitive again.

1 minute ago, slasher72 said:

It's amazing how the Sharks are in the playoffs every year and seem to always have a talented roster  (at least compared to us).  It just goes to show how bad Lou and Conte really were all those years, we're paying for their incompetence now. Thank God for Shero.

Shero actually has a plan that seems to be working. And our team will continue to improve. It's encouraging. Lou was only adding useless pieces year after year.

16 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Look, if it's the way you wanna go about it it's fine. I actually really see progress this year, and I have no doubt Shero is going to improve this team this summer. I think Cory can come back to form. And a year of experience can do wonders for the young guys. We'll see I guess. 

Of course they've made progress from the dumpster fire of last year, impossible not to.  But what the heck kind of value does THIS kind of 'experience' have?  Actually finishing the deal and making the playoffs would have held a lot of value for Hall, for the younger players, the staff and the fanbase too, that's what makes this so frustrating.  I don't see any gain to be had if they don't make the playoffs, especially choking away a berth they had a good grip on practically all season.  I'm not so cynical as to say they should get a higher draft pick if they're not going to make it anyway but really it's basically the worst of both worlds, a mid-round pick without the playoff berth.

5 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

It's amazing how the Sharks are in the playoffs every year and seem to always have a talented roster  (at least compared to us).  It just goes to show how bad Lou and Conte really were all those years, we're paying for their incompetence now. Thank God for Shero.

Of course watch us lose to the Leafs to get knocked out the next to last game of the season just to rub it in even more while they're prancing off to the playoffs their second straight year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well, one of the major problems Cory is absolutely horrific out of the crease, horrible puck handler. Take a look at Pekka Rinne, he's like having an extra 1/2 defensman back there with his excellent puck handling skills with excellent Dmen in front of him. Devs still need 4 top 4 Dmen. Shero should start sending the offseason invites to beautiful downtown Newark asap.

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Of course they've made progress from the dumpster fire of last year, impossible not to.  But what the heck kind of value does THIS kind of 'experience' have?  Actually finishing the deal and making the playoffs would have held a lot of value for Hall and the younger players, that's what makes this so frustrating.  I don't see any gain to be had if they don't make the playoffs.  I'm not so cynical as to say they should get a higher draft pick if they're not going to make it anyway but really it's basically the worst of both worlds, a mid-round pick without the playoff berth.

Of course watch us lose to the Leafs to get knocked out the next to last game of the season just to rub it in even more while they're prancing off to the playoffs their second straight year.

No one thought we'd even be playing meaningful hockey right now. Fighting for a playoff birth and being in the middle of the race is meaningful in my opinion. If they come out short, it'll fvcking suck. But at least they will have had this experience of playing in meaningful games and maybe it'll be useful next season. Of course it's not the same as playing in the playoffs, but hell at least it's something to gain, no? I'm also not saying they won't make it. I'm confident until the very end. 

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

The way we are playing making the playoffs would represent a waste of time.  I would rather see a hungry Panthers team play Tampa in Round 1.  That may be mildly entertaining compared to our one trick pony show.

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Funny, Lou had his teams in the playoffs damned near every year for quite a while too...and lo and behold, his teams even won a few Cups!  Yes it got ugly at the end and it was absolutely time for he and Conte to go, but there were a hell of a lot of good Lou years.

• Like 2

That's another thing, people are getting karma up the butt now for complaining about Lou and acting like he was the ONLY problem with the organization and that it would be fixed with any GM after him.  And Shero's actually been fine so far but the problems aren't anywhere close to fixed.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HOLLYWOOD said:

Well, one of the major problems Cory is absolutely horrific out of the crease, horrible puck handler. Take a look at Pekka Rinne, he's like having an extra 1/2 defensman back there with his excellent puck handling skills with excellent Dmen in front of him. Devs still need 4 top 4 Dmen. Shero should start sending the offseason invites to beautiful downtown Newark asap.

I remember KK when he played @ Lowell in the AHL and how he could handle the puck.  In today's speed game in the league, that is essential.  MB30 was way ahead of everyone else in this exceptional ability to handle the puck.  (That stupid trapezoid has his name all over it!)  CS, like TH9, has to be held more accountable, especially on improving the weak parts in his game.  Until that happens, they have to sit CS for KK.  We have no other choice.  (CS, the 6-million dollar man, has a major crisis of confidence.  Baseball closers go through this, too.)  I do not have the answer to this.  Maybe Terreri comes back as goalie coach? What is the answer?  We need a stud starting goaltender.

