GDT: Coyotes vs. Devils 7PM

Devils01

25 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hard to pin this one on coaching, but I still think he needs to go.  He's not made them mentally tough enough.  Most of the game falls on Blackwood - not all goals were his fault, but the team did a pretty good job limiting the chances against him.  

Two of the four he let in were total defensive breakdowns, one to one of the best short handed guys in the league on a breakaway, and then that absolutely awful play by PK resulting in goal #4. The mere fact that they limited the shots well doesn’t mean that they didn’t totally hang Blackwood out to dry on multiple occasions. 

But it’s not hard to pin this one on coaching at all. 

Should’ve played the guy who didn’t have the flu all week, I mean, did Hynes not know that?

And what the fvck was the 4th line doing out so much in the 3rd?

Gusev can go the fvck back to Russia, he sucks at 90% of hockey. 

Ponderous. 

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

Three duds:

1. Subban turns the puck over a damn ton. Turns up easy plays to make high risk ones. 

2. Is Nico planning to contribute offensively at all? You’re a number one overall pick who just got a sweet contract. Can you drive offense once in a god damn while?!

3. Blackwood. What a waste of a great team performance. Make a friggin key save just once.

Honorable mention: Hynes for benching Bratt for the absolutely useless Hayden.

I'd TRULY love to say i didn't warn you guys about this.

Mishandling pucks and sh!t like that will happen, thats fine. But it's when he's passing over making a simple safe play to do something flashy instead and fvck it up that it's infuriating. And he does that allllllllllllllll the time. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'd TRULY love to say i didn't warn you guys about this.

Mishandling pucks and sh!t like that will happen, thats fine. But it's when he's passing over making a simple safe play to do something flashy instead and fvck it up that it's infuriating. And he does that allllllllllllllll the time. 

He also seems to turn the wrong way a lot, like into the defender instead of away. And, he may have the most blockable slap shot I’ve ever seen, because he telegraphs the fvck our of it. Waits like 2 seconds and does everything except yell out “here it comes, get ready!”. 

But he wears cool hats. 

19 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Nico's first game back in a while, and yes he was rusty, but all of a sudden he is a weak 1st overall and has been  carried by Hall? 

This game was lost because we didn't get any goaltending.

Would you disagree? We always knew this. Rank say the last 20 first overall picks and chances are he'll be at the bottom just above RNH, Dipietro, Johnson and Yakupov.

It's not a knock on him but he's certainly not a Crosby, McDavid, Matthews, Kane etc etc

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Would you disagree? We always knew this. Rank say the last 20 first overall picks and chances are he'll be at the bottom just above RNH, Dipietro, Johnson and Yakupov.

It's not a knock on him but he's certainly not a Crosby, McDavid, Matthews, Kane etc etc

I agree, he’s a weak 1st compared to other years’ firsts, and everyone knew that going in. At the time, people complained that we won the lottery and it was in a crap draft year. 

I don’t consider it a bad pick, but I bet if you look at the 5 years before Nico was drafted, there’s at least one year he wouldn’t be top 5 if you did a “re-draft”. 2013. 20-5 and 2016 all come to mind. 

That said, I still think he’s a solid player and of course, he’s still developing into what he will be. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He also seems to turn the wrong way a lot, like into the defender instead of away. And, he may have the most blockable slap shot I’ve ever seen, because he telegraphs the fvck our of it. Waits like 2 seconds and does everything except yell out “here it comes, get ready!”. 

But he wears cool hats. 

Trust me give it a few months, once the excitement from the trade and the honey moon has wore off... a lot more of you guys will agree a bit more about this guy lol and you'll find that a 9m price tag for what he's bringing is pretty damn stiff. He's a great offensive Dman but that's it.

Him winning a Norris was a real joke... shortened season, didn't play a single game against a West team, didnt play on the PK at all that year, was never on the ice late in game to protect leads, he was sheltered and was never put out there on defensive faceoffs... That's not the definition of a true Norris winner. Same when Karlsson won... that's like Ovechkin winning a selke lol

Plus the year after he barely made team Canada at the olympics and didn't even play. There's a reason for all of that

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree, he’s a weak 1st compared to other years’ firsts, and everyone knew that going in. At the time, people complained that we won the lottery and it was in a crap draft year. 

I don’t consider it a bad pick, but I bet if you look at the 5 years before Nico was drafted, there’s at least one year he wouldn’t be top 5 if you did a “re-draft”. 2013. 20-5 and 2016 all come to mind. 

That said, I still think he’s a solid player and of course, he’s still developing into what he will be. 

oh 100%. him being a "weak #1" is not really a knock on him. He'll be really solid and important for us. But he's not a franchise guy

Just finished the game on the DVR. Absolutely disgusted right now. Way to waste a great game from the young guns like Hughes and Zacha. 

Blackwood was trash tonight. Every single chance the Coyotes got ended up in the back of the net. 

Any time Shero wants to can this bald loser we have for a HC...

Absolutely inexcusable to give up multiple leads at home against what should have been a tired team. 

Start shopping Hall. This team is going nowhere. 

1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:

This guy doesn't know how to make roster decisions, horrible line combos and most noticeably cant coach. The only comparable to this coach is PDB, dont know who is worse ...

Umm...PDB took 2 different teams to the Stanley Cup finals, I have a pretty good idea who is worse...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Man this team fvcking stinks.

Waiting for Nico to start looking like a 1OA.

Jack's shown more in ~10 games.

So we’re just going to pretend Nico didn’t score 20 goals in his rookie season, and lead the team in assists his second? Ok then...

but yes Hughes is looking great. I can be happy about that without slamming Nico who probably isn’t even 100%

Goaltending cost us this game. Period. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Hughes, Zacha, and Subban looked great tonight. We need more consistency in goaltending. I still like this team though.

Subban looked great tonight? You know he’s the black guy that wears 76, right?

I thought he was horrible. other than one nice keep in on the 1st goal. He is not worth 9 million a season if this is what we’re going to get for the next 3 years. 

45 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I might take Nico over Ekblad, and possibly MAF, too. Need a few more years to fairly compare. 

It’s still early though, and a bunch of the other 1OA’s have gotten to play with much better talent than Nico has so far. Maybe not McDavid so much but he’s obviously on another level. 

Oh and it was contreversial a few games ago when I said Subban had zero tangible impact so far.  In fact he's only had one game where he had a real plus impact since then (the Ranger game) and probably a couple with a negative impact this season including tonight.  But he's far from the only one.  Hall and Palms need to get their heads out of you know where too.  They can't have subpar scoring if they're going to keep getting subpar goaltending.  Blackwood was very Cory-esque tonight with the lack of a clutch save and the killer softy, only missing the puckhandling gaffe.

Edited by NJDevs4978

C'mon, that puck bounced right over PK's stick.  He didn't mishandle it.  It's sh!t luck and anyone that plays knows that can happen at any time.

We lost this game because Blackwood played like garbage.  I cannot fathom why Hynes didn't start Schneider.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crisis said:

C'mon, that puck bounced right over PK's stick.  He didn't mishandle it.  It's sh!t luck and anyone that plays knows that can happen at any time.

We lost this game because Blackwood played like garbage.  I cannot fathom why Hynes didn't start Schneider.

Grabner was waiting for that puck to bounce over his stick though, as if he knew PK would screw it up.  Cause there was no other reason for him to be in cherrypicking land at that point shorthanded no less.  He also screwed up the third period goal which granted the fourth line was nowhere to be found on.  And he's supposed to be our 'best' defenseman.  Freaking Severson who can't buy a clue about defense most nights played a 2-on-1 ten times better than PK did.

Edited by NJDevs4978