Another New New Jersey Devils Jersey ?

Chimaira_Devil_#9

54 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

The new New Jersey reverse retro jersey is ugly.  The chest emblem looks like they just slapped it on a random jersey.

I think with a tweaked, semi-modernized version of the Rockies or Scouts crest, that color scheme and layout actually does work.  Not as much with the Devils crest, especially since they didn't add yellow into any of the crst rings (would've at least tied the look together a little better)...they might as well have gone with a Scouts crest, especially since those jerseys had a shoulder yoke.  It would actually have improved the overall look.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think with a tweaked, semi-modernized version of the Rockies or Scouts crest, that color scheme and layout actually does work.  Not as much with the Devils crest, especially since they didn't add yellow into any of the crst rings (would've at least tied the look together a little better)...they might as well have gone with a Scouts crest, especially since those jerseys had a shoulder yoke.  It would actually have improved the overall look.    

Also improving the overall look: making it look like a Devils jersey lol. 

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

The jersey having less lines than the early concept we saw is a lot better. There was too many lines. I wouldnt buy this new one but honestly it's fine to me. 

What's kind of funny is that you realize that they really put very little thought into the design:

Start with a Heritage:

101354a_med.jpeg

Fill in the slim white areas between the red and green areas with yellow, and change the green to blue, and then alter some of the dimensions a little:

y7XUZ9M.jpeg

And that's that.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Also improving the overall look: making it look like a Devils jersey lol. 

Yeah I would've rather they just paid homage to the Devils, end of story.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's kind of funny is that you realize that they really put very little thought into the design:

Start with a Heritage:

101354a_med.jpeg

Fill in the slim white areas between the red and green areas with yellow, and change the green to blue, and then alter some of the dimensions a little:

y7XUZ9M.jpeg

And that's that.

Which is proof positive that if the correct colors were used, it would be a much better jersey, because the heritage is a much better jersey. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Which is proof positive that if the correct colors were used, it would be a much better jersey, because the heritage is a much better jersey. 

I think this time around swapping the narrow white stripes for green and the exiting green stripes for black (and making the RR 2.0 blue crest rings black and the white crest ring green) would've been fun in that such a design would have been the very first jersey to honor both the red and green and red and black in one package.  I think many fans would've loved it, even with the resemblance to the Heritage.  Feels like a badly missed opportunity.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Start with a Heritage:

101354a_med.jpeg

Fill in the white areas with yellow and change the green to blue, and then alter some of the dimensions a little:

y7XUZ9M.jpeg

And that's that.

You just barely beat me to it - I was going to respond to one of your posts a few pages back and note the new reverse retro is actually a combination of the Rockies' (and Scouts') colors and the Devils' 1982-92 jerseys' striping.

In that context, I like these reverse retros - they acknowledge the Colorado Rockies' transition into the Devils by incorporating elements of both jerseys from immediately before and after the move.  They don't hold a candle to the green reverse retros that were used a couple years ago, which the Devils should still use occasionally IMO (especially around Christmas), but to my eyes they are much better than the IMO boring and mostly ugly "Jersey" jerseys from last year.

In all seriousness, how many good reverse retro designs do the Devils feasibly have, especially those that honor only their history in north Jersey?  I mean, the Devils have really only used two jersey designs in 40 years (with a 3rd design being a minor modification of one of those two) that themselves aren't dramatically different except for one color, and while based in north Jersey they've only used one (really good) logo.  I personally don't want to see a variation of the Scouts' logo, which wasn't that great, on the reverse retro, and obviously the Rockies logo is out because it ties to the Colorado state flag, is used by the Avalanche, and has a "C" in it, a letter nowhere to be found in the name "New Jersey Devils".  The only other obvious reverse retro candidate for the Devils is one that inverts the red and black color scheme on the 1992-2017 jerseys, or possibly inverts the red/black color scheme while using the 1982-92 striping.  We'll probably see that reverse retro in 2023-24.

• Like 1

Here is a fan created design that would have honored the Scouts (which is unnecessary but still), and still been the right colors. 

If a fan can create this, the jersey people in our franchise should have been able to. 

Sub in the Jersey Devil like I mentioned above, and it’s hard to imagine anyone not being on board with it. 

04910465-4AEE-4329-A590-C7A18044E688.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CHIP72 said:

You just barely beat me to it - I was going to respond to one of your posts a few pages back and note the new reverse retro is actually a combination of the Rockies' (and Scouts') colors and the Devils' 1982-92 jerseys' striping.

In that context, I like these reverse retros - they acknowledge the Colorado Rockies' transition into the Devils by incorporating elements of both jerseys from immediately before and after the move.  They don't hold a candle to the green reverse retros that were used a couple years ago, which the Devils should still use occasionally IMO (especially around Christmas), but to my eyes they are much better than the IMO boring and mostly ugly "Jersey" jerseys from last year.