RECAP

• Players and coaches need to understand the following.
    • It's more important to get to the puck than it is to protect the front of the net.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they allow teams to cycle the puck along the perimeter, and take long distance shots at will.
    • It's more important to get the puck out of the D-zone than it is to make a clean breakout.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try to maintain puck possession at all costs leading them to hang on to the puck which leads them into turning the puck over.
    • Conversely, it's more important to get the puck in the O-zone than it is to carry the puck.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try and make that one move or pass at the blue line which leads a guy offside or causes a turnover leading to a rush the other way.
    • You don't want the puck on a player's stick for a long time.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they hang on to the puck as long as possible allowing teams to easily strip the puck away.
    • You don't want to hesitate to take a shot when there's a lot of time and space for you to do so even if there's not a clear lane.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they always try to create a shooting lane by walking the line or skating around with the puck too much in fact the Devils are DEAD LAST in taking slap shots this season.
    • Simple and boring is always better.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try too hard to be creative, and it ends up wasting offensive zone pressure.
    • MOST IMPORTANTLY, THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND THEY STILL CONTROL THEIR OWN FATE, AND ARE STILL IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT.
  • Kinkaid is our number one starter from here on out.
    • Not exactly sure what happened to Cory, but he should be given the rest of the year off and recuperate.

GOALIE RECAP

• Goal 1: Tough break with the deflection.
  • Goal 2: No chance for Schneider, beautiful tip by Pavelski
  • Goal 3: Perfect shot by by Hansen
  • Goal 4: Absolute trash goal to allow
  • Goal 5: Bad goal, but coming cold probably had an effect
  • Goal 6: Who cares at this point?

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 52 to 58
  • ES FF: 37 to 37
  • ES SF: 21 to 22
  • ES SCF: 15 to 20
  • ES HDCF: 6 to 5
  • All CF: 62 to 64
  • All FF: 45 to 42
  • All SF: 28 to 25
  • All SCF: 20 to 25
  • All HDCF: 10 to 6

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

• CF: 47.41 to 62.29
  • FF: 34.49 to 39.2
  • SF: 19.64 to 23.29
  • SCF: 14.44 to 20.42
  • HDCF: 5.88 to 5.09
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny, Lou had his teams in the playoffs damned near every year for quite a while too...and lo and behold, his teams even won a few Cups!  Yes it got ugly at the end and it was absolutely time for he and Conte to go, but there were a hell of a lot of good Lou years.

I'm talking post lockout till a few years ago, which is close to 10 straight years of incompetence.  Yes, very grateful for the 90s but his ego and bad decision making along with Conte's terrible drafting are all I can think of right now since we're living in the present. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• Players and coaches need to understand the following.
    • It's more important to get to the puck than it is to protect the front of the net.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they allow teams to cycle the puck along the perimeter, and take long distance shots at will.
    • It's more important to get the puck out of the D-zone than it is to make a clean breakout.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try to maintain puck possession at all costs leading them to hang on to the puck which leads them into turning the puck over.
    • Conversely, it's more important to get the puck in the O-zone than it is to carry the puck.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try and make that one move or pass at the blue line which leads a guy offside or causes a turnover leading to a rush the other way.
    • You don't want the puck on a player's stick for a long time.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they hang on to the puck as long as possible allowing teams to easily strip the puck away.
    • You don't want to hesitate to take a shot when there's a lot of time and space for you to do so even if there's not a clear lane.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they always try to create a shooting lane by walking the line or skating around with the puck too much in fact the Devils are DEAD LAST in taking slap shots this season.
    • Simple and boring is always better.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try too hard to be creative, and it ends up wasting offensive zone pressure.
    • MOST IMPORTANTLY, THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND THEY STILL CONTROL THEIR OWN FATE, AND ARE STILL IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT.
  • Kinkaid is our number one starter from here on out.
    • Not exactly sure what happened to Cory, but he should be given the rest of the year off and recuperate.

