New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s sports. It’s not that serious. Being biased is okay.

Yeah well except what we often see is biased and potentially irrational / emotional people literally ganging up and giving sh!t to people with actual rational and fair opinions/points. Not sure that's "okay" or should be encouraged in any way. 

And while yeah its not that serious when it comes to talk about sports online. Unchecked biases, living in an echo chamber feeding on confirmation bias and not challenging your views is a very toxic trait and a mindset that is guaranteed to leak into all aspect of your life if you don't make an effort to stop it

Edited by SterioDesign

I remember a guy from the old AOL & I think he was here for while that thought Marty was way overrated, & a product of a great defensive team. Most everyone vilified him (rightfully so imo)  about his position. 

I know Hughes didn't have a great season, but someone here (I forgot who it was) called him a bust!. Should we have taken Kakko?  (66-10/13 -23 & minus 26) Hughes (61-7/14-21 & minus 26)  Is Kakko a bust?  That was my objection.   

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah well except what we often see is biased and potentially irrational / emotional people literally ganging up and giving sh!t to people with actual rational and fair opinions/points. Not sure that's "okay" or should be encouraged in any way. 

And while yeah its not that serious when it comes to talk about sports online. Unchecked biases, living in an echo chamber feeding on confirmation bias and not challenging your views is a very toxic trait and a mindset that is guaranteed to leak into all aspect of your life if you don't make an effort to stop it

1FCFC9F9-BA67-41D0-BD05-41C1005FA7FB.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

I remember a guy from the old AOL & I think he was here for while that thought Marty was way overrated, & a product of a great defensive team. Most everyone vilified him (rightfully so imo)  about his position. 

I know Hughes didn't have a great season, but someone here (I forgot who it was) called him a bust!. Should we have taken Kakko?  (66-10/13 -23 & minus 26) Hughes (61-7/14-21 & minus 26)  Is Kakko a bust?  That was my objection.   

They both sucked but only one is ours. By default he's the only one that matters. Hopefully if the season ever starts and runs for a while it will bring new energy to these discussions. Way way too much downtime compounded by what we're all living through which is a helluva lot more important. 

24 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Hopefully once the season is really kicking into gear the usual 3-4 posters aren't so prominent in threads, because that is an echo chamber. I am actually surprised how active some people are with this having been such a long off-season.

Not much to talk about in terms of actual moves either...it remains a fairly inactive offseason.  Not a peep about possible deals for RFAs Bratt and Blackwood.  

Guadana’s been doing a solid job with prospect updates though.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not much to talk about in terms of actual moves either...it remains a fairly inactive offseason.  Not a peep about possible deals for RFAs Bratt and Blackwood.  

Guadana’s been doing a solid job with prospect updates though.

It's not as if there's even a lot going on with any other teams either. Personally I can't wait for the first pictures of the teams back on the ice to be posted. I think most boards will start to pick up then as fans start to see things getting going. I also think that's when teams are going to have to nail down their rosters, so we should see a lot of action with free agents & trades. Does anyone else think that Fitz is waiting to take advantage of a team that's up against the cap?

People on this board think that because they are providing ‘the counter opinion’ that it means free license to not make an argument using anything above second grade logic...and then cry when people debunk their point as ‘shutting down the other side!’. Hopefully the season ramping up will get some rational talk going.

2 hours ago, devlman said:

People on this board think that because they are providing ‘the counter opinion’ that it means free license to not make an argument using anything above second grade logic...and then cry when people debunk their point as ‘shutting down the other side!’. Hopefully the season ramping up will get some rational talk going.

Agreed. 

10 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Who the fvck cares about Kakko?!?!  Why the hell is he being brought up in every conversation about Hughes?

Comparing one player's god-awful season doesn't negate another player's god-awful season.

7 hours ago, devlman said:

People on this board think that because they are providing ‘the counter opinion’ that it means free license to not make an argument using anything above second grade logic...and then cry when people debunk their point as ‘shutting down the other side!’.  the season ramping up will get some rational talk going.

lol of course it's everyone who is against your opinion that can't use above second grade logic.  You have not debunked anything except that you somehow have a crystal ball knowing Hughes will definitely be a stud player.  You don't know that and nobody knows.  The only thing we know is that he had a bad season last year.

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

1FCFC9F9-BA67-41D0-BD05-41C1005FA7FB.gif

When did you become such a tool?  I remember you continuing to take shots at me last year for a few days after I was banned and I couldn't respond.