In all seriousness, how many good reverse retro designs do the Devils feasibly have, especially those that honor only their history in north Jersey?  I mean, the Devils have really only used two jersey designs in 40 years (with a 3rd design being a minor modification of one of those two) that themselves aren't dramatically different except for one color, and while based in north Jersey they've only used one (really good) logo.  I personally don't want to see a variation of the Scouts' logo, which wasn't that great, on the reverse retro, and obviously the Rockies logo is out because it ties to the Colorado state flag, is used by the Avalanche, and has a "C" in it, a letter nowhere to be found in the name "New Jersey Devils".  The only other obvious reverse retro candidate for the Devils is one that inverts the red and black color scheme on the 1992-2017 jerseys, or possibly inverts the red/black color scheme while using the 1982-92 striping.  We'll probably see that reverse retro in 2023-24.

I'll admit it...I don't necessarily love these new RRs (I loved the previous batch...I own Bastian's GW RR), but I do like them more than the Jersey jerseys...I've gotten used to them, but every time I see them I just think how cool a Devils black jersey could have been...and how uncool the Jersey jerseys are.  I can tolerate them on ice, but that's about it.

I've brought it up, but the "reverse" part of the equation has absolutely been ignored in some of these designs.  The Devils completely followed the rules last year.  This year, they pretty much came up with a "New Heritage, color scheme inspired by the Scouts and Rockies" alternate.  So they acknowledged one "R", and ignored the other.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Here is a fan created design that would have honored the Scouts (which is unnecessary but still), and still been the right colors. 

If a fan can create this, the jersey people in our franchise should have been able to. 

Sub in the Jersey Devil like I mentioned above, and it’s hard to imagine anyone not being on board with it. 

04910465-4AEE-4329-A590-C7A18044E688.jpeg

Need some polish but yeah, It's not bad.  Would be cooler if that was the Jersey Devil saddled up on that horse, heh heh.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'll admit it...I don't necessarily love these new RRs (I loved the previous batch...I own Bastian's GW RR), but I do like them more than the Jersey jerseys...I've gotten used to them, but every time I see them I just think how cool a Devils black jersey could have been...and how uncool the Jersey jerseys are.  I can tolerate them on ice, but that's about it.

I've brought it up, but the "reverse" part of the equation has absolutely been ignored in some of these designs.  The Devils completely followed the rules last year.  This year, they pretty much came up with a "New Heritage, color scheme inspired by the Scouts and Rockies" alternate.  So they acknowledged one "R", and ignored the other.

Counterpoint, it’s definitely retro, and the whole thing is ass backwards, does that count as “reverse”?

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Start with a Heritage:

101354a_med.jpeg

y7XUZ9M.jpeg

And that's that.

Just waiting to have wonder bread sponsor us on these retro nights.

1 minute ago, bobilly45 said:

My roller hockey jerseys look better then this crap..

Islanders imo is the best one, and the rangers liberty one is nice as well.

But whatever, I also hate the black jerseys.  Not sure why our everyday jersey was even modified, but it is what it is.

The 1992-2017 jerseys were great, as is.  Really hope they return one day. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The 1992-2017 jerseys were great, as is.  Really hope they return one day. 

One can hope that one day that will happen.

The 1982-1992 jerseys (both home and road versions) and green reverse retro can be rolled out occasionally, maybe 4-6 times per year combined between the three jerseys, but the 1992-2017 jerseys need to go back to being the primary jerseys.

Even though I like (though don't love) the new reverse retros, they should be a one year thing.  The Devils are (as I sometimes call them) the red and black attack, and that is what they should wear in perpetuity (with occasional nods to their red & green days).

Edited by CHIP72

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Start with a Heritage:

101354a_med.jpeg

y7XUZ9M.jpeg

And that's that.

Well i say this as a designer and realize that you're not a designer and im 100% not saying this in a condescending way.

But it's a very very common comment from people not working in the industry to look at a design and say that not a lot of work went behind it simply based on what it looks like and assume that it was their #1 idea and that was it.

All you see if the final product, but before that almost always came TONS of concepts and all sorts of variations that were voted on by focus groups and all that kind of sh!t. To the point that the final product is often not even the favourite design the design did.

Having been part of the industry for almost 2 decades. I can assure you that a lot of thought when into those designs. 

26 minutes ago, mikemarc1 said:

CBS, Yahoo, and The Athletic rate our RRs as included in “the best”.

ESPN and USA Today have us in the middle of the pack, while barstool has us in the high 20s.

safe to say our fanbase is really under rating them lol

That's only if you care what their writers write and boy I sure couldn't give two sh!ts. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mikemarc1 said:

CBS, Yahoo, and The Athletic rate our RRs as included in “the best”.

ESPN and USA Today have us in the middle of the pack, while barstool has us in the high 20s.

safe to say our fanbase is really under rating them lol

They do seem to be rather well received among non-Devils fans.

I think I’d appreciate these more if the Jersey jersey had been better. If we had made a nice black jersey with the red logo maybe I’d get having to go back into history for the next jersey. 

But while I don’t like blue and yellow on our jersey, I do understand the Devils not wanting to have a second black jersey while still wearing the first one 10 games a year. So I’m not a fan of them but I get it. I guess.