Devils Getting a Black Third Jersey

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Marty on the phone to ownership. 

Ownership: How's the design going?

Marty: Oh fine , I think we were putting in  something-or-other... and rack and peanut steering. 

Ownership: Huh ? You didn't ask for rack and pinion steering, did you ?

Marty: Uh, yeah, I think I did.

Ownership: How could you ask for it ? You don't even know what it is. You just called it rack and peanut steering.

Marty: May I be excused. 

Season 2 GIF by The Simpsons

Oh joy they found some more teams nobody has ever given a fvck about to reference. I really can't express how much I hate all these pictures explaining what everything is referencing. If you have to explain every single thing it shows what a sh!t job you did. Absolute fvcking trash... 

20211123_092611.thumb.jpg.06a9da0af41911e54998c1453ea68be5.jpg

Edited by Satans Hockey

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Oh joy they found some more teams nobody has ever given a fvck about to reference. Absolute fvcking trash... 

You could not be more wrong.

#RememberTheSkeeters

5 Stripes above the heart for the amount of seconds it should have taken to realize this jersey was awful. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I didn't notice but are the pants the regular pants with the Devils logo?  To me the best part of the new get-up is the all black gloves.  13 times to honor Nico, should have been 1 time to honor Chico then have the equipment manager forget to set them out.  3 F'N YEARS?!!!!!! 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Red accents to the white stripes. Ditch the "Jersey", use our traditional NJ logo, no circle, keeping it white over red. 

1000% improvement with zero design experience and about a day's worth of thought. 

Yeah I would love to see a mockup of this.  I'm especially convinced that replacing all of the black stripes with red would make a mountain of difference.  Wouldn't look so damned monochrome.

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Oh joy they found some more teams nobody has ever given a fvck about to reference. Absolute fvcking trash... 

This is where they are simply trying to be far too clever for their own good.  It's not that complicated.  Next time, try to get a pulse of what the fans might want...you know, the people who live and breathe both NJ and Devils hockey.  I like Patrick Warburton a lot, but I don't need a corporate shill from Canada and a dude who grew up in California (Warburton) having input on what us Jersey folk are going to be into. 

The sad thing is that I see what they're trying to do, no matter how many reasons they want to give as to what the design elements are supposed to pay homage to...they were trying to come up with a "classic" look, something harkening back to an era far before the Devils were a thing...something clean and with a 40s-50s vibe.  And so far, they don't look as bad on players as they did in initial photos.  But overall it's just not working.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I would love to see a mockup of this.  I'm especially convinced that replacing all of the black stripes with red would make a mountain of difference.  Wouldn't look so damned monochrome.

This is where they are simply trying to be far too clever for their own good.  It's not that complicated.  Next time, try to get a pulse of what the fans might want...you know, the people who live and breathe both NJ and Devils hockey.  I like Patrick Warburton a lot, but I don't need a corporate shill from Canada and a dude who grew up in California (Warburton) having input on what us Jersey folk are going to be into.      

Someone else said it too and I absolutely agree, our front office is run by a bunch of absolute clueless corporate stooges, especially Jake Reynolds so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they made up this bs up about Marty and David Puddy having a part of making these jerseys thinking "oh the fans will love if we say those guys "designed" it"

Edited by Satans Hockey

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You could not be more wrong.

#RememberTheSkeeters

5 Stripes above the heart for the amount of seconds it should have taken to realize this jersey was awful. 

19 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Oh joy they found some more teams nobody has ever given a fvck about to reference. I really can't express how much I hate all these pictures explaining what everything is referencing. If you have to explain every single thing it shows what a sh!t job you did. Absolute fvcking trash... 

For the Devils next stab at an alt in 20 years, they will pay homage to the local beer league teams over at Protec Hockey Ponds in Somerset, NJ.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Someone else said it too and I absolutely agree, our front office is run by a bunch of absolute clueless corporate stooges, especially Jake Reynolds so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they made up this bs up about Marty and David Puddy having a part of making these jerseys thinking "oh the fans will love if we say those guys "designed" it"

My favorite part about the explanation about the jersey is that the laces are in homage to Brodeur.  That's a big fvcking stretch to explain why they put laces on it lol.

