Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

If the Devils plan on re-signing Hall, this is probably the last season LTIRing Cory is going to be doable - they could do it as long as they don't plan on replacing him with player of a value somewhere around the same as Cory's, which is unlikely mid-season anyway. But if the Devils re-sign Hall, plus make other additions this offseason that bring them closer to the ceiling, LTIRing Cory, as Triumph was saying, will become a dangerous thing to do in future seasons given Jack's contract. Obviously, if Cory gets injured, they will do it - but don't necessarily expect another 6M AAV goalie to be coming in in his stead.

5 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I wonder if they want to carry three goalies.

So I have this chronic condition where one of the wonderful side effects is that my eyes blur.  So as I read, too quickly, what you wrote I read it as:

”I wonder if they want to carry three genitals.”

I dunno, but that sounds like a party to me.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Too early!??!  No, I said next year , this upcoming offseason.. you can wait for this mystical comeback.. along with the great pumpkin... ain't happening... I'm buying him out

We don’t heed buying out him because he will going to ltir and yes I would wait for  this comeback because I’m Hachiko - first njdevs.com dog on board.

Edited by Guadana

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

How is it not reasonable when literally every other way he (and others) suggested were potential outcomes you shot down and said would be impossible?

I never said anything about a buyout, which is the most likely way he will leave the organization at this point.

9 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I never said anything about a buyout, which is the most likely way he will leave the organization at this point.

I suppose.  He has what, 3 years left?  I think he hangs around for the duration of it.  Right now he's essentially still a 50/50 starter with Blackwood, and honestly, if he wasn't sucking as bad as he is, he'd get the lion's share of the starts because he's the 'proven' veteran with more experience.  And it could still change to that if Blackwood stinks up the join with this opportunity he's been given lately, but even if that doesn't happen, I still see Cory shifting to a backup role and staying part of the team as opposed to a buy-out, forced retirement, or what have you.  

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I suppose.  He has what, 3 years left?  I think he hangs around for the duration of it.  Right now he's essentially still a 50/50 starter with Blackwood, and honestly, if he wasn't sucking as bad as he is, he'd get the lion's share of the starts because he's the 'proven' veteran with more experience.  And it could still change to that if Blackwood stinks up the join with this opportunity he's been given lately, but even if that doesn't happen, I still see Cory shifting to a backup role and staying part of the team as opposed to a buy-out, forced retirement, or what have you.  

He's started 1 of the last 6 games.  He's not a 50/50 starter anymore.

The Devils are not going to pay Cory Schneider $6M to be a backup.

Just now, Triumph said:

He's started 1 of the last 6 games.  He's not a 50/50 starter anymore.

The Devils are not going to pay Cory Schneider $6M to be a backup.

unless blackwood really takes the ball and runs with it, i would expect that cory gets a chance to get the other side of that split.

if by the end of the season, cory has played 25 games and shows no signs of being any good, a buyout really is the only logical choice.

the ONLY reason that they would keep this same pair next year assuming that blackwood proves an average starter and cory is semi-playable is so they can expose cory to seattle expansion draft.

4 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

unless blackwood really takes the ball and runs with it, i would expect that cory gets a chance to get the other side of that split.

if by the end of the season, cory has played 25 games and shows no signs of being any good, a buyout really is the only logical choice.

the ONLY reason that they would keep this same pair next year assuming that blackwood proves an average starter and cory is semi-playable is so they can expose cory to seattle expansion draft.

If Blackwood stumbles, Cory will get his chance again, but I don't expect him to get the other side of that split until he starts playing well.

The expansion draft should not be a concern at all.  You don't even need to expose a goalie under contract.  Trade for an impending UFA or some minor leaguer who fulfills the expansion mandate.

Buying out Cory at the end of this year would only cost the Devils a 2M cap hit over the next four years (two of those years of which would have had Cory's 6M cap hit had he still been on the team) So that's two years you have to deal with a 2M cap hit for - not unreasonable.

It all depends on the moves the Devils make this summer as to whether buying Cory out makes sense. Did they re-sign Taylor Hall? Are there players they want to sign and take advantage of the immediate cap savings over the next two years? Then again, if he continues to be this bad, maybe it's not even worth paying him 100% of the remaining value of his contract in any case.

