GDT: Devils @ Pitt - 23 Mar - 7p Eastern

jagknife

8 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

LGD, might be getting some reinforcements tonight with Zacha coming back. Like him or not, getting him back strengthens our team down the middle, so crucial down the stretch to have good centers. Just win boys.

Is it confirmed that he's back?  As we all know, he has still left a lot to be desired this year in terms of production, but he's still young, and in all honesty, I would be ecstatic if he's back tonight.  I feel like anytime any guy comes back from injury, it gives the rest of the team an energy boost.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Is it confirmed that he's back?  As we all know, he has still left a lot to be desired this year in terms of production, but he's still young, and in all honesty, I would be ecstatic if he's back tonight.  I feel like anytime any guy comes back from injury, it gives the rest of the team an energy boost.

Skated yesterday with the team yesterday for a full practice but we'll get a better idea at the morning skate later today. Production hasn't come for him the way we've wanted this year but before his injury he was showing, at least to me, he can be a legitimate 2nd line center someday. You see the things you want out of him – hockey sense, playmaking ability, vision, strength on the puck – it's just a matter of getting the pucks to go in for him.

Also on the topic of injuries, Miles Wood skated briefly yesterday but didn't take part in full practice like Zacha did, so likely another game out for Wood.

45 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Personally i don't think Zacha is terrible. He's been playing badly earlier to the point he was directly hurting the team. But lately he was making good plays and helping pushing the play forward i find. He was just not finding the net often. And again it's important to understand that he's playing in the NHL at 20 years old. Many very very very good NHL players are the moment weren't in the NHL at 20. So there's certainly room for improvement 

I always go back to Kucherov. at 20 he was playing his first NHL season and had 18 pts in 52 games. And Zacha has 19 pts in 60 right now.

That's obviously not suggesting that Zacha will be the next Kucherov. It's only saying that we have to be patient.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Personally i don't think Zacha is terrible. He's been playing badly earlier to the point he was directly hurting the team. But lately he was making good plays and helping pushing the play forward i find. He was just not finding the net often. And again it's important to understand that he's playing in the NHL at 20 years old. Many very very very good NHL players are the moment weren't in the NHL at 20. So there's certainly room for improvement 

I always go back to Kucherov. at 20 he was playing his first NHL season and had 18 pts in 52 games. And Zacha has 19 pts in 60 right now.

That's obviously not suggesting that Zacha will be the next Kucherov. It's only saying that we have to be patient.

This is exactly how I feel, it's easy to kick and scream about some of the guys taken after him, but we gotta be patient because development isn't a linear process and it's not the same for every player. It took Ryan Getzlaf three years after his draft year to start making a meaningful impact for the Ducks, not every 1st round pick is going to be a superstar after a year of development. I like the kid a lot and see the skill set of a great player, just gotta be patient with him.

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

This is exactly how I feel, it's easy to kick and scream about some of the guys taken after him, but we gotta be patient because development isn't a linear process and it's not the same for every player. It took Ryan Getzlaf three years after his draft year to start making a meaningful impact for the Ducks, not every 1st round pick is going to be a superstar after a year of development. I like the kid a lot and see the skill set of a great player, just gotta be patient with him.

And that's the thing to keep in mind... some guys were "good enough" to actually make the team at 20... while some other players got cut from the team and went back to juniors or wtv... and later had an impact. So Zacha "could" be ahead of the curve here. 

Devils have gone 3-3 so far over a very tough 8-game stretch.  Two games left.  I was hoping for 8-10 points.  The Devils can still do that, but it really feels like they need three or four this weekend.  Two tonight would be lovely.  Then two days off, then a glut of games to finish out the season (including another back-to-back, against the Isles and Canadiens...gotta get 3 at the very least in those two).

LGD!

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightning would score 12 on Schneider if they start him Saturday

Encouraging news on Wood. Thought his arm was broken when it happened

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Yup, agreed.  Zacha to me still has a decent amount of rope left on his leash.

Yeah I hope TBD is a nice way of saying if Keith can physically skate off the ice Friday he’s playing Saturday (and if he can’t bring up Lack on recall and start him). You can’t send Cory out there, on-ice aside it’s a high risk the fans really turn on him at this point.

Edited by NJDevs4978