2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

3 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

poor johnny, of all the teams he had to start against LOL.. the Bruins love beating him down...at least he gets his first practice today to fix EVERYTHING

“Ok defensemen. I want you watching the other team skate around the zone. If you get the puck, make sure you keep it in the defensive zone. Pass it to the middle, throw it into the corner and then let the other team take it. Whatever you do, don't clear it out. 

Now forwards. I know you have this feeling that you should make good plays and score goals. Instead, I want lazy, low-quality shots from the outside. Or drop passes to no one. 

Goalies, just keep not doing whatever you're not doing."

• Haha 2

Good for Rinne.  Always like him.  Thinking about Lundqvist last night seeing him on the bench (an awesome sight), it made me realize that he's probably going to end his career without a Cup (another awesome thing), and it seems like Rinne might be in that category too.  Great goalies, very consistent, but never able to win the big prize.  I feel bad for Rinne, not at all for Lundqvist.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Good for Rinne.  Always like him.  Thinking about Lundqvist last night seeing him on the bench (an awesome sight), it made me realize that he's probably going to end his career without a Cup (another awesome thing), and it seems like Rinne might be in that category too.  Great goalies, very consistent, but never able to win the big prize.  I feel bad for Rinne, not at all for Lundqvist.

I gotta imagine if Lundqvist wants a shot at a cup next year, the Rangers would accommodate a trade to a contender while eating some of that final season. Both of those goalie prospects have potential, which blows, but I wonder if he’ll pull a Marty and go else where for one more shot or just hang em up

48 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I gotta imagine if Lundqvist wants a shot at a cup next year, the Rangers would accommodate a trade to a contender while eating some of that final season. Both of those goalie prospects have potential, which blows, but I wonder if he’ll pull a Marty and go else where for one more shot or just hang em up

Yeah, I think that's probably true.  I always wonder though, that any team that's considered a contender, usually already has a pretty strong goalie (sometimes two), so what kind of use would they have for an aging goalie?  Keep him as a backup if they don't have a good one?  I guess the point is just to get a ring, regardless of your role, but I can't imagine Lundqvist wants to go to a contender just to get a ring while sitting on the bench.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Rangers want to move the Queen, but he doesn't want to go anywhere and has a full NMC.  If he went to them and agreed to waive, the Rags would move him in a second in order to keep Shestorykin (sp) and Georgiev as their cheap goaltending tandem for the next several years.  Rumor is that they brought the kid up to play recently in order to avoid having him go back to the KHL as he wasn't happy playing in Hartford. 

Rags are in a tough, but enviable, spot with their net situation right now.  My hope is that the Queen refuses to move and plays out the remainder of his contract forcing them to trade Georgiev. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Rangers want to move the Queen, but he doesn't want to go anywhere and has a full NMC.  If he went to them and agreed to waive, the Rags would move him in a second in order to keep Shestorykin (sp) and Georgiev as their cheap goaltending tandem for the next several years.  Rumor is that they brought the kid up to play recently in order to avoid having him go back to the KHL as he wasn't happy playing in Hartford. 

Rags are in a tough, but enviable, spot with their net situation right now.  My hope is that the Queen refuses to move and plays out the remainder of his contract forcing them to trade Georgiev. 

Is that true though? Wouldn't one of them have to be exposed in the expansion draft? One of them might be ideal for Seattle because of the low cost. Whatever they choose to do I hope it backfires - obviously.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Rinne has just 2 goals less than Zacha

Almost has the best job out of anyone. Former 6th pick (so no fear of being cut), chill out on the bottom 6 and take it easy...playing hard occasionally (which wows his supporters), fill a need on the team without killing himself and putting him in good standing with the coaches and his supporters (PK), all while having no urgency to score a lot of goals since he's playing on one of the worst teams in the league in terms of scoring.

He's got it made.