GDT: Wild @ Devils 11/26 7PM

Nicomo

I'm so burned out by this Schiano drama at Rutgers that I just don't have the emotional capacity to get upset about this team right now.

Another series of questionable roster decisions. Another game where half the team seemingly phoned it in. Another game where we looked outclassed by a (theoretically) inferior team. Another game where our star players don't really show up. Another loss.

It is what it is. This is Devils hockey now and it's fvcking tragic.

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea, he looks just like Miles fvcking Wood. When the team is bad some of you guys go off the deep end and say the dumbest sh!t. 

I wish I could upvote this post more than once. I like most of the people here, including some of the one’s losing their sh!t right now, but ffs let’s please not make this place unbearable. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Oh please. You need to get a grip. At least Nico is a really good player. Your boy Zacha was a far worse pick. 

In fairness - Nico really doesn't look like a first overall pick.

He's certainly not a bust, but.. we didn't get the best player in the draft... Hell we may have gotten the 4th or 5th when all is said and done.

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

In fairness - Nico really doesn't look like a first overall pick.

He's certainly not a bust, but.. we didn't get the best player in the draft... Hell we may have gotten the 4th or 5th when all is said and done.

Would you like to through year by year and see how many times the #1OA was he absolute best player in that draft? Is Aaron Ekblad better than Leon Draisaitl? Is RNH better than Gabriel Landeskog or Mark Scheifele? Some of the best players of all time were not 1st picks. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

People whiff on picks outside the top-5 all the time.

nico is a fine player. I have a nico Jersey! I love that he was re signed. He’ll be a solid number 2ish center for us for a long time.

miro Heiskanen looks like Scott fvcking Niedermayer and Cale Makar looks even better. That’s a whiff. 

To me a whiff is passing on players like Rantanen and Barzal for a guy who can’t even stay in the lineup on a terrible team, or crack 30 points in a season. 

Not taking a bonafide top 6 center who might compete for Selke trophies some day. 

33 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I wish I could upvote this post more than once. I like most of the people here, including some of the one’s losing their sh!t right now, but ffs let’s please not make this place unbearable. 

We're already there, and that's unfortunate because I always enjoyed how this place is a cut above regular social media and places like HF. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’ve never once argued that drafting Zacha wasn’t a huge mistake with the benefit of hindsight. I also think you using Hynes coaching decisions against Pavel isn’t quite fair — it’s clear he’s one of the 6 or 7 best forwards on the team right now. 

the word “generational” is being thrown around about those two defenseman, though. That’s an oof. 

Way too early for all of that. A couple years ago Dahlin was considered the greatest thing since sliced bread. They can’t all be generational lol

55 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The whiff on Makar & Heiskanen will go down as the biggest mistake in franchise history. 

Well that's easy to say in hindsight lol not a single scout had them in the top 2 of that draft.

If we're going to talk about legit mistakes... I'd pick not giving up a 30th first round pick in order to draft fvcking Matteau... Which got us a 30th pick in 2014 instead of a pick that could potentially have gotten us Larkin or Pastrnak.

Well those 2 guys are also cherry picked with hindsight... but i could throw a dart at the board there and still get a better player than Matteau and  Quenneville so.. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's easy to say in hindsight lol not a single scout had them in the top 2 of that draft.

If we're going to talk about legit mistakes... I'd pick not giving up a 30th first round pick in order to draft fvcking Matteau... Which got us a 30th pick in 2014 instead of a pick that could potentially have gotten us Larkin or Pastrnak.

Well those 2 guys are also cherry picked with hindsight... but i could throw a dart at the board there and still get a better player than Matteau and  Quenneville so.. 

Now that truly makes me sad. And I literally just defended Lou a couple times here over the past couple days...UGH

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I didn't know until the post game radio show on the way home that the NHL messed up the video review and that the goal shouldn't have counted. Crazy how they can have that long of a review and still get the call wrong. 