GOALIE RECAP

• Goal 1: Tough break with the deflection.
  • Goal 2: No chance for Schneider, beautiful tip by Pavelski
  • Goal 3: Perfect shot by by Hansen
  • Goal 4: Absolute trash goal to allow
  • Goal 5: Bad goal, but coming cold probably had an effect
  • Goal 6: Who cares at this point?

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 52 to 58
  • ES FF: 37 to 37
  • ES SF: 21 to 22
  • ES SCF: 15 to 20
  • ES HDCF: 6 to 5
  • All CF: 62 to 64
  • All FF: 45 to 42
  • All SF: 28 to 25
  • All SCF: 20 to 25
  • All HDCF: 10 to 6

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

• CF: 47.41 to 62.29
  • FF: 34.49 to 39.2
  • SF: 19.64 to 23.29
  • SCF: 14.44 to 20.42
  • HDCF: 5.88 to 5.09

At his point i’m willing to let Mike Brown coach the team for the rest of the year, just to see if he’s right. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Don't be a jackass, Pavelski 3 inches in front of you, while the nearest Devils defenseman is 10 feet away, and getting a tip on a nice shot, that's going to go in most of the time.

Cory is sucking right now, but we don't need to exaggerate it for dramatic effect. The defensive effort this 1st period has been one of our worst all season, and Cory doesn't look good; both things can be and are true.

Wrong. Any goalie will tell you if there is a deflector in front you have to get close as possible to them so the puck will minimize  change of direction and still hit him. Cory is sitting in the back of the net. When goalies lack confidence, they retreat into the net.

• Like 1

Anyone with hope Cory can bounce back, good luck with that. Last year he was nothing better than average. We need to go back 2 years now to find the last season Cory was dominant.

Dude, I'd take 'average' from him right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goal 2 hit the inside of the post and went in.  Even if Schneider is right next to Pavelski he isn't getting that one.   I don't think he was particularly deep in the net for that one either, he was out challenging the shooter.

That said, Schneider looked worse than he has during this whole stretch last night.  I hope it was just that the first goal threw his fragile confidence, but I'm not sure why he's doing some of the things he's doing.  He missed that Pavelski backhand by a foot and was lucky it hit the post.  I'm not sure they can put him in again this season but I also don't think they have a choice - he will have to start at least 2 more games, I think, unless they think he's hurt and they shut him down.

2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

I'm talking post lockout till a few years ago, which is close to 10 straight years of incompetence.  Yes, very grateful for the 90s but his ego and bad decision making along with Conte's terrible drafting are all I can think of right now since we're living in the present. 

Agreed.   Brodeur's regular seasons post lockout and Elias single handedly creating a legitimate second line for a few years there covered up a lot of managements sins.  it will be interesting to see what Lou does in Toronto because you already see a little bit of him gravitating to veterans.   I understand there are some long term cap implications but if it ultimately turns out that they are going with an over the hill Marleau over JVR, that will be a total head-scratcher.

Anyway, I'm very happy with where Shero has this going.   Sure, it will be frustrating if we don't make the playoffs this year but we are so far ahead of where we should be at this point in the rebuild, it's hard to complain.  While some of these teams are out there tanking year after year,  Shero is adding player after player through smart trades (Vatanen, Hall, Palmieri, MoJo) and the drafting so far seems pretty good.   We're also set up well to make a big play for an Erik Karlsson or John Tavares this summer.    

As for the game last night, I turned it off and went to bed after the 4th goal.    

8 hours ago, '7' said:

I can't defend these clowns really, but 9 points is not as fat as it seems. It's just 4 1/2 games if this was baseball. Still it shrunk to nothing awfully quickly because nobody we needed to lose actually lost. I don't see a way Florida doesn't pass us at this point. They are a dead team skating

Eh it’s not quite the same cause of the loser point. 4.5 games in the NHL is basically 6-7 in another sport since it’s theoretically harder to make up games outright, and it was 4.5 with 19 to play. Of course we haven’t exactly taken ‘advantage’ of the loser point ourselves since blowing that game in Brooklyn in early January it’s either been all (2) or nothing (0) so in our case it’s actually hastened the demise...

Edited by NJDevs4978