Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Saw that coming a mile away.  I guess he played well enough to earn the next start.  Has Blackwood even been called back up? If he hasn't then I guess it's a no-brainer.  

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yakovlev still won't get to play lol. 

Haha.   

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Coming off a Cup run in 2012 where we were 2 games away from winning it all, no matter how improbable it was or how many people think it was a fluke looking back on it, no one was going to go into the next year, or even 2014 for that matter, thinking and saying "Yep, the Devils should just tank".  The cupboards were a little bare back then, and certainly got worse over the next few years after that, but you don't immediately turn around after makin the Cup finals and blow it all up.  You try to build on it and get over the hump the following year.  It takes a few years of poor play and losing seasons before you can finally say "Yeah, it's time to enter rebuild mode now" and start making moves to start over by means of tanking. 

I mean first off, it was totally a fluke.

But Parise and Clarkson leaving should've seriously started the discussion of a rebuild.  Kovalchuk then leaving the NHL should've been the final straw.

We grabbed no one of significance in some very good drafts between 2012 and 2016 thanks to a refusal to outright rebuild/tank.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Again, there's a difference between tanked and sucked. We haven't tanked. 

Right, and we should have tanked because the roster was fvcking trash.  

And because we didn't just go all-in, we're sitting here in 2019 talking about the merits of tanking instead of the playoffs.

But anyway - I don't want to commandeer this whole thread with tank talk...

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Vats out with concussion per AS.  No timetable for his return.

...because this team is going to suck ass without 'trying' to tank lol

But second concussion in less than a calendar year for Vats.. not good.  Really not good.

Edited by Devilsfan118

35 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

But second concussion in less than a calendar year for Vats.. not good.  Really not good.

I completely forgot about the one at the end of last year.  Man, between him and MoJo, some of our supposed-to-have-been-really-good players have had a tough time staying healthy and being as good as expected. :(

52 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean first off, it was totally a fluke.

But Parise and Clarkson leaving should've seriously started the discussion of a rebuild.  Kovalchuk then leaving the NHL should've been the final straw.

We grabbed no one of significance in some very good drafts between 2012 and 2016 thanks to a refusal to outright rebuild/tank.

Right, and we should have tanked because the roster was fvcking trash.  

And because we didn't just go all-in, we're sitting here in 2019 talking about the merits of tanking instead of the playoffs.

But anyway - I don't want to commandeer this whole thread with tank talk...

...because this team is going to suck ass without 'trying' to tank lol

Bingo on the bolded.  Instead of rebuilding we signed instead stop-gaps like Jagr an injury-plagued Clowe and Cammy and guys who just didn't work out like Ryder and Brunner.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

27 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Bingo on the bolded.  Instead of rebuilding we signed instead stop-gaps like Jagr an injury-plagued Clowe and Cammy and guys who just didn't work out like Ryder and Brunner.

I'm happy about the Jagr signing just to be a team included in the meme that was all the teams he played for. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Obviously...he doesn't speak English well enough to hockey in North America.

I cannot fvcking believe in 2019, this was a legit excuse by someone occupying a head coaching position in the NHL.

Could you imagine if this was said about say a Latin player in the MLB?

9 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I cannot fvcking believe in 2019, this was a legit excuse by someone occupying a head coaching position in the NHL.

Could you imagine if this was said about say a Latin player in the MLB?

That manager would be fired by the end of the day. 

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I never liked Jagr and I hated that I had to root for the guy for a few seasons. Pissed me off even more the guy wouldn't even take the damn shootouts unless they went a bunch of rounds. 

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Whoa, Hynes really said this? Or someone else? I totally missed that if it happened. 

Give me a few minutes to find the quote from this weekend or Monday

EDIT: of course I can’t find it now, still looking though 

Edited by jagknife

46 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Give me a few minutes to find the quote from this weekend or Monday

EDIT: of course I can’t find it now, still looking though 

I believe ya, I just cant believe he actually said it. That's fvcking absurd. The Red Bulls have guys who still don't speak English that well but they all still play and they bring in translators to help and the other guys on the team translate as well. 

What a sh!t excuse. 

• Like 1

@Satans Hockey the only reference now that I can find to Hynes and saying Yakovlev’s English comprehension being a problem is from late November saying its difficult. I have no clue where the other quote is but once it was said in here I immediately though “oh sh!t he really did say that, i didn’t make it up”

November:

EDIT: nice timing with your reply too haha

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jagknife said:

Yeah, that's what my gut feeling is, I think we're getting someone towards the draft because another team wants a specific player outside of the top 5. I know nothing about this draft class, just like last year, guess I'll start doing a little research when I'm up at the insane hours to feed the boys.

I think something that could happen is the Devils first rounder (assuming it’s outside the top five) for Dougie Hamilton.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think something that could happen is the Devils first rounder (assuming it’s outside the top five) for Dougie Hamilton.

I think Hamilton is a really good player but teams don't seem to want to keep him for very long. Three seasons with Boston, three with Calgary and one with Carolina so far.

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

I think Hamilton is a really good player but teams don't seem to want to keep him for very long. Three seasons with Boston, three with Calgary and one with Carolina so far.

Cap constraints is what really ended his tenure in Boston, but just a quick search of quotes from last summer’s trade with the Flames and Canes, he seems to have a contention with losing, almost as though his bosses feel he’s accepting of it. The article I found from sportsnet also stated it was Hamilton’s non-playing side that forced them to add Ferlund in order to sweeten the pot.

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

Cap constraints is what really ended his tenure in Boston, but just a quick search of quotes from last summer’s trade with the Flames and Canes, he seems to have a contention with losing, almost as though his bosses feel he’s accepting of it. The article I found from sportsnet also stated it was Hamilton’s non-playing side that forced them to add Ferlund in order to sweeten the pot.

Probably not the sort of player we need then. Which is a shame as I really do think he's a good player.

14 hours ago, jagknife said:

@Satans Hockey the only reference now that I can find to Hynes and saying Yakovlev’s English comprehension being a problem is from late November saying its difficult. I have no clue where the other quote is but once it was said in here I immediately though “oh sh!t he really did say that, i didn’t make it up”

November:

EDIT: nice timing with your reply too haha

I can completely understand that there are challenges when a person doesn't know the language and you're trying to convey complicated things with. If Yak was playing like sh!t and obviously didn't understand wtf was going on with respect to "the system", then yea he needs more work and maybe they need someone with language skills to come in and help coaches. He's played really well though, so I don't get it. He isn't going to learn how to communicate with his partner on the ice better by being down in Bing either.

• Like 2