Yeah, we should have lost 3-1 to a terrible team, playing a back-to-back, at home...

what more does Shero need to see? Hynes is clearly not the guy. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Now that truly makes me sad. And I literally just defended Lou a couple times here over the past couple days...UGH

yeah i mean... not drafting a guy who's projected further than your drafting position is not really a mistake IMO. You can only make decisions based on what you know

Not giving up a 30th overall pick when it's the absolute best possible scenario you could wish for if you're in a position where you have to surrender a first round pick... that's a straight up mistake. And it's sure still biting us in the ass to this day.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, devlman said:

As much as Hynes deserves blame for this season, tonight I can’t blame the coaches. How about a big F U to the players with this lousy effort, pucks bouncing off sticks, little physicality, stupid turnovers...they can all gtfo.

Plenty of blame to go around. My fear is that Shero will give Hynes a pass on the entire season because of the Schneider/goaltending situation...

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Amazing. Amazing how few significant chances the Devils were able to generate down a goal against a poor Wild team that played last night. Again, the same story. Yeah, the Wild are good at preventing chances but this isn't new for the Devils. This team is so bad at 5v5 play and given the talent they have that's just inexcusable. There wasn't much to say after the Detroit game - they beat a terrible team - but you still hoped maybe the momentum could swing them a win against the Wild. Unfortunately the Devils are so dysfunctional not even that was to be.

This is 100% spot on and exactly how I feel as well.  We simply don't generate any offense - mainly, I think, because there's no flow to our game.  And that's a HUGE reason why I want Hynes gone.  There's more to it, but that's probably 90% of it.  Every now and then we manage to put up 25-35 shots per game which is a pretty good average and would seem to the naked eye like we're on the attack, but how many of those are actual quality shots, or result in scoring chances?  Like you, I was on record saying I didn't feel any better after beating Detroit - they're a trainwreck, just like us.  

At the end of the day, I think it's really just as simple as this - if the players are doing what they do in practice and not executing it in games, you fire the players.  If what the players are doing during practice isn't working in games, you fire the coach. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

This is pretty obvious. Having a first pic doesn’t mean you get the best guy. There are no guarantees in drafting, you are literally taking a chance on a guy. You can do your research, you can listen to pundits, you can do whatever you want to do, 90% of guys you will not know how they will be until they are in the league. Your McDavid’s and your Crosbys are in the 10%. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, devlman said:

As much as Hynes deserves blame for this season, tonight I can’t blame the coaches. How about a big F U to the players with this lousy effort, pucks bouncing off sticks, little physicality, stupid turnovers...they can all gtfo.

This is why I don’t get the hatred for Wood. If nothing else, he’s giving you 100%.He takes too many penalties, but he also drives penalties, he’s aggressive, he’s fast, he’s chaos on ice skates. Opportunities come from that sometimes.

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea. Her Twitter account is cancerous. 

Yeah as soon as I saw your earlier post I immediately knew you meant Civian.  She is like if someone in a lab decided to combine the worst of Stein and Abbey on steroids.  She is probably the only beat writer I can think of where I am happy we have our current crop rather than her.

She tries to turn every post and conversation about her and throws out the victim card like candy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

To me a whiff is passing on players like Rantanen and Barzal for a guy who can’t even stay in the lineup on a terrible team, or crack 30 points in a season. 

Not taking a bonafide top 6 center who might compete for Selke trophies some day. 

Please dont bring up missing on Barzal. Every time I see him on the ice I want to punch Conte in the stomach. 

Usually when the whole team sucks you can look at the system and coaches... but the fact that Hynes himself asked to be shadowed or wtv tells me that maybe it's the players not executing what he's asking? I don't know? 

At the same time sure we have a young team but we have guys like Zajac, Palms, Hall etc etc who we know should be more productive than they are. 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Usually when the whole team sucks you can look at the system and coaches... but the fact that Hynes himself asked to be shadowed or wtv tells me that maybe it's the players not executing what he's asking? I don't know? 

At the same time sure we have a young team but we have guys like Zajac, Palms, Hall etc etc who we know should be more productive than they are. 

I know that is the line him and the team have said publicly, but I think they are full of it.

• Like 1