GDT: 10/25/2022 Devils @ Red Wings Please Damon Don't Do Anything Stupid

Colorado Rockies 1976

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's nice that they're actually starting to push in the sh!t of bad teams, but until they start coming up with competitive games with some results after they stop playing the little sisters of the poor pretty much every game (aside from the Caps, who they got housed by as usual) I'll still be a bit skeptical.

Friday will be an interesting measuring stick for the Devils. Do they come out like the Devils that played most of tonight or do they come out timid and unsure of themselves and look like they did against Washington. I’m hoping the coaching staff is able to prepare them to compete. It would definitely start turning heads in league

8 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak
Bratt this summer 

The good news is that as long as he really wants to stay (he did say that he does), the money will be there to make it happen.  Out of the soon-to-be UFA crop, the only player that I see the Devils potentially keeping is Haula (vet presence who shouldn’t cost much, but obviously gotta see how he pans out over a full season here).

Tatar, Johnsson, Wood, Graves, Severson, Bernier…is there any reason to bring any of them back?  And that’s not to suggest everyone on this list is lousy…more that the Devils have enough homegrown players on much cheaper deals to slot in when these guys are gone…there’s no reason to pony up for any of them.  Holtz, Zetterlund, Nemec, L Hughes, Muk…and could be some other cheap kids coming back if Seves gets dealt in-season.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You know you are on NJDevs when, after a dominant win, and arguably Bratt’s best game of the season, people still find something to complain about. 

Enjoy the win, boys. 

It’s a perfectly fair thing to bring up, imo considering Bratt is in a contract year. I can’t imagine he likes getting snubbed on ice time.

It’s nothing to go off the deep end about, but it’s something to keep and eye on. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, devlman said:

12:46 of ice time for Bratt. Only ahead of Holtz and Mercer. Even McLeod got more ice time. Still posted 3 points.

I get we had a comfortable lead and played the night before but how many top players do you see post 12 mins of ice time…

36148EAD-45C5-42D6-8AE3-CADD9ADC534A.gif

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s a perfectly fair thing to bring up, imo considering Bratt is in a contract year. I can’t imagine he likes getting snubbed on ice time (which has happened twice in 6 games). 

It’s nothing to go off the deep end about, but it’s something to keep and eye on. 

What’s the theory, Ruff doesn’t realize the guy leading the NHL in points should be on the ice? That’s a ridiculous theory.  Something else is at play. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

What’s the theory, Ruff doesn’t realize the guy leading the NHL in points should be on the ice? That’s a ridiculous theory.  Something else is at play. 

Who the hell knows. That’s why we’re talking about it. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

36148EAD-45C5-42D6-8AE3-CADD9ADC534A.gif

51 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Who the hell knows. That’s why we’re talking about it. 

It could be load management without going NBA wussy mode and sitting games, and the fact they grabbed that game by the balls in the 3rd.

i only thought of that possibility on the drive to work this morning.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hehehe.

But seriously, its possible. What were Jack's minutes, and what were both guys' minutes in the third?

Jack had 16:03. 

Again, not the biggest deal in the world. At the end of the day they won handily. Just something to monitor. Ruff would certainly not be the first coach (especially old school coaches) to favor plugs over skill guys because “reasons.”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Jack had 16:03. 

Again, not the biggest deal in the world. At the end of the day they won handily. Just something to monitor. Ruff would certainly not be the first coach (especially old school coaches) to favor plugs over skill guys because “reasons.”

Could be. Maybe Jesper has a huge ego and doesn't work hard in practice or something. Or he could be nursing an injury. 

Like someone else mentioned above, watching the game it certainly didn't feel like his ice time was limited, it seemed like he was out there a lot.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Could be. Maybe Jesper has a huge ego and doesn't work hard in practice or something. Or he could be nursing an injury. 

Like someone else mentioned above, watching the game it certainly didn't feel like his ice time was limited, it seemed like he was out there a lot.

Probably a good example of just how dynamic of a player he's turning into.

I wasn't bullish on giving him a massive deal in the summer but he's shoving it up my hoop. Give him whatever he wants. Keep him around for a long fvcking time. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Probably a good example of just how dynamic of a player he's turning into.

I wasn't bullish on giving him a massive deal in the summer but he's shoving it up my hoop. Give him whatever he wants. Keep him around for a long fvcking time. 

Pretty much. Getting a guy in the 6th round and having to pay a ton of cash because he's so good kind of sounds like what you'd be looking for as a GM...

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Pretty much. Getting a guy in the 6th round and having to pay a ton of cash because he's so good kind of sounds like what you'd be looking for as a GM...

yeah especially in a draft year that was pretty weak. We knew drafting McLeod that we weren't getting anything amazing at that point. There was a big dropoff of talent after Jost. And even Jost ended up being a bust. 

Of course in hindsight there's some amazing players that were selected after but at the time of the draft it really wasn't clear.

Just finished the game, nice to see what this team can do with some solid goaltending and special teams and finally getting all the goals to go in with all the shots they have been taken. 

Also nice to see them send the Detroit fans to the exits early, we've had that happen at home 2x already. Would like to see them close out October with 2 home wins and establish some dominance in our home arena.

Gonna be a big test against the defending champs and Columbus who we haven't played well against for years now. 

• Like 2

So heard that blurb about Tim Higgins starting the 1985-86 season with the longest point streak to…well, start a Devils season (10 games).  So of course had to look it up, just to go see how many points he put up.  Turns out it was…10.  5 goals and 5 assists.  Can’t say the dude wasn’t steady I guess.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Just finished the game, nice to see what this team can do with some solid goaltending and special teams and finally getting all the goals to go in with all the shots they have been taken. 

Also nice to see them send the Detroit fans to the exits early, we've had that happen at home 2x already. Would like to see them close out October with 2 home wins and establish some dominance in our home arena.

Gonna be a big test against the defending champs and Columbus who we haven't played well against for years now. 

At least Cam Atkinson is on the Flyers and not CBJ to double kill us… wait… sh!t…

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, nessus said:

This is the second game in a row where my main takeaway is that Marino is such a beast. And that is saying a lot since there was so much to like about that game. But, what an amazing trade Fitz pulled off there.

Here are some of the numbers to back it up. 

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2022/10/26/23423915/stunning-start-john-marino-time-new-jersey-stats-eye-test-marino-great-defenseman-already

It's not just the eye test. He has been dominant to start the year. I am hoping he keeps it up. It could be a surprising year from him offensively even. 

I don't know who Fitz has running the pro scouting team, but Marino and Siegs alone are fvcking homeruns. That's a top two on a rebuilding team and a 2nd pairing on a super deep playoff team. Price tag is *chef's kiss*.

Marino over Severson and you have Marino mentoring Luke next year and helping him on the d end. Siegs and Hamilton top pair and then Nemec and Bahl. Watch em grow(Nemec&Luke). Look the fvck out.

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 3