2021 Trade Deadline Thread April 12, 3pm ET

Chimaira_Devil_#9

1 minute ago, Brewskies said:

Hi MadDog2020.

I am not bitching or complaining about what I am asking. Isn't this post in the wrong place, meaning thread? Now that I asked that, I haven't heard anything about why Blackwood left before the start or what his status is. Do you know anything about him and this issue? Would you share with me. Thanks. I googled him and got nothing. I didn't read other threads yet, that maybe my bad.

Yeah I just posted it in the wrong thread. I meant to post that in the GDT lol. I don’t think the Devils have given an update on Blackwood’s status though. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I just posted it in the wrong thread. I meant to post that in the GDT lol. I don’t think the Devils have given an update on Blackwood’s status though. 

The status update is that there is no update on status but they will update us with status once they’ve been updated.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Supposedly they will "see how he feels tomorrow"

I hope there’s an update when he updates them.

In all seriousness, Amanda Stein said it was upper body. No guarantees, but to me, for a hockey player, upper body is always better than lower body, especially for a goalie.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I hope there’s an update when he updates them.

In all seriousness, Amanda Stein said it was upper body. No guarantees, but to me, for a hockey player, upper body is always better than lower body, especially for a goalie.

I get what you're saying, but I refer you to Marty's bicep tear

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I get what you're saying, but I refer you to Marty's bicep tear

I’m not guaranteeing it’s better, but assuming it’s not something catastrophic like the biceps tear, I would rather he have a pulled abdominal muscle than a pulled groin. 

Similarly, a goalie getting a biceps tear is probably still better than a tear anywhere from the waist down. Brodeur recovered from his biceps tear. And then Cory Schneider. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 3:47 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Team who do business that way are usually damned near forever in the "Have Not" category (unless they finally get lucky enough to hit on a bunch of picks who all come up in the same 2-3 year period...then it's "How long can they keep them together?").  Teams like the Pittsburgh Pirates come to mind.

I get the occasional trade of, say, a guy 28 or so, who still looks like he has prime years left, but there's pieces from within to approximate his production, at a much lower cost (freeing up money to pay others if need be).  But yeah, when you're constantly giving up 25-and-youngers in quality-for-quantity trades (the Rockies did this constantly), that's a great way to keep spinning your wheels.

The Devils' problem right now is they're constantly too happy to run out the clock on guys at the end of their contracts like Hall and Palmieri without any real attempt to sign them, yeah I get they probably made the right call with Taylor and maybe Palmieri's best days are over with too (I'd rather see more than just this fubared season before making that determination) but at some point you can't keep demurring on resigning anyone because you're deathly afraid of a 33-year old guy getting paid in 2024 when we can't spend all the cap space we've banked regardless.

Sure they have to trade him now...they wouldn't have had to trade him if they were ever the least bit interested in trying to re-sign him this offseason or in having actual wingers that can get more than 30-35 points to play with Hughes and Nico (when he actually you know, plays).  I'm sick and tired of deadline day and lottery day being the two highlights of our season.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The Devils' problem right now is they're constantly too happy to run out the clock on guys at the end of their contracts like Hall and Palmieri without any real attempt to sign them, yeah I get they probably made the right call with Taylor and maybe Palmieri's best days are over with too (I'd rather see more than just this fubared season before making that determination) but at some point you can't keep demurring on resigning anyone because you're deathly afraid of a 33-year old guy getting paid in 2024 when we can't spend all the cap space we've banked regardless.

Sure they have to trade him now...they wouldn't have had to trade him if they were ever the least bit interested in trying to re-sign him this offseason or in having actual wingers that can get more than 30-35 points to play with Hughes and Nico (when he actually you know, plays).  I'm sick and tired of deadline day and lottery day being the two highlights of our season.

Not making the effort to sign Hall wound up saving us like $80 million that we wouldn’t get half value for, just saying. 

And I’ll add again, there was an effort to sign Hall. He said he wasn’t going to sign until he was assured of the team’s direction or whatever sh!tty excuse he said. Once a guy says that, you are t going to sign him. 

They could’ve signed Palmieri. He probably would have got 5 years at $6m per and people would be whining about that deal for the entire season (and beyond) because he’s underperforming. 

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That last line says it all. I can't wait til we stop spinning the wheels and dont have a battle cry of "wait til next year"

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Not making the effort to sign Hall wound up saving us like $80 million that we wouldn’t get half value for, just saying. 

And I’ll add again, there was an effort to sign Hall. He said he wasn’t going to sign until he was assured of the team’s direction or whatever sh!tty excuse he said. Once a guy says that, you are t going to sign him. 

They could’ve signed Palmieri. He probably would have got 5 years at $6m per and people would be whining about that deal for the entire season (and beyond) because he’s underperforming. 

Ultimately might end up costing Hall $80 million too cause his value might be dropping drastically with that season in Buf. At least compared to the money he could have got following a Hart trophy

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Palms helping his trade value with 5 points in his last 8 games, after having none in 7. 

After reading that athletic article you have to feel there is an understanding in place that he will be shipped out at the deadline if a good deal is there, and then they will work on something mutually agreeable over the summer. 

5 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Palms helping his trade value with 5 points in his last 8 games, after having none in 7. 

