2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Obviously Calgary doesn’t wanna tear it all down either. This is clearly more of a retool move. Maybe Huberdeau indicated he’d sign there before the deal, who knows. 

Yeah like I said in a previous post, they effectively managed to replace JG by snagging Huberdeau…that’s huge.  This allows them to have a chance not to bail on this thing just yet.  They do have to sell Huberdeau on sticking around…they have a year to do it.  

• Like 1

There is also the fact that maybe Fitz knew firsthand, that Matt would not sign long term here. I believe that we were out because of NJ taxes and the cost of living here and NOTHING else. Our team is good enough to attract FAs (see Hamilton) if they are not about money savings first. 

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah like I said in a previous post, they effectively managed to replace JG by snagging Huberdeau…that’s huge.  This allows them to have a chance not to bail on this thing just yet.  They do have to sell Huberdeau on sticking around…they have a year to do it.  

For Huberdeau, this has gotta sting. He’s a lifetime Panther, drafted there in 2011. Grew with that core, they have their best season ever, he has his best season ever from a production standpoint- and boom, traded. I don’t care who you are- that hurts. I can imagine he’s feeling conflicting emotions today. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

Fortunately, there are always good wingers available.  Hell, we’ve seen JG, Tkachuk, Huberdeau and Debrincat all move in the last two weeks and Pat Kane is still out there.   We’ll eventually get that high scoring winger.  More importantly, we’re set at center and Fitz has done a nice job with the defense to the point that it looks to be a strength.  

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Fortunately, there are always good wingers available.  Hell, we’ve seen JG, Tkachuk, Huberdeau and Debrincat all move in the last two weeks and Pat Kane is still out there.   We’ll eventually get that high scoring winger.  More importantly, we’re set at center and Fitz has done a nice job with the defense to the point that it looks to be a strength.  

He’s gonna be a Rag. You can book that. 

10 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I'd like to go for Timo Meier or Pastrnak now

8 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

if we are in the playoff race. do we trade our ufas? 

Depends which ones and depends on how some other players are playing. But we can't do the whole "if we're in a playoffs spot we NEED to keep everyone and go all-in" at this point. We're still building a team that can win a cup, we're not contenders.

I'd re-sign Graves for sure cause we need him.

Tatar and Johnsson HAS to go. There's just no spot for them on this roster and it would clear salaries.

Haula i assume it depends on how Zetterlund, Boqvist and McLeod are playing. 

Severson i'd re-sign him but we have Nemec, Hughes and Mukhs potentially coming next season and there's only so many spots so trading him wouldn't be the worst thing. 

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

They’re $4m over the cap as it is and are 12 months away from needing to pay Knight and 3 months away from Duclair and his $3.5m coming off of IR. 

Dude it’s easy, bob is suddenly going to become allergic to his goalie mask. Boom. LTIR and all the space

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MB3 said:

Since I’m pouting I’ll just come out and say it: why the fvck do we give a squirt of sh!t about Jesper Bratt? If the Devils give him $8 per I’ll stab someone.

I’m such a gigantic loser of a homer with everyone but I don’t see it at all with this guy. In his entire career he’s had one season where he looks like he belongs on the top line, and it’s coincidentally the season where THE ENTIRE LEAGUE had a breakout year.

He’s so fvcking small, he’s so fvcking easily pushed around and while it’s fun watching him make a couple of cute little dekes, who gives a rats ass when he never finds the back of the net? He disappears for 15-20 games at a time, and when he’s not scoring it’s not like he fights or hits or plays even a shrivel of passable defense. 

Tell me how I’m wrong because I want to get excited about re-signing this guy, but I just don’t… give a fvck. He’s a rich man’s Andreas Johnsson, and we’re broke as hell.

Mad Max Reaction GIF

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Depends which ones and depends on how some other players are playing. 

Tatar and Johnsson HAS to go. There's just no spot for them on this roster and it would clear salaries.

Severson i'd re-sign him but we have Nemec, Hughes and Mukhs potentially coming next season and there's only so many spots so trading him wouldn't be the worst thing. 

I agree with re-signing graves. I thought he was great. As for the rest we’re on the same page. Severson is pretty much on the way out you gotta think. Go figure we are gettin stacked at rd finally*.

*on paper 

24 minutes ago, MB3 said:

They’re $4m over the cap as it is and are 12 months away from needing to pay Knight and 3 months away from Duclair and his $3.5m coming off of IR. 

I know they are in a tough spot. But they are not trading their 20 yo top forward prospect who they drafted 12th overall 2 years ago and who's getting paid less than a million over the next 2 seasons... to clear a bit of cap space. It just makes no sense for them

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Our biggest offseason acquisition (besides the improvement from getting rid of Zacha) will be the addition of Holtz. The amount of posters ready to ship this kid off has been a case study in groupthink...and based off what? He had a productive first year in North America.

He will be a star in this league playing next to Jack. He already is the best shot on the team. Book him for being in the Calder front runner conversation this season. 

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

The Panthers?   

Yeah, once they trade Huberdeau and Weegar at the deadline. 

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Book him for being in the Calder front runner conversation this season. 

Bold prediction and I like it. 

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

Our biggest offseason acquisition (besides the improvement from getting rid of Zacha) will be the addition of Holtz. The amount of posters ready to ship this kid off has been a case study in groupthink...and based off what? He had a productive first year in North America.

He will be a star in this league playing next to Jack. He already is the best shot on the team. Book him for being in the Calder front runner conversation this season. 

agreed. i think the fanbase is so used to having dud prospects that it just comes natural to be disappointed. i really hope this kid works out. imagine having a goal scoring winger?!

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

Not seeing it, but I’m absolutely rooting for you to be right about this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

I think Mercer making the team over him made a lot of Devils fans doubt him but I think that his style demands more development time to become elite. And that’s what the Devils are hoping he’ll become. 

I expect to see Palat-Hughes-Holtz to start the season. Bratt brings out the offensive side of Nico. We need Holtz with Hughes to put away those passes from Hughes no one sees coming.

49 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Depends which ones and depends on how some other players are playing. But we can't do the whole "if we're in a playoffs spot we NEED to keep everyone and go all-in" at this point. We're still building a team that can win a cup, we're not contenders.

I’d like to re-sign Graves, but luckily we have Mukh, Luke, Okhotiuk, etc coming up on the left. I still like what Graves brings though. 

Severson you have to trade if he’s not re-signing. What the Devils are willing to pay him will probably depend on if Nemec can make the team and make an impact. You can probably get something nice in return for Seves from a top seed. 

If Fitz can manage to unload Johnsson or Tatar for anything I’ll be ecstatic. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

For Huberdeau, this has gotta sting. He’s a lifetime Panther, drafted there in 2011. Grew with that core, they have their best season ever, he has his best season ever from a production standpoint- and boom, traded. I don’t care who you are- that hurts. I can imagine he’s feeling conflicting emotions today. 

And I’m sure the Flames realize this and will do EVERY last thing to make Huberdeau feel welcome and like he’s a HUGE part of their plans…starting with “We weren’t comfortable making a deal like this without you becoming a part of this franchise.”  

• Like 1