• Like 2

My main ire is the logo. It's so fvcking boring. Could they have not just made the too of the J look like the J from the main logo and added a devils tail on the end of the Y. 

@SterioDesign can you use your Photoshop skills to mock that up. 

Well they got it completely wrong so would love to see what other options these morons had... 

"Adding to his résumé as a Hall of Fame goalie and the team's executive vice president/advisor of hockey operations, Brodeur is now a fashion designer. He played an active role in co-creating the team's third jersey, from the concept phases through the final design.

"The alumni have a little bit of envy going on," Jillian Frechette, the senior vice president of marketing for the Devils, told ESPN. "Our players have never had an official third jersey, so this was really special to Marty. The most important piece of this was the authenticity to the sport. Marty's fingerprints on this jersey are critically important."

Frechette and Brodeur were the driving forces behind the jersey's design and concept, although many inside the organization, along with executives from Adidas and the NHL, contributed to the process.

And it was a process.

"When you're in a market for almost 40 years without a third jersey, then you have to get it right," Frechette said. "There were a lot of details that we sweated over. Jerseys are really special, for both the players and the fans. Sometimes [fans] can be overwhelmingly in love, some fans will be ambivalent and some fans will take a little longer [to like it]. But we believe that most of our fans will love it, and grow to really cherish it."

Edited by Satans Hockey

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Of course this tool bag has to be the contrarian yet again... 

This guy's even more contrarian than Tri was, heh heh.  

Well, glad Greggy apparently speaks for everyone.  Where I'm from (grew up in Hillsborough and have since lived in Clifton, Lambertville, Manville, Franklin Park, High Bridge, and now Clinton), no, "I grew up in Jersey" was not said constantly.  Among some circles, sure, but most definitely not all.  

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Well they got it completely wrong so would love to see what other options these morons had... 

"Adding to his résumé as a Hall of Fame goalie and the team's executive vice president/advisor of hockey operations, Brodeur is now a fashion designer. He played an active role in co-creating the team's third jersey, from the concept phases through the final design.

"The alumni have a little bit of envy going on," Jillian Frechette, the senior vice president of marketing for the Devils, told ESPN. "Our players have never had an official third jersey, so this was really special to Marty. The most important piece of this was the authenticity to the sport. Marty's fingerprints on this jersey are critically important."

Frechette and Brodeur were the driving forces behind the jersey's design and concept, although many inside the organization, along with executives from Adidas and the NHL, contributed to the process.

And it was a process.

"When you're in a market for almost 40 years without a third jersey, then you have to get it right," Frechette said. "There were a lot of details that we sweated over. Jerseys are really special, for both the players and the fans. Sometimes [fans] can be overwhelmingly in love, some fans will be ambivalent and some fans will take a little longer [to like it]. But we believe that most of our fans will love it, and grow to really cherish it."

Well you really nailed this one after just 3 years on the job you Canadian empty suit hack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

It's Marty's fault?!? I wouldn't mind the Jersey if not for the bubbly girl cursive font.

Same.  I love stripes and I think the back of the jersey looks awesome.  But the font is so bad.  If they used that blacked out Devils logo with some red outlines instead, I think it would be incredible.  But alas, too boardwalky for me.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Cause the suits in charge felt if Marty designed it, fans would automatically love it and not oppose it, idiots

This is 100% right.  In fact, I'm willing to bet that Marty had little to nothing to do with designing this thing.  He probably sat in a meeting or 2 in order to review various designs and they are using him as a marketing ploy.  These things are hideous.

50 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

They act like we are an org. that has no history of its own, so let's look back to other low level (irrelevant) teams that have played in the state over the years.  I can see Seattle or Vegas doing something like this, not a team with 40 years of history and 3 Stanley Cup wins.

• Like 1