2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

Our biggest offseason acquisition (besides the improvement from getting rid of Zacha) will be the addition of Holtz. The amount of posters ready to ship this kid off has been a case study in groupthink...and based off what? He had a productive first year in North America.

He will be a star in this league playing next to Jack. He already is the best shot on the team. Book him for being in the Calder front runner conversation this season. 

I think people were hoping to see a little more during his call ups. But he did some real nice things in Utica so I’m really looking to see some of that develop in Jersey this year. I’m especially excited to see him since hearing he’s been training with a skating coach. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And I’m sure the Flames realize this and will do EVERY last thing to make Huberdeau feel welcome and like he’s a HUGE part of their plans…starting with “We weren’t comfortable making a deal like this without you becoming a part of this franchise.”  

I really hope the Panthers gave him a heads up that it was possible and that a deal was likely going to happen, as opposed to springing it on him. Dude is the franchise’s all-time leading scorer.

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think people were hoping to see a little more during his call ups. But he did some real nice things in Utica so I’m really looking to see some of that develop in Jersey this year. I’m especially excited to see him since hearing he’s been training with a skating coach. 

I mean, any rookie playing in North America for the first time, called up to play for Recchi/Nas and this train wreck of a team would look out of sorts. But like you said, he looked good in Utica. His skating will improve and he doesn’t have to skate better than NHL-average anyway. Plenty of elite players who don’t skate like the wind.

Think of all the wingers we had playing next to Jack who botched grade-A chances. This year those are getting buried thanks to Holtz.

Edited by devlman

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I really hope the Panthers gave him a heads up that it was possible and that a deal was likely going to happen, as opposed to springing it on him. Dude is the franchise’s all-time leading scorer.

It's a real good move in my opinion. I'd assume that he had talks with Huberdeau about re-signing this summer and that it was not going to work for wtv reasons or that Hubie wasn't sure. Well you can't just risk losing a guy like that for nothing without looking into options. So he looked into moving him while he has value the most value he can have, plenty of time during the summer to figure out what the team need and while other teams are also doing the same thing. Perfect time. And once you've done your homeworks and know what you can get for him. Then you can actually make a smart and calculated decision if you wanna move him or go all-in during the season and keep him. At the very least a decision is taken. You don't just... blindly go in simply hoping everything goes your way, cause if they don't take a giant step back. 

34 minutes ago, StarDew said:

I don't know if it is the heat/humidity combo but some folks need to find another team to root for if all they can do is bitch no matter what the organization dies.:noclue:

It’s their opinion and they’re allowed to have it.  If you’re going to throw that one out there (and you do that from time to time), only fair to allow others to present THEIR opinions, whether you agree with them or not.  Pretty hypocritical otherwise.

Even if I’m not feeling the same, I can understand being disappointed when it felt like a big fish was in the Devils’ grasp…but that’s when you take a step back and realize that the only guy the Devils were truly close to landing was JG…and if that guy is hoping another specific team will make him an offer, gotta wonder how much his heart was ever into coming here.  We have no idea if Tkachuk was willing to sign an extension here, and even if he was, the Devils simply had no Huberdeau to send the other way.  I didn’t want to see the Devils give up their 2nd OA for DeBrincat.

I think the Devils are actually in better shape than many fans think.  L Hughes and Nemec should be terrific NHLers…they were picked 4th and 2nd OA in their drafts for a reason.  And nASS isn’t around to screw them up.  I think this year is going to be a pleasant surprise, I really do.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s their opinion and they’re allowed to have it.  If you’re going to throw that one out there (and you do that from time to time), only fair to allow others to present THEIR opinions, whether you agree with them or not.  Pretty hypocritical otherwise.

Even if I’m not feeling the same, I can understand being disappointed when it felt like a big fish was in the Devils’ grasp…but that’s when you take a step back and realize that the only guy the Devils were truly close to landing was JG…and if that guy is hoping another specific team will make him an offer, gotta wonder how much his heart was ever into coming here.  We have no idea if Tkachuk was willing to sign an extension here, and even if he was, the Devils simply had no Huberdeau to send the other way.  I didn’t want to see the Devils give up their 2nd OA for DeBrincat.

I think the Devils are actually in better shape than many fans think.  L Hughes and Nemec should be terrific NHLers…they were picked 4th and 2nd OA in their drafts for a reason.  And nASS isn’t around to screw them up.  I think this year is going to be a pleasant surprise, I really do.  

Oh so I am not entitled to my opinion but others are? Talk about hypocritical.  Some do nothing but bitch no matter what is being discussed. Don't like me then put me on ignore. That's the going sentiment, right? btw get new material regarding my past. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Oh so I am not entitled to my opinion but others are? Talk about hypocritical.  Some do nothing but bitch no matter what is being discussed. Don't like me then put me on ignore. That's the going sentiment, right? btw get new material regarding my past. 

