Devils Trade with Washington for Goalie Vitek Vanacek (37th and 70th picks)

DevilMinder

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Scrolling through the replies and Caps fans are PISSED about this trade. Not bad for “Failure Fitz.”

“Failure Fitz”?  Are you serious?  The guy was GM for two seasons.  One was during COVID and the second was an expansion year.  I think he is doing a good job and we will see results in the upcoming season.  

15 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

“Failure Fitz”?  Are you serious?  The guy was GM for two seasons.  One was during COVID and the second was an expansion year.  I think he is doing a good job and we will see results in the upcoming season.  

Am serious? No, I’m not the one that goes around calling him that (hence the quotations). It’s one of our main resident malcontents thing. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Am serious? No, I’m not the one that goes around calling him that (hence the quotations). It’s one of our main resident malcontents thing. 

Sorry, I missed the sarcasm.  I reread your post.

Edited by Puckbuster
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 11:20 PM, mfitz804 said:

And Vanecek had better numbers than Samsonov. 

There is a great write up here. https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2022/7/8/23200171/new-jersey-devils-trade-37th-70th-overall-washington-goaltender-vitek-vanecek-46th-overall

His numbers do get better when you look at his even strength save percentage, but his numbers take pretty mean drop when out there on PK and PP for that matter. So those numbers are the big question mark for me with him. His 5v5 play looks great. 

He was arguably Washington’s better goaltender compared with Ilya Samsonov as he posted a 90.8% save percentage in all situations and a 91.8% in 5-on-5 situations per Natural Stat Trick. His Goals Saved Above Average for both with the Capitals were above 1 and, again, better than Samsonov. Last season went even better for Vanecek. He played in 42 games, posted a 90.8% save percentage in all situations, a very good 92.6% in 5-on-5 hockey, and posted GSAAs in the 6 range in all situations and the 8 range in 5-on-5 - all better than Samsonov per Natural Stat Trick. In other words, the 26-year old Vanecek was quite good for the Capitals.

As for what WSH was thinking? Other than having their answer already in the organization? Maybe one of the coaching staff or management soured on him for some reason. Maybe not. I wasn't impressed with Samsonov when he played against New Jersey or when he played in the playoffs. Maybe they think he's the next Shesterkin and it makes Vanacek moveable. There's a player who's name rhymes with Orsberg that WSH traded for Marty Erat, but they also gave us Siegenthaler too. 

I don't care why Washington traded Vanecek. What matters to me is that the Devils get two goaltenders that will allow the team to contend for the playoffs. So Fitz acquiring Vanecek for very little is great. I am still uncomfortable with Blackwood. He needs to get his heel fixed, and whatever is going on inside his head between his ears. He has a year to go on his contract. Based on his performance the last few years, I don't see the Devils offering him the contract he expects as a FA next season. I don't trust his play, and I don't want to go another season as a non playoff contender. I would hope that Fitz continues looking for another goalie. Cam Talbot may be upset with his new arrangement with Fleury; he thinks he should be a starter. Since he is 35, maybe Fitz might start considering a 2 yr contract for Talbot should he ask out from the Wild, just a thought. I am pleased to see that Fitz understands that the goaltending is essential, as is  defense, two weak links of the Devils. 

FWIW, Blackwood’s had more time for his heel to recover, and according to Fitz is ready and rarin’ to go for the 2022-23 season.  Not going to pretend that I wouldn’t mind someone else being brought in (and Blackwood being moved), but he’s still young and it’s not like he would bring back much at the moment.  I also think the Devils are pretty much committed to a Vanecek/Blackwood tandem, with the games played split simply based on who’s better and more consistently hot.  It’s a big year for both goalies.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

FWIW, Blackwood’s had more time for his heel to recover, and according to Fitz is ready and rarin’ to go for the 2022-23 season.  Not going to pretend that I wouldn’t mind someone else being brought in (and Blackwood being moved), but he’s still young and it’s not like he would bring back much at the moment.  I also think the Devils are pretty much committed to a Vanecek/Blackwood tandem, with the games played split simply based on who’s better and more consistently hot.  It’s a big year for both goalies.  

I agree with your post but I hate taking the chance that Blackwood can get the job done. He is a big risk if your goal is to be a playoff contender. If your goal is a repeater or habit, then no problem with the Blackwood risk. Just my opinion after watching his performance. 

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Blackwood's got the yips like Cory did

Like I said, not against the idea of Blackwood out and someone else in, but there’s no major upgrades out there at this point, and Blackwood’s value is not exactly at its highest at the moment.  But it’s definitely a “Last Chance” scenario for him.  

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

if by “yips” you mean “debilitating and career ending hip injury”, you’ve nailed it again my man. Batting a thousand.

Cory was the king of weak goals and everyone knew we weren't winning when we went to shootout and he was in net. Yeah, hip injury is a given, but Cory also had some other issues going on

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Like I said, not against the idea of Blackwood out and someone else in, but there’s no major upgrades out there at this point, and Blackwood’s value is not exactly at its highest at the moment.  But it’s definitely a “Last Chance” scenario for him.  

Blackwood is getting the Jacob Josefson treatment

4 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Cory was the king of weak goals and everyone knew we weren't winning when we went to shootout and he was in net. Yeah, hip injury is a given, but Cory also had some other issues going on

Josefson never had the equivalent of Blackwood’s first two NHL seasons.  Those seasons have bought Blackwood this last chance, in the final year of his contract.  We’ll see what he does with it.

24 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Schneider had one of the highest career save percentages in NHL history before his injuries….