Andy Greene Officially Retires as A Devil

Devil Dan 56

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

As a Devil. Very good.

Even though he was a Hobey Baker winner, I always considered him to be an overachiever...did anyone ever think he was going to play in 1057 regular season games (923 as a Devil)?  I love those guys, I admit it...the Randy McKays and others who wind up becoming much more than anyone could have expected.  

Curious to see if he starts coming to camps to help out...or has any interest in coaching someday.    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

He was a finalist, not a winner. But the point remains valid. 

Ah I stand corrected.  For some reason I thought he'd actually won it. 

40 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ah I stand corrected.  For some reason I thought he'd actually won it. 

Lost to Matt Carle, who had similar NHL stats in many fewer games, for whatever that is worth. 

I’m more impressed by Greene, who stuck around longer and was undrafted. Not an easy thing to accomplish. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Even though he was a Hobey Baker winner, I always considered him to be an overachiever...did anyone ever think he was going to play in 1057 regular season games (923 as a Devil)?  I love those guys, I admit it...the Randy McKays and others who wind up becoming much more than anyone could have expected.  

Curious to see if he starts coming to camps to help out...or has any interest in coaching someday.    

Yes, he was an overachiever. Good word for Greene. 

Hey, I like this. 

Congrats to Andy. Hell of a career. Wish we could have brought one home in 2012. 

Love any of these undrafted guys who made the league. Gotta think it's twice as hard to go undrafted today and make it and stick. 

Nice gesture for the team to have a nice little perk for guys like that. They don't all need jerseys retired necessarily, but even a night to say thanks for sticking with the team, good times and bad. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Hey, I like this. 

Congrats to Andy. Hell of a career. Wish we could have brought one home in 2012. 

Love any of these undrafted guys who made the league. Gotta think it's twice as hard to go undrafted today and make it and stick. 

Nice gesture for the team to have a nice little perk for guys like that. They don't all need jerseys retired necessarily, but even a night to say thanks for sticking with the team, good times and bad. 

If the Devils EVER get a proper Ring of Fire going, I wouldn't have any issue with him getting a night.  Former Devils who have played almost 1000 games as a Devil are few and far between...he's 7th on the Devils all-time list for GP (6th for skaters).  And not only was he named Captain at one point, I remember many of us being fully behind that at the time...says a lot.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils EVER get a proper Ring of Fire going, I wouldn't have any issue with him getting a night.  Former Devils who have played almost 1000 games as a Devil are few and far between...he's 7th on the Devils all-time list for GP (6th for skaters).  And not only was he named Captain at one point, I remember many of us being fully behind that at the time...says a lot.

This is my main problem with ownership. With all of the initiatives they put out, to not have a hall of fame or ring of fire bugs me. There are so many players that shouldn't get number retire BUT honored in this way. Sarge is #1. I wish they pushed NJ Devil history more.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

This is my main problem with ownership. With all of the initiatives they put out, to not have a hall of fame or ring of fire bugs me. There are so many players that shouldn't get number retire BUT honored in this way. Sarge is #1. I wish they pushed NJ Devil history more.

Yeah, my list for future R-O-F players (in no particular order):

Greene

Brylin

Langs

McKay

Rafalski

Terreri

MacLean

Driver

White

Holik

Zajac

Lemieux

Might be a couple off the top of my head that I'm not thinking off...guess cases could be made for Muller, Richer and even Parise, thought I can't say any of them scream "Gotta get in!" to me.  But opinions of course will vary.

And I agree, especially in what's been sh!tty times, sometimes nights where former players who earned a place in Devils folklore and actually won some sh!t get some lasting recognition make for a fun evening out to a game...and there's players throughout Devils history worthy of a night of their own.  And yeah, would be nice to see some kind of Ring Of Fire room to check out...would love to take my daughter to such a place, show her some Devils history (though she sees plenty of that in my basement, heh heh).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Greene

Brylin

Langs

McKay

Rafalski

Terreri

MacLean

Driver

White

Holik

Zajac

Lemieux

Might be a couple off the top of my head that I'm not thinking off...guess cases could be made for Muller, Richer and even Parise, thought I can't say any of them scream "Gotta get in!" to me.  But opinions of course will vary.

And I agree, especially in what's been sh!tty times, sometimes nights where former players who earned a place in Devils folklore and actually won some sh!t get some lasting recognition make for a fun evening out to a game...and there's players throughout Devils history worthy of a night of their own.  And yeah, would be nice to see some kind of Ring Of Fire room to check out...would love to take my daughter to such a place, show her some Devils history (though she sees plenty of that in my basement, heh heh).  

Pretty solid list. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Greene

Brylin

Langs

McKay

Rafalski

Terreri

MacLean

Driver

White

Holik

Zajac

Lemieux

I think Langenbrunner should be on that list too. A former captain, and we don’t win the 2003 Cup without him.

Edited by MadDog2020

27 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think Langenbrunner should be on that list too. A former captain, and we don’t win the 2003 Cup without him.

Well…

He already is lol

• Like 1