Edited by DevsMan84

16 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

You know as well as anyone that if you go against the groupthink here you get that treatment.  It's been happening for a few years now.

People arent going after you two because of the arguments you make, they go after you because when you argue your points you both just come off like contrarian douches who act like their brain is on some higher level, and then wanna play victim when someone gets triggered by it. It's exhausting. You could be two of the best posters here if it weren't for the way you act. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

People arent going after you two because of the arguments you make, they go after you because when you argue your points you both just come off like contrarian douches who act like their brain is on some higher level, and then wanna play victim when someone gets triggered by it. It's exhausting. You could be two of the best posters here if it weren't for the way you act. 

lol you think I am being contrarian because I don't immediately believe that Hughes will turn out to be a stud for years to come based off a dismal season?

Good to know that opposing opinion and not being able to predict the future = contrarian.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

lol you think I am being contrarian because I don't immediately believe that Hughes will turn out to be a stud for years to come based off a dismal season?

Good to know that opposing opinion and not being able to predict the future = contrarian.

I never said that so don't put words in my mouth. Everyone knows the jury is still out on Hughes but you argue it in such a way that you basically try to make people feel stupid for having their own opinions and disagreeing with you. You keep saying "Ooo can't go against the board norms or else!" but in reality YOU'RE the one who's doing that by passive-agressively putting people down like they're idiots for having a certain opinion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I never said that so don't put words in my mouth. Everyone knows the jury is still out on Hughes but you argue it in such a way that you basically try to make people feel stupid for having their own opinions and disagreeing with you. You keep saying "Ooo can't go against the board norms or else!" but in reality YOU'RE the one who's doing that by passive-agressively putting people down like they're idiots for having a certain opinion. 

You don't think "YeAh bUt hE ScORed 21 pTs lAST yR" from one poster and "But yeah, you obviously have nothing against Hughes. Not at all. What a fvcking bust."  from another is not trying to put me down as an idiot?

At this point the excuses for Hughes are insane.  Cherry picking highlights and stats, saying he was on a bad team when every #1 overall plays on a bad team in their rookie year, comparing his production to rookie seasons from 22 years ago (Thornton), comparing his  and season to Kakko (who cares about Kakko), etc is not ludicrous to you?  If Lafreniere had a similar season as Hughes, you guys would be calling him a bust in a heartbeat.  Hell, guys on here were and still are defending Zacha for years.  It's a 100% fan bias and it's ridiculous.

This forum used to have a lot more posters and I remember discussions here where complete opposite opinions were at the very least tolerated.  Now, if you don't think a certain way, you are called an idiot/jerk/pugilist.  I saw Daniel get the same treatment and it looks like he is gone for good.

I took four months off because of this behavior from a certain number of posters on here; chiefly Nicomo.  I planned to make it permanent.  I came back only because he said he was leaving the board for good only to come back a week later (lmfao).  Looks like I will make it permanent for sure this time.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

You don't think "YeAh bUt hE ScORed 21 pTs lAST yR" from one poster and "But yeah, you obviously have nothing against Hughes. Not at all. What a fvcking bust."  from another is not trying to put me down as an idiot?

At this point the excuses for Hughes are insane.  Cherry picking highlights and stats, saying he was on a bad team when every #1 overall plays on a bad team in their rookie year, comparing his production to rookie seasons from 22 years ago (Thornton), comparing his  and season to Kakko (who cares about Kakko), etc is not ludicrous to you?  If Lafreniere had a similar season as Hughes, you guys would be calling him a bust in a heartbeat.  Hell, guys on here were and still are defending Zacha for years.  It's a 100% fan bias and it's ridiculous.

This forum used to have a lot more posters and I remember discussions here where complete opposite opinions were at the very least tolerated.  Now, if you don't think a certain way, you are called an idiot/jerk/pugilist.  I saw Daniel get the same treatment and it looks like he is gone for good.

I took four months off because of this behavior from a certain number of posters on here; chiefly Nicomo.  I planned to make it permanent.  I came back only because he said he was leaving the board for good only to come back a week later (lmfao).  Looks like I will make it permanent for sure this time.

No one wants anyone to stop posting but we can have disagreements without personal attacks or pretending like you're being persecuted. You honestly do bring valueble conversation to the table, all I'm saying is that your tone can be grating to some posters so don't try to play victim when you know exactly how your posts come across.