Just now, Triumph said:

If Blackwood stumbles, Cory will get his chance again, but I don't expect him to get the other side of that split until he starts playing well.

that's my point though - i think cory will play well enough for a stretch at some point that he gets 4 of 6 starts. i have a feeling the end season split is going to be like 48-34 blackwood.

6 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

that's my point though - i think cory will play well enough for a stretch at some point that he gets 4 of 6 starts. i have a feeling the end season split is going to be like 48-34 blackwood.

Almost no way Cory makes it through the season healthy - he's been hurt in each of the last 3 seasons and he was injured in game 1 of this season.  I'm not saying it's Blackwood's net forever, but Cory is near unplayable right now.

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Almost no way Cory makes it through the season healthy - he's been hurt in each of the last 3 seasons and he was injured in game 1 of this season.  I'm not saying it's Blackwood's net forever, but Cory is near unplayable right now.

i agree that he's been dogsh!t but my greater point is that i don't have enough faith in blackwood to hold down the net enough to where cory gets a start and plays well enough that they go back to him and he strings a couple games of good enough play that they see what they have.

17 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Buying out Cory at the end of this year would only cost the Devils a 2M cap hit over the next four years (two of those years of which would have had Cory's 6M cap hit had he still been on the team) So that's two years you have to deal with a 2M cap hit for - not unreasonable.

It all depends on the moves the Devils make this summer as to whether buying Cory out makes sense. Did they re-sign Taylor Hall? Are there players they want to sign and take advantage of the immediate cap savings over the next two years? Then again, if he continues to be this bad, maybe it's not even worth paying him 100% of the remaining value of his contract in any case.

disagree, the devils need to upgrade their starting goalie position asap.. waiting for cory to turn it around at this point is irresponsible.. heck, it might cost you resigning hall.. taylor knows dam well you arent winning a cup in the next two years with blackwood and Schneider 

1 hour ago, nessus said:

Zacha-Hughes-Gusev could get ugly. Hopefully Hynes keeps the top line as it was last game.

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

If Zacha-Hughes-Gusev is the line, that's a mistake. 

I get the thinking that Zacha-Hischier-Gusev could work as it worked for Bratt. That is what they should go with if Gusev must play. But, Bratt is better than Gusev. 

i would very much expect that it is hughes with palmieri and hall only and nico gets extra shifts on the top line depending on game situations.

• Like 1

I had a listen to the Devils Official Podcast with Laughlin and Stein and they spoke with Bratt.  Matt asked him about getting scratched and sitting with Elias in the press box, specifically what parts of his game the staff wanted him to work on and Jesper said it was his offensiveness.  Holding on to the puck more, taking it to the net.  Thought that was interesting so I figured I would share.  I never listen to these particular podcasts from the team but I did enjoy this one.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I had a listen to the Devils Official Podcast with Laughlin and Stein and they spoke with Bratt.  Matt asked him about getting scratched and sitting with Elias in the press box, specifically what parts of his game the staff wanted him to work on and Jesper said it was his offensiveness.  Holding on to the puck more, taking it to the net.  Thought that was interesting so I figured I would share.  I never listen to these particular podcasts from the team but I did enjoy this one.

If he wants to learn offensiveness he should hang out on NJDevs, we’ll learn him. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Mike Brown offers up contradictory bullet-points, mfitz interrupts him to make a weiner joke, SD tells him that he isn't racist he just thinks PK should use a different water fountain, Neb00rs flies in out of nowhere screaming that Gusev is terrible at defense, MB3 starts yelling at SD, RWTD asks MB3 why he's being an idiot and chirping SD, Nicomo starts giving actual constructive criticism but is quickly interrupted by a well-timed meme from mfitz which elicits a Ray Liotta laugh meme from Mad Dog. CR asks Nicomo to continue his actual constructive criticism but that's again quickly shut down when Daniel shows up and tells Jesper it all doesn't matter, the ownership doesn't care about winning anyway

Too accurate - even down to that I am not even mentioned because no one knows who I am anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2