After reading that athletic article you have to feel there is an understanding in place that he will be shipped out at the deadline if a good deal is there, and then they will work on something mutually agreeable over the summer. 

Best case scenario honestly. 

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

They never gave him an official offer, that's not effort.  And it wasn't gonna be any $80 million if they did, which might be part of the reason why they never gave him an offer - they didn't want to give him some 5-45 proposal he'd have taken as an insult (and they might not have even wanted him to take that), so they just gave him zero instead.

Edited by NJDevs4978

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They never gave him an official offer, that's not effort.  And it wasn't gonna be any $80 million if they did, which might be part of the reason why they never gave him an offer - they didn't want to give him some 5-45 proposal he'd have taken as an insult (and they might not have even wanted him to take that), so they just gave him zero instead.

First off, the guy said he didn’t want to to talk about a contract. To make him an offer despite that takes away all of your negotiating power. Showing a guy you are desperate and making him an offer when he specifically said he didn’t want to discuss a contract isn’t “effort” it’s completely undermining yourself .

They were never signing him for 5/45, there is no way that would have even been close to the offer he got. He was coming off an MVP season. He was getting his 8 year deal. 

He “got zero” because that’s what he wanted, zero from New Jersey because he didn’t want to play in New Jersey. 

Not to keep hammering on about Palms , but I had the lens feed tonight on UK TV (every bit as bad as it sounds) and they were saying that every team in the league should be interested in him, the Devil's will have plenty of offers. So there is still a perception out there he is a very useful piece. If there is competition for his service we might be able to get more that we were thinking. 

On 3/21/2021 at 4:17 PM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Not to keep hammering on about Palms , but I had the lens feed tonight on UK TV (every bit as bad as it sounds) and they were saying that every team in the league should be interested in him, the Devil's will have plenty of offers. So there is still a perception out there he is a very useful piece. If there is competition for his service we might be able to get more that we were thinking. 

I think more than one team will want Kulikov, too. We'll see what happens.

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Devs and Kyle Palmieri are “finding it difficult to find common ground” in contract talks, probably because Kyle thinks he’s in the year 1997 where people get paid more for past performance than for future expectations.

My guess is it's about term...Palms probably wants three years at the very least.  Can't see the Devils offering more than two.  

I side with the Devils on this one.  I'm sure Kyle's probably a little bummed/disillusioned because he's a good dude and loves NJ and being a Devil, but that doesn't mean the Devils should pay too much for what he currently is on the ice.  Anything over two years is too risky (even though the Devils will have the cap space to have a mid-range bad contract not hurt them).

I get the feeling a LOT of players are going to have adjust their contract expectations.  And it's about time teams finally started getting smarter with their spending.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My guess is it's about term...Palms probably wants three years at the very least.  Can't see the Devils offering more than two.  

I think that’s right. He probably wants as long a term as possible and doesn’t really care too much about AAV, +/- a million or two isn’t as important as getting the most years he can. 

I don’t think that’s happening and if he gets 3 years he should consider himself extremely lucky. He’s almost in the position where a one year “prove it” deal might be all he gets.  

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think that’s right. He probably wants as long a term as possible and doesn’t really care too much about AAV, +/- a million or two isn’t as important as getting the most years he can. 

I don’t think that’s happening and if he gets 3 years he should consider himself extremely lucky. He’s almost in the position where a one year “prove it” deal might be all he gets.  

Yeah, I think the one-year "show me" deal (or trades for slightly declining players who still have something left, on soon-to-expire contracts) is going to become more and more commonplace, as teams become more and more wary of committing years and dollars to vets who've already seen their best days (and who become far less cost-effective on pricier UFA deals).

If I were to guess numbers, I'm thinking the Devils might be talking 1 year at around $5.5 million, 2 years at around $5 million each.  Wouldn't surprise me if Kyle's camp would take $4.5 - 4.9 million at three years or more...assuming his agent is even attempting to read the market correctly.  If he thinks Kyle's looking at 3+ years approaching $6 million per, like MB3 alluded to, he needs to find a DeLorean, Flux Capacitor, and some plutonium.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, I think the one-year "show me" deal (or trades for slightly declining players who still have something left, on soon-to-expire contracts) is going to become more and more commonplace, as teams become more and more wary of committing years and dollars to vets who've already seen their best days (and who become far less cost-effective on pricier UFA deal).

If I were to guess numbers, I'm thinking the Devils might be talking 1 year at around $5.5 million, 2 years at around $5 million each.  Wouldn't surprise me if Kyle's camp would take $4.5 - 4.9 million at three years or more...assuming his agent is even attempting to read the market correctly.  If he thinks Kyle's looking at 3+ years approaching $6 million per, like MB3 alluded to, he needs to find a DeLorean, Flux Capacitor, and some plutonium.    

Or call Blake Coleman. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Or call Blake Coleman. 

I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, I think the one-year "show me" deal (or trades for slightly declining players who still have something left, on soon-to-expire contracts) is going to become more and more commonplace, as teams become more and more wary of committing years and dollars to vets who've already seen their best days (and who become far less cost-effective on pricier UFA deals).

Or the more eco-friendly Mr. Fusion.  

• Like 1