Yikes.  Once again I NEVER said you couldn’t post an opinion…that is such an absurd take.  But for some reason on those occasions where someone dares to disagree with you, right away it’s “Well that’s my opinion and I’m allowed to have it”.  When no one ever told you that you weren’t allowed to.

I don’t also lump all of the “bitchers” into one category.  I explained why I can understand why some people might be disappointed and are letting off steam about it.  Shouldn’t be so difficult to grasp that, really.

• Like 1

To me it's hilarious how some people default to "boo hoo you're gatekeeping me" when all that's happening is that people are giving THEIR opinions on what's been said. It's an opinion about an opinion. 

But no, anytime someone gets their opinion challenged or called out, that it's fair or not, they default to the whole gatekeeping thing. They just can't handled being challenged clearly.

There's a gigantic difference between saying "what you're saying is dumb" or "what you're saying is annoying" or "if this makes you this angry maybe you should just do something else" and "you are not allowed to say this" and actively trying to prevent something to be said. 

Especially hilarious when the #1 culprit of this constantly tells other people straight up to shut the fvck up when things don't go his way. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

This franchise has sucked for a decade, I'll believe it when I see it at this point in terms of them actually turning this trash heap around. 

Well if they suck again this year, gotta think that’s definitely the end of Fitz.  And that in itself will suck because I think he’s had a good offseason.  The only move he made that I hated this offseason was Kid Ray Part Deux.

But I won’t be as happy if Tatar and Johnsson are still here.  He’s gotta find a way to dump one of them, at the very least.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, devlman said:

I mean, any rookie playing in North America for the first time, called up to play for Recchi/Nas and this train wreck of a team would look out of sorts. But like you said, he looked good in Utica. His skating will improve and he doesn’t have to skate better than NHL-average anyway. Plenty of elite players who don’t skate like the wind.

Think of all the wingers we had playing next to Jack who botched grade-A chances. This year those are getting buried thanks to Holtz.

I agree with you. I just think it’s going to take a little adjustment time. I’m very much looking forward to Holtz finding himself open in that Ovechkin area of the ice. Hughes, Bratt, Hamilton, etc will be able to find him. I saw some highlights where Holtz was managing to get himself “lost” in the chaos of a power play, then popping up for a scoring chance. I’d love to see some of that next year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I think Mercer making the team over him made a lot of Devils fans doubt him but I think that his style demands more development time to become elite. And that’s what the Devils are hoping he’ll become. 

I expect to see Palat-Hughes-Holtz to start the season. Bratt brings out the offensive side of Nico. We need Holtz with Hughes to put away those passes from Hughes no one sees coming.

I would like to see Palat-Hughes-Sharangovich, Mercer-Nico-Bratt, Foote-Zetterlund-Holtz, Wood-Haula-Boqvist.  On defense Graves-Hamilton, Seigenthaler-Severson, Okhutyuk-Nemec.

9 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

i still don't think wood is playin this year. bastian is perfect for the 4th line. 

I’m inclined to agree with you and that is why he isn’t signed yet.  He may not score like Wood, but he has a strong net front presence and I think his hockey IQ is higher.

2 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I’m inclined to agree with you and that is why he isn’t signed yet.  He may not score like Wood, but he has a strong net front presence and I think his hockey IQ is higher.

i would love if wood is healthy and on the team. like i said before.. he's what this team needs. basically a very poor mans mk. bastian is ok. i believe he fits the 4th line fine.  remember i don't know much about hockey. 

The Devils and TF did not blow it by not getting MT, they should not have offered up, Bratt, Holtz, Severson and a 1, that is a horrible trade, come on folks.

Calgary was and still is in a no-win situation, they traded one pending FA, for 2 of them, so they improved their situation while getting a 3 years in the future 1st.

Unless they can sign the two players they traded for, they still are in a delaying blowing things up for a year situation, that personally I think is a bad mistake.

This years draft is the time if you have to do just do a full tear it down, and now Cal is praying they can sign these two very good players or they have to get late rd firsts at the deadline, and prospects who the teams don't probably love, see the fact Florida did not give up the 1 player they love.

The Devils are in a great situation, yes the last decade has sucked, but some of you are lucky you did not grow up before 87 happened and we were the laughing stock of the league.

They have 2 under 20 year old defenseman, 1 who was drafted 4th who in a redraft would no doubt be the 1st pick today, who is also younger than everyone at the top of his draft class. The other we just picked 2nd overall who would not have been there if we traded back, he both was a safer pick then Wright with his coming out now interview and motor issues and he has a much higher ceiling.

They now have 2 potential 1 defenseman in the system, that is something that is worth it's weight in gold, and yes there will be many nights some or most of you, including myself are worried about mistakes Hughes and Nemic will make that leads to goals for the other teams.

We have 2 centers who eat 40 minutes a night and 1 of them has many nights where he is one of the most dynamic players in the league. They are both locked down for a long time. We have a 6th rd pick who dominated when he was on the ice last season. Yes, I wish he and his agent, plus the team got along better, but he should be locked down soon, if not long term, then a 3 year deal that is not great, but it might be something we have to deal with.

They have a 1st rd Swede who put up great numbers in the AHL playing his 1st year on a smaller ice surface, who struggled playing in the NHL. This should not be oh no he sucks we need to trade him situation, it should be lets be a little patient, and see if his very real success in the AHL can translate to the NHL over a summer of the player working on his weaknesses.

They also have one of the best young Russian players not currently in the NHL who only has 1 year left on his deal, so horrible world news aside, hopefully he will be a part of the team at the end of this season in some way.

I and everyone else can worry and sh!t post about the goalie situation, but the team has tried now for 3 years to fix it, a retirement, an injury to the two goalies they brought in, to go along with two years of Covid, plus injury that has turned what I honestly believed was a very good young goaltender into a complete ? mark that has turned wins into losses and ruined last season.

This long ass post is not to neglect the very real concerns and or PSTD that fans are feeling after the last season, but just a reminder that the Devils are in an actual great situation for their future, and if the goalies are just average, this is a at worse contending for the playoffs team.

Now go try and get Tarasenko if possible, and call every team that would both need and want Severson and see what his market is, and make that deal if the price is right.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

The Devils and TF did not blow it by not getting MT, they should not have offered up, Bratt, Holtz, Severson and a 1, that is a horrible trade, come on folks.

Calgary was and still is in a no-win situation, they traded one pending FA, for 2 of them, so they improved their situation while getting a 3 years in the future 1st.

Unless they can sign the two players they traded for, they still are in a delaying blowing things up for a year situation, that personally I think is a bad mistake.

This years draft is the time if you have to do just do a full tear it down, and now Cal is praying they can sign these two very good players or they have to get late rd firsts at the deadline, and prospects who the teams don't probably love, see the fact Florida did not give up the 1 player they love.

The Devils are in a great situation, yes the last decade has sucked, but some of you are lucky you did not grow up before 87 happened and we were the laughing stock of the league.

They have 2 under 20 year old defenseman, 1 who was drafted 4th who in a redraft would no doubt be the 1st pick today, who is also younger than everyone at the top of his draft class. The other we just picked 2nd overall who would not have been there if we traded back, he both was a safer pick then Wright with his coming out now interview and motor issues and he has a much higher ceiling.

They now have 2 potential 1 defenseman in the system, that is something that is worth it's weight in gold, and yes there will be many nights some or most of you, including myself are worried about mistakes Hughes and Nemic will make that leads to goals for the other teams.

We have 2 centers who eat 40 minutes a night and 1 of them has many nights where he is one of the most dynamic players in the league. They are both locked down for a long time. We have a 6th rd pick who dominated when he was on the ice last season. Yes, I wish he and his agent, plus the team got along better, but he should be locked down soon, if not long term, then a 3 year deal that is not great, but it might be something we have to deal with.

They have a 1st rd Swede who put up great numbers in the AHL playing his 1st year on a smaller ice surface, who struggled playing in the NHL. This should not be oh no he sucks we need to trade him situation, it should be lets be a little patient, and see if his very real success in the AHL can translate to the NHL over a summer of the player working on his weaknesses.

They also have one of the best young Russian players not currently in the NHL who only has 1 year left on his deal, so horrible world news aside, hopefully he will be a part of the team at the end of this season in some way.

I and everyone else can worry and sh!t post about the goalie situation, but the team has tried now for 3 years to fix it, a retirement, an injury to the two goalies they brought in, to go along with two years of Covid, plus injury that has turned what I honestly believed was a very good young goaltender into a complete ? mark that has turned wins into losses and ruined last season.

This long ass post is not to neglect the very real concerns and or PSTD that fans are feeling after the last season, but just a reminder that the Devils are in an actual great situation for their future, and if the goalies are just average, this is a at worse contending for the playoffs team.

Now go try and get Tarasenko if possible, and call every team that would both need and want Severson and see what his market is, and make that deal if the price is right.

taresnko would like nice in red. i am gonna go off the wall, but i'd offer and unprotected first for him. if we don't make the playoffs with him we deserve to lose. 

Just now, pumpkin cutter said:

taresnko would like nice in red. i am gonna go off the wall, but i'd offer and unprotected first for him. if we don't make the playoffs with him we deserve to lose. 

Hell, i was hesitant being willing to trade an unprotected first for Tkachuk.

However every molecules in my entire body agrees that i'd never trade an unprotected first for a few months of 30 years old Tarasenko when that pick could be Bedard, Michkov or wtv.

37 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm sure Fitz tried real hard. But as a GM all you can do is try at times. Takes 2 to tango

In this situation it actually took three to tango: us, the Flames to make the trade, and Tkachuk to sign an extension.