Lou out at Toronto Named Dir Hockey for Isles

mikemarc1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes sense for a lot of reasons.  The guy can stick around in the hockey world in a limited capacity that A) probably makes him feel good and important and B ) might actually even provide some benefit to the Isles with little to no risk.  On top of that, he probably still has a home somewhere around the NJ/NY area I'm sure.  And of course there's the fact that his son is still in the organization too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It makes sense for a lot of reasons.  The guy can stick around in the hockey world in a limited capacity that A) probably makes him feel good and important and B ) might actually even provide some benefit to the Isles with little to no risk.  On top of that, he probably still has a home somewhere around the NJ/NY area I'm sure.  And of course there's the fact that his son is still in the organization too.  

On the other hand, there is the issue of what it would do for his legacy.  He would be coming into a very strange situation where the team's best player could very well bolt to another team without compensation shortly after or before he gets there.  If that happens, it's doubtful that the Isles are back to being a playoff team by the time he's finished.

It's looking a lot like what happened to Parcells towards the end of his football career. 

• Like 1

Man sometimes the greats just don't know when to step aside.. GM's included.  Lou's like 80 and probably worth millions by now.. just retire and enjoy time with your family.

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

Cold motherfvcker :lol:

Edited by Devilsfan118

Lou going to the Islanders would be hilarious. He did wonders for us, absolutely no question, he needs to be immortalized with a statue and/or his place in the ring of honor next to McMullen.

His prowess as a GM in the new NHL, however, is abysmal.

Good luck, Isles.... yikes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Lou going to the Islanders would be hilarious. He did wonders for us, absolutely no question, he needs to be immortalized with a statue and/or his place in the ring of honor next to McMullen.

His prowess as a GM in the new NHL, however, is abysmal.

Good luck, Isles.... yikes

Lou did a pretty good job for the Leafs, he oversaw that rebuild really well and got them a fistful of draft picks which helped them transition into the contender they are now. One of his biggest contributions was the Andersen trade which looks great for Toronto right now IMO

12 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Lou did a pretty good job for the Leafs, he oversaw that rebuild really well and got them a fistful of draft picks which helped them transition into the contender they are now. One of his biggest contributions was the Andersen trade which looks great for Toronto right now IMO

The Andersen deal was his best, but restocking the cupboards was helped greatly by drafting top 5 back to back seasons and one of this being a can’t miss number 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

The Andersen deal was his best, but restocking the cupboards was helped greatly by drafting top 5 back to back seasons and one of this being a can’t miss number 1

Yes it was. And guaranteed. It will be a crucial move for Lou.  if he goes forward. He's not a ! and 1A type a guy. He wants a number one goalie. Goaltending on the Island was abysmal this past year. He will trade for if needed, a No.1 guy. Who knows, it might be one of hte reasons JT is reluctant to sign? (total distrust of Garth on that issue)

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 9:39 AM, Daniel said:

On the other hand, there is the issue of what it would do for his legacy.  He would be coming into a very strange situation where the team's best player could very well bolt to another team without compensation shortly after or before he gets there.  If that happens, it's doubtful that the Isles are back to being a playoff team by the time he's finished.

It's looking a lot like what happened to Parcells towards the end of his football career. 

The JT situation is probably a big reason they're begging Lou to come on.  They need a respected leader to entice him to stay with that dumpster fire.

Why Lou would go there is obvious (besides the whole competitive juices thing) - location closer to home and they're hoarding Chris in the organization, like the Ducks hoarded Rob to eventually get Scott.

6 hours ago, jagknife said:

Lou's always been a pretty good trader - even in the period of time where Devil fans were ragging on him the only truly horrendous trade he made was Tuomo Ruutu, and even that was a only 3rd rounder way down the line.  But yeah the tankathon in his first year was the Shanaplan and they already had other young talent in the organization.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jagknife said:

There was a little more than just getting those top 5 picks, the sheer number of 2nd rounders they accumulated help them stock up as well and gave them currency to trade with. Grundstrom, Dermott, Korshkov, Brooks, those are just a few that they drafted after the 1st round that still has them with one of the better prospect pools in the league. Granted this is in part to Mark Hunter’s scouting, but I can’t pick out many mistakes Lou made in Toronto. Signing Zaitsev to a 7 year deal might be the only one I can think of.

10 hours ago, jagknife said:

I think his biggest contribution to the Leafs was just bringing a level a professionalism to an organization that was an absolute circus before the current group got there.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

There was a little more than just getting those top 5 picks, the sheer number of 2nd rounders they accumulated help them stock up as well and gave them currency to trade with. Grundstrom, Dermott, Korshkov, Brooks, those are just a few that they drafted after the 1st round that still has them with one of the better prospect pools in the league. Granted this is in part to Mark Hunter’s scouting

Dubas ran the '15 draft IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Isles Owners: "So JT, we heard that you were having second thoughts about staying because you are uncomfortable with the direction of the franchise.  Is that right?"

JT: "Yeah I mean I don't have much help these days.  The free agent signings haven't been great, player development has stalled and the draft has been iffy as well."

IO "Well don't worry JT!  We have brought in a new guy to head our hockey operations and will put us on the right path!"

JT: "Wow really?!  That's awesome!  I really hope he can make some aggressive trades for young, hungry players and has an eye for drafting over the past decade and doesn't need to resort to tired, old retreads and over the hill veterans!  I also hope he likes to have fun and allows me to show off my personality as I love to mix and mingle with the fans!"

*Lou walks into the room*

JT: "NNNNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!"

*JT grabs his chair, breaks the nearest window, jumps out and runs down the street screaming*

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Haha 2

Isles Owners: "So JT, we heard that you were having second thoughts about staying because you are uncomfortable with the direction of the franchise.  Is that right?"
JT: "Yeah I mean I don't have much help these days.  The free agent signings haven't been great, player development has stalled and the draft has been iffy as well."
IO "Well don't worry JT!  We have brought in a new guy to head our hockey operations and will put us on the right path!"
JT: "Wow really?!  That's awesome!  I really hope he can make some aggressive trades for young, hungry players and has an eye for drafting over the past decade and doesn't need to resort to tired, old retreads and over the hill veterans!  I also hope he likes to have fun and allows me to show off my personality as I love to mix and mingle with the fans!"
*Lou walks into the room*
JT: "NNNNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!"
*JT grabs his chair, breaks the nearest window, jumps out and runs down the street screaming*

Lou is someone who’s still very respected in hockey circles. The perception of him is very different outside of us Devils fans, particularly to players. I highly doubt Tavares leaves now.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Lou is someone who’s still very respected in hockey circles. The perception of him is very different outside of us Devils fans, particularly to players. I highly doubt Tavares leaves now.

He may be, but is he the guy you can pin your hopes on for delivering a cup to a team that has been on a rocky path the last few years and took a step back this year?  While they do have JT until July 1st, there is no Matthews-type player waiting for them to be drafted anytime soon.

• Like 1

He may be, but is he the guy you can pin your hopes on for delivering a cup to a team that has been on a rocky path the last few years and took a step back this year?  While they do have JT until July 1st, there is no Matthews-type player waiting for them to be drafted anytime soon.

I have the highest respect for Lou and the cups he brought here but the post lock out Lou is nowhere nearly as good.  He'll bring structure, short hair, suit jackets etc.  If I was an Islanders fan I would have zero faith he brings much else other than his last name isn't Snow.  I would also be equally as concerned if not even more so that Chris would now appear to be next in line and that's just a dagger hanging over head for them now.

• Like 1