2020 Free Agency Megathread

RunninWithTheDevil

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

soo... an entire year of drama, whining, double guessing, GM fired... and he picks the fvcking Sabres? Are you fvcking serious?

I... really dont have any idea how this happened.  But basically, fuq him I hope he fails.

He didn’t like it here and he made it pretty obvious by the end. I agree, fuq im. 

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

I guess so...I'm just like 1 yr 8M, he wants to be traded to a contender (I guess)...but in terms of betting on ur self - This season will be 60-65 games more likely, he'll get injured for 5 of them - put up 17G, 25-30A...then think he'll get a 7 year 56M?

He turns 29 in less than a month - he ain't getting a 7 year deal unless a team is really stupid.  I think he's got 2 or 3 years left before he really starts to decline, and that's not even taking into account if he can stay healthy. 

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I took a LOT of sh!t from people when I was saying I wouldn't back up the brinks truck for him and that I thought he'd get somewhere closer to 9/10M.

it would be a reaaaally different situation if this whole Covid thing didn't happen though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

it would be a reaaaally different situation if this whole Covid thing didn't happen though

How?  Of all the teams and players that it's affected (so far), you could make the argument that it's affected him the least, if at all.  He played out 90% of the season last year and his team wasn't going to make the playoffs anyway.  

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

How?  Of all the teams and players that it's affected (so far), you could make the argument that it's affected him the least, if at all.  He played out 90% of the season last year and his team wasn't going to make the playoffs anyway.  

All teams / owners lost a crazy amount of money and will lose more money again this year without fans in the stands for awhile. There's also tons of uncertainty of how this season will go. So many teams simpler wouldn't spend as much as they usually would. They've talked about this non-stop during the  free agency broadcast all day

• Like 1

All teams / owners lost a crazy amount of money and will lose more money again this year without fans in the stands for awhile. There's also tons of uncertainty of how this season will go. So many teams simpler wouldn't spend as much as they usually would. They've talked about this non-stop during the  free agency broadcast all day

And it’s just pretty obvious, whether anyone’s been saying it or not. 

• Like 1

wow lol if true you're right. I mean i do believe he wants to win... But if it was THAT important. You pick Avs and make 1.5m less. thats a no brainer

Even on their worst line, he’d easily be a 60 point guy if he never moved. Jesus I hope they miss the playoffs even more than I usually do. Screw the Sabres, bunch of losers.

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’ll still be playing for a contender come the trade deadline and he’ll have an extra $1.5m.

If he really cared about winning, you go to Colorado and take $1.5 million less. $1.5 million isn’t chump change, but if you’re serious about a Cup, you go to the team that could very well be a Taylor Hall away and don’t look back. That’s not deal-breaking money, unless you only care about money. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If he really cared about winning, you go to Colorado and take $1.5 million less. $1.5 million isn’t chump change, but if you’re serious about a Cup, you go to the team that could very well be a Taylor Hall away and don’t look back. That’s not deal-breaking money, unless you only care about money. 

I don’t think he ever said he didn’t care about money. If he did, he’s the worst negotiator on earth lol. 

9 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

If he gets hurt again, this master plan of his is all fcked though. Ha.

Well, there is that as well. It’s a roll of the dice for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

And it’s just pretty obvious, whether anyone’s been saying it or not. 

Absolutely, and I think everybody is, has and will be saying it for at least the next year of two. 

Honestly unless Hall suffers a career threatening injury I don't think this was a bad move.  Playing with Eichel for a coach he really liked in Edmonton could work out ok.  He's betting on himself. Is he a strange bird, yeah for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

Absolutely, and I think everybody is, has and will be saying it for at least the next year of two. 

Honestly unless Hall suffers a career threatening injury I don't think this was a bad move.  Playing with Eichel for a coach he really liked in Edmonton could work out ok.  He's betting on himself. Is he a strange bird, yeah for sure. 

And, he has a great first couple of months, he’ll be #1 on all contenders’ trade deadline lists.

If he stays healthy. 

Looking at it from the other angle though. Sakic is REALLY sticking to his plan uh. I mean... many GM would have been like... "fvck this im going for it and trade Byram for a top player for their run. Or throw an extra 1.5m to get a guy like Hall?

They have so much cap room... they had a tough loss in the playoffs.... you'd think they'd want to really hit the pedal and go for it but no... he's really staying on his path

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Looking at it from the other angle though. Sakic is REALLY sticking to his plan uh. I mean... many GM would have been like... "fvck this im going for it and trade Byram for a top player for their run. Or throw an extra 1.5m to get a guy like Hall?

They have so much cap room... they had a tough loss in the playoffs.... you'd think they'd want to really hit the pedal and go for it but no... he's really staying on his path

I still don’t think anyone trades their #4OA pick in the most recent draft for a rental player. This came up once before and I asked if anyone has any examples of anything like that ever happening, and I don’t think anyone did. 

I don’t think Byram was ever on the block, at least not for a rental situation. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I still don’t think anyone trades their #4OA pick in the most recent draft for a rental player. This came up once before and I asked if anyone has any examples of anything like that ever happening, and I don’t think anyone did. 

I don’t think Byram was ever on the block, at least not for a rental situation. 

Closest thing I can think of is Washington trading Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat. An absolute abomination of a trade for the Caps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Closest thing I can think of is Washington trading Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat. An absolute abomination of a trade for the Caps.

That was a terrible trade. Still a first rounder, but Forsberg was a #11 pick and Erat was under contract for an additional year, so he wasn’t a pure “rental”. Not that it makes the deal make any more sense. 

Byram was the top defenseman selected in 2019. It would be crazy to trade him for a rental, it would be like trading your 1st round pick when you know you are going to be in lottery position without protecting it. Bad plan. 